Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The california registration process for SB100

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

The california registration process for SB100

This is the best write up I've seen on the subject, so I thought I'd share for the Californian's out there. So, if you're ready, kick back, grab a beer and take your time to read this THOROUGHLY. TWICE! I thought I had and hit some snags because it is a lot of info. If you have questions PM me.

e

http://home.thegrid.net/~ffr4776/SB100_Registration.pdf To print out.

Page 1 of 4
    Registration in California is fairly straightforward. There are a number of steps that have to be taken, some forms that have to be filled out, and an inspection or two to go through. I have found that it's always best to bring down everything you can possibly imagine when registering your car. Be over-prepared. Be organized. And don't forget to bring your checkbook!

California Vehicle Code, as it relates to replicas,
    reads:
    "...Section 580. A "specially constructed
    vehicle" is a vehicle which is built for
    private use, not for resale, and is not constructed by a licensed manufacturer or remanufacturer. A
    specially constructed vehicle may be built from (1) a kit; (2) new or used, or a combination of new
    and used, parts; or (3) a vehicle reported for dismantling, as required by Section 5500 or 11520,
    which, when reconstructed, does not resemble the original make of the vehicle dismantled. A specially
    constructed vehicle is not a vehicle which has been repaired or restored to its original design by
    replacing parts..."

So, technically, if your car was built by a manufacturer (for instance, ****** American, Inc. claims to be a
    licensed automobile manufacturer (****** Series One)) then you can't register it as a Specially Constructed
    Vehicle; and these cars should meet all of the criteria form the DOT for a brand new car (like SRS/air bags, 5 MPH
    bumpers, seat belts, anti-lock brakes, anti-intrusion beams, and - most importantly - they should have brand
    new engines with all the necessary smog and noise abatement equipment on them).
    You have to have built your car, or had it built for private use by someone other than a licensed manufacturer or
    remanufacturer.

SB100
    Perhaps the single greatest contribution to the California kit car builder comes from Senator K. Maurice
    Johannessen, who penned SB1911 (struck down by the California Air Resources Board...although Gov. Davis - in
    a letter that contained exactly the verbage of a letter from CARB - said he would not sign the bill), and then
    refurbished it to be SB100. The differences between the bills being that SB100 limits the number of cars that can
    be registered to 500; the previous bill had no such restriction.
    The newer - and passed! - legislation allows private builders to register their cars as smog exempt - assuming
    that you meet all of the necessary criteria.

In a nutshell, SB100 allows you to register your car as a BRAND NEW car (called a 'SPCN'), with a 1965 smog
    exemption. Do not attempt to register your kit in California with a bogus Alabama title, or sneak past the
    DMV...they'll eventually find you and impound your car. And if you signed any paper making any kind of bogus
    claim...well, you sign all of those papers "under penalty of perjury," which could mean jail time. Don't lose your
    car, don't go to jail, just follow the steps outlined below.
    What California Is Looking For

First and foremost, the DMV isn't looking to keep your car off the road. I'm sure that if you could drive it, they'd
    license a tree. What they are interested in is getting their fees. This is the most important part of the whole
    license process, and the part that seems to throw up the most red flags. Red flags are bad. How you can avoid
    getting in any trouble is to be able to five an accurate number when asked how much your car costs. Don't say
    it's been in storage for years. Don't say you got it for an absurdly low amount of money. The DMV - contrary to
    every counter person I've ever had to deal with at any of the local offices - isn't stupid. Bring receipts, documents
    that show how, where and for how much you purchased parts for, etc. A good median line for Cobras is between
    $25,000 and $50,000. Be prepared to pay title, tax and licensing fees on that amount.

The Hoops You Must Jump Through To Get Registered
    The new SB100 law allows the first 500 people per year to pretty much fly through the registration process. If
    you pay attention to what I write, California registration is absurdly easy.... Just make sure that you have all of
    the necessary documentation with you and ready when you go to the DMV, and make sure the person you're
    talking to at the DMV is fully aware of what a kit car is (SPCN), and that they know all about SB100.
    Last edited by ehansen007; 03-22-2012 at 11:29 PM.