Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wagon donor - Yay or Nay?

Post Thanks / Like

Wagon donor - Yay or Nay?

I've been checking the NASIOC classifieds looking for my 818 donor. There have been some really good deals on WRX wagons but I've hesitated buying them since I want a single donor. Based on the known parts list I don't see a problem with using the wagon, I just wanted to do a reality check before I make a purchase.

Post Thanks / Like
    The only issues that would be a concerned about are control arm and CV shaft length, it relates to a slightly narrower track on the wagons.

While FFR hasn't said specifically that they are aware of, and accounting for, differences - they do have a track record of dealing with this exact issue on the Roadster kits as the Mustang donors got wider after the '93 model year.

I would buy a wagon without hesitation (on this subject).

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, that's what I needed to hear. So worst case scenario I'm scouring NASIOC again for control arms and buying CV axles online. Not too bad, I can live with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm imagining that the shorter wagon width would accomodate a larger wheel offset on the 818. I can see it being a sought after setup for those wanting such a wheel appearance. So my thoughts are there would be builders willing to trade their longer for shorter, and verse-vica.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuul View Post
    So worst case scenario I'm scouring NASIOC again for control arms and buying CV axles online.
    Worse case is you'll be looking for control arms. You can interchange the axles between a sedan and a wagon, even though they are not the same length. It's close enough. There's enough play in the race (inner cup that mates to the transmission) to allow them to work without bottoming/popping out.