FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coyote experts: knowledge needed!! (lot's of pictures)

Factory Five Distributor Hammink Performance's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Coyote experts: knowledge needed!! (lot's of pictures)

Allright so here it go's!

I am building a Coyote powered Factory Five Challenge car. Since this is the first FFR I build using the Coyote motor, I would like to ask you guys if I am not missing anything. Nothing is mounted fixed jet, but I am just waiting for my header flanges, CAI, and P/S hardware you guys, before I do mount everything for the last time.to come before I can start the car, so now would be the time to ask

(btw it's also the first race car I built, so also here I am open to any tips or comments!)

engine bay shots

back side of engine

top view of engine bay

did I hook up the alternator correctly? What can I do for oil pressure sender (for the gauge) since I am using oil filter relocation
    Last edited by Hammink Performance; 05-01-2012 at 05:10 AM.
    Distributor of Factory Five for Europe
    www.hamminkperformance.com

Post Thanks / Like

front mounted oil filter for easy service acces, also plan to run oil cooler from there forward. (will test the car without first)
    the belt shows where the P/S pump will come

oil temp gauge sending unit

is this a valid location for the water temp sending unit? its in front of the passenger side cyl head

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great.
    I am no expert, as I have yet to purchase my Coyote, let alone install it.

Good luck!
    Confidence: The feeling you have before you truly understand the situation. FFR 7652 Mk IV Base Kit w/IRS: ordered 10/19/2011; Arrived 11/19/2011. Coyote, Trans & headers Installed 9/11/17. First Start 12/19/17, First Go-cart 3/2/18. Aligned and go-karting. Working the interior now. Happy customer of FFR, North RaceCars, Forte's, and Breeze.
    Chris Lewis

Post Thanks / Like
    I have asked Ford Racing about the water temp sensor location and there is a frost plug on the drivers side that can be used for the water temp sensor (with an adapter) see photo.Frost Plug for Water Temp sensor.jpg050 engine intake.JPG043 fuel regulator.JPG

I have attached a few other pics as well

Forte's Parts Connection
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    I added 2 heater billet aluminum hose plugs to cover the unused water hose connections. These are superior to the rubber hose plugs that are prone to "popping" which then pukes all the coolant. This happens on the hottest days or while racing..

Post Thanks / Like
    @ Jester,

Thank you for the photo's, I fear though that if I use your location for the water temp sensor, that there will be no room for an oil pressure sender. (if there is now)

Does anybody know if the location I choose is valid for a gauge sender?

Post Thanks / Like
    very cool! challenge car with a coyote in it, jealous
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good so far. I put the water temp sensor in the supply line to my heater so I can't comment on your location. Also, the 2011+ Mustangs have a line from the top of the radiator back in to the overflow. I assume it's to keep an air pocket at the top of the radiator from forming. I used the 2011+ overflow, and it looks like you used a 2010. Only difference is another inlet.

For oil pressure, can you just add another "t" fitting to the line to hook up the pressure sensor? Not the prettiest, but it would get the job done. Your passenger side front is going to get very crowded when you add the power steering and reservoir.

Also, I'd put some tape over the exhaust ports to keep dust out of the cylinders. The rest looks pretty good. Nice work.
    MK3.1 #7076 - Under Construction....
    Coyote 5.0/Solid 8.8/Tremec 3650
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering
    05-09 T3650 in a Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonS197 View Post
    Looks good so far. I put the water temp sensor in the supply line to my heater so I can't comment on your location.
    I will try my location and let you know what happens; I like the location because of clean look, but it has to function ofcourse
    Also, the 2011+ Mustangs have a line from the top of the radiator back in to the overflow. I assume it's to keep an air pocket at the top of the radiator from forming. I used the 2011+ overflow, and it looks like you used a 2010. Only difference is another inlet.
    What do you think, should I change my line from thermostat housing to radiator or leave it like I have it now with the 2010 tank?

