Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fiberglass body durability...

Post Thanks / Like

Fiberglass body durability...

We do not know at this point if FF is planning on a full body, like the GTM or the roadster, or if they are planning on something more EXO, like the Atom. Or maybe something in-between. I am not, however, trying to change their plans-- too much of that going on already.

I am curious, from those with experience, about the rigidity of a fiberglass body. Can it stand up to day-to-day use as well as a steel counterpart? Does it flex when leaned on? Does it sag or shift over time or on a hot day?

I'm assuming, like steel, compound curves are good and flat sections are bad? Smaller areas (such as an EXO panel) tend to be stiffer and more durable than a large clam-shell (such as a rear cover/fender/bumper molding)?

Just trying to educate myself. You never know, I might develop some creativity and magically learn to draw by March 1st. (yeah right)

Post Thanks / Like
    Corvette's are fiberglass...

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just like steel...........untill you hit something, then its diferent! sTEVEN
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    New Corvettes are not hand laid fiberglass, if they are even fiberglass at all anymore .

I have read restoration logs on old Corvettes talking about how the body has sagged or cracked over time. I am just wondering how far the technology has come and what kinds of designs we can truly expect to be long term durable. I fully realize that this isn't the age of the '70s Fiberfab VW rebodies anymore and I'm just wondering what kind of fit/finish/level of detail is expected on a modern kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    New Corvettes are not hand laid fiberglass, if they are even fiberglass at all anymore .

I have read restoration logs on old Corvettes talking about how the body has sagged or cracked over time. I am just wondering how far the technology has come and what kinds of designs we can truly expect to be long term durable. I fully realize that this isn't the age of the '70s Fiberfab VW rebodies anymore and I'm just wondering what kind of fit/finish/level of detail is expected on a modern kit.
    Keep in mind those vette's are 50's-70's vintage and were owned by "normal" people. Given modern technology and an enthusiast assembling it (and designing it!) this should stand up much better.