Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Steering Column Flange Bearing

Post Thanks / Like

Steering Column Flange Bearing

I recently purchased a Mk III roadster and have noticed that there is about 1/16" or so of vertical play between the bearing and flange that is mounted on the foot box. I also notice and feel the play in the bearing when driving the car as i ride over uneven surfaces. Is this normal or should the flange bearing be replaced?

Post Thanks / Like
    Assure that both halves of the retainer are on the same side if the footbox front wall; i.e. not "sandwiching" it. If that is the case it will not hold the bearing tightly.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff, when you refer to "retainer" do you mean the bearing flanges and not the collar? I know the collar is on the engine side of the footbox but I am not sure about the bearing flanges. I will look this evening.

Thanks,
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, flange ---->

FFR instructs to put them on the engine side but when doing a vacuum power brake mod they go to the inside with the collar pointing rearward. Functionally I don't see where it makes any difference as long as they are back to back with one another.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff,
    Thanks for the information. I checked the installation when I got home this evening and found that the original owner installed one flange on the ouside and one on the inside of the foot box. I plan on removing it and installing both flanges on the outside so they sandwich the bearing properly. I believe that this should solve the problem.

Mike