For oil pressure, can you just add another "t" fitting to the line to hook up the pressure sensor? Not the prettiest, but it would get the job done.
    Since I use braided lines I was thinking in the remote oil filter adapter but than I would need to T anyway if I switch to oil cooler

Your passenger side front is going to get very crowded when you add the power steering and reservoir.

Also, I'd put some tape over the exhaust ports to keep dust out of the cylinders. The rest looks pretty good. Nice work.
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammink Performance View Post
    What do you think, should I change my line from thermostat housing to radiator or leave it like I have it now with the 2010 tank?
    I believe FFinisher used a 2010 tank and used a T to combine the t-stat housing line with the radiator line and then in to the overflow.
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are going to race the car you might want to look at the rules for the fuel pressure regulator mounting. I know for drag racing the regulator has to mounted to the motor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tip, I will definately check it (we won't be drag racing though, just for circuit use)

Post Thanks / Like
    @Hammink

I have attached some photos of my Oil pressure sender and Temp sender installed - should be no interference. Also attached a few additional photos - Champ Pan install etc

Can anyone post pics of the power distribution solenoid (Q: does the large wire from the battery attach to the same pole as the large wire to the starter - this is how I have mine wired - see below)

Oil pressure sender & Water Temp sender (1)
    Oil Pressure Sender_Water Temp sender_from below.jpg

Oil pressure sender & Water Temp sender (2)
    Oil Pressure Sender_Water Temp sender.jpg

Champ Pan installed (1)
    Champ Pan Installed.jpg

Champ Pan installed (2) view from side of frame rail - very nice pan
    Champ Pan _ side view of frame rails.jpg

Fuel regulator, Heater control valve & vaccum line in
    Fuel Regulator_Vaccum line_ heater control valve.jpg

Power distribution solenoid
    Power Distribution Solenoid_wires attached.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Solenoid? I didn't use one. I just used the OEM starter, Ron Francis harness, and FF ignition switch.
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You really do not need the solenoid if you are using the power control box that came with the control package. Also, run your vacuum line to one of the ports on the throttle body and plug the port on the back of the engine (per Ford Racing's tech).
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    The Power distribution solenoid is used by FFR in the Coyote Install instructions - see page 76.

I was just following these instructions - seems reasonable to me - wiring is relatively simple as well according to these instructions. I have wired my engine according to these instructions which uses the power distribition solenoid

Thoughts??

Thx

Post Thanks / Like
    I have installed a stock 2011 water reservoir container (overflow tank) for the rad and stock hoses connected to the overflow tank. I noticed the upper left hose that connects to the upper left corner of the rad (drivers side) has a check valve that only allows one way flow.

Which way should this hose be inatalled for proper flow - I assume the check valve is intended to allow excess water to flow out of the top of the rad into the tank and stop air from getting sucked back into the rad. Has anyone confirmed this?

Thx

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    The Power distribution solenoid is used by FFR in the Coyote Install instructions - see page 76.

I was just following these instructions - seems reasonable to me - wiring is relatively simple as well according to these instructions. I have wired my engine according to these instructions which uses the power distribition solenoid

Thoughts??

Thx
    Normally, the solenoid (starter relay) is used for two things: One, it acts as a relay so you don't need a 20 amp rated ignition key, and, two, it acts as a convenient place to connect all the 12V feeds. In the Coyote Power Distribution box, function #1 is handled by an internal relay. Function #2 can be handled by simply connecting your fuse box feeder to the fat terminal on the starter. The FFR relay is redundant and just provides another possible trouble spot.

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Thx oldguy,

Good point on reilability. I will try with the current set-up before removing the solenoid however won't be for a while - just waiting on headers/cats from FFR before I can spark the fire.

Thx

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    When you get some info on the check valve issue, please share it.

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    I have attached cooling system part numbers as provided by FRPP. The hose I am refering to is part #8075B.

