Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Newcastle Brown Ale

Post Thanks / Like

Newcastle Brown Ale

Every few weeks I stop by a specialty beer shop and ask for suggestions. Most of the time I try what they suggest and not really care for it.

Then comes Newcastle Brown Ale. My new favorite adult beverage.

Anybody else have a favorite ale?
    Carl
    FFR #3635 306 w/powerdyne 9lb supercharger

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yeah
    BELGIUM beer, all of them are good! If you could get a hand on a Leffe, you'll love it!

Post Thanks / Like
    They are all good ... but on tap i prefer Guinness
    Jim
    ffr4541, non donour build, bad Ford crate engine, skinned knuckles, lots of fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my sons is a brewer for Pisgah Brewery in Asheville, NC. Whenever he comes to visit he brings gallon samples of their regular production runs, specials, or new brew test batches. Some are great, some are good, and some are downright awful. This leads me to your question regarding whether I have a favorite. Yeah...FREE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You should try the Dead Guy Ale Trilogy. Three different versions are out there. Great Tasting night thing to do. It is very hoppy if that is what you like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VeniceCobra View Post
    Oh yeah
    BELGIUM beer, all of them are good! If you could get a hand on a Leffe, you'll love it!
    English, very English, "Liquid Bread"

Give this one a try Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA

Pat
    Mark III 4630RD Explorer 302, Holley SA570, FRPP B-cam, 4 to 4's, 3 Link, Bullitt wheels, Baer Brakes, 3.73 gears, HD T-5, I2 wiring, Koni Coilovers, Classic Gauges. Jaguar Racing Green w/ Silver stripes

PM me if you live in Upstate New York. Get added to the "Upstate Cobras" email list. 60+ members!

Post Thanks / Like
    I generally work off the motto that says "If I can see through it, it really isn't beer".

Give me a proper Guiness, not cold, just cool and preferably give it to me while I am sitting in a pub somewhere in the British Isles because there is a world of difference.
    One FFR and one VFR. I like symmetry

Post Thanks / Like
    I really like the Breckenridge Vanilla Porter

But, I'm really into homebrew now. I have three different beers fermenting right now..

Bee Cave Robust Porter (Google for the recipe - It's suppose to be REALLY good!)

Market Street Brewery Vanilla Creme Ale Clone

New England Brewing Co. Atlantic Amber Clone
    Last edited by Joe; 02-20-2011 at 11:43 PM.
    Proudly Driving: FFR MKIII #5392, '89 donor, 306 EFI, T-5
    GT40P-Heads, 3-link, 8.8 / 3.55 Rear, 4 Wheel Disk Power Brakes,
    17" Halibrands, 4X4 Headers, Koni Shocks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulW View Post
    I generally work off the motto that says "If I can see through it, it really isn't beer".

Give me a proper Guiness, not cold, just cool and preferably give it to me while I am sitting in a pub somewhere in the British Isles because there is a world of difference.
    You are so right. Do you know there are actually people out there that think Bud Lite is beer
    Have you seriouse beer guys tried the Choclate Bock from Sam Adams? It's a very interesting brew.
    MKIII
    300 RWHP and Torque
    Crate 302, GT40 Heads, Quick Fuel Carb,TKO500
    Finally done. I think I will call her Black Betty

Post Thanks / Like
    If you like Newcastle, try Double Diamond.

I always know if a business lunch is going to be a good deal, if it's a three Guiness lunch.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    There a local brewery here just outside of Greensboro