I have installed as per the diagram - I need to verify the other stock hoses off the overflow tank do not have check valves - and are installed properly
    cooling system part numbers_FRPP.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe some dumb questions regarding the power distribution and the cooling system:

Can I use a battery cut of switch for as power distribution point? (I would do one side battery, other side the rest. I would keep the Ford Racing wire on the batt at all times though)

On the cooling system, is the overflow hose on the radiator engine dependant? Or should all roadsters have this problem since all radiators are in this spot?
    With our street roadster we have no problems and we just use an inline filler neck with the stainless overflow kit as supplied by FFR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Big header issue :P

I received these 4.6 shorty's, now I still need to weld the flange, but I thought to test fit it first.
    So I took out the studs from the block and held the header infront of the exhaust openings in the head.

NOW WHAT? :P it's sitting on my alternator!

Shake down is supposed to be 15 may which is 2 weeks from now :P

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The AST adapter flange is made to work with FFR 4-tube headers for the 2V engine, not for 4.6 shorties. You will have to wait for the new FFR shorties or go to the 4-tube header or fabricate your own.

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    The 4.6L shorties I bought hit the alternator on the driver's side, and the front of the block on the passenger side. Mine were Ford Racing for a 4.6L. You're two options are what oldguy said.

Perhaps you can get an advanced copy of the Factory Five headers since you have a little more pull than we do. Dave posted a pic on Facebook a couple weeks ago putting a set on the Mk4 Coyote.
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the quick reply's guys! I have bought these headers with flanges so I had assumed they would fit!

Have also asked FFR for a sample header, but they told us no. (this was a little while ago when they were still designing them)

The problem is that I need catalytic convertors.......

Post Thanks / Like
    I am pretty sure though no body but us will check the car so I can try running it without cats for the shakedown, and by the time we will race it I assume FFR's shorty's will be ready.

Who can help me get a pre-welded set of 4tube headers before next week? :P

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Where did you get the flanges?

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Forte's

Post Thanks / Like
    Oldguy - post #20

Re the check valve: I have confirmed that the stock hose coming off the DS of the Rad to the overflow tank (see diagram above for part number), has a check valve that only allows one way flow into the rad. Under pressure (when engine is running) this valve is closed to maintain the pressure within the cooling system so the coolant does not boil.

All other stock hoses off the overflow tank are free flowing.

Hope this helps. - You may want to speak with a FRPP tech for additional confirmation

Post Thanks / Like
    That would be the 8075B than, but again is this engine related or rad position related?
    Otherwise all roadsters should need this on their rads, correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My tank is for a non-GT application, so it does not have a spot for 8075B to connect. I used a tee connector from the radiator air bleed to the engine air bleed to the tank, connecting where 8075A does in your diagram. No issues yet but the weather was cool on the first two drives.

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    IF!!!! we get the chance to drive May 15 I will let you know how it go's!
    Otherwise I will also try what you did....

Post Thanks / Like
    pretty good news guys!! The headers came in this morning, and according to the tracking number I will also have the flanges today!!
    Big thank you to everybody involved!!

Regarding the o2 sensor, do I weld the bung in on of the 4 pipes? or where they come together in the side pipe?
    I figure the race car will be full throttle all the time so plenty of heat there I assume?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The instructions with the control pack gives you locations for the O2 bungs if you choose to put them into the header tubes. Some of us have just put them in the collector with no problems.

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reply oldguy668.

I had read the manual but it sais to re-calibrate if you choose one cylinder from each bank, that's also why I'd choose the collector.
    It doen't mention any real distance other than not to extend the harness for it, but this it seems is inevitable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Richard at North Racecars mentioned a while back that there are O2 sensor wiring extensions (pigtails) available from somewhere. Not sure where, but they do exist to purchase...
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Extending the harness is no problem. Just pay attention to the twisted pairs and follow the color code.

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Whats the torque spec for the nuts that bolt the header to the block?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    There's no room for a torque wrench so just make them tight. Check them after a few hundred miles.

Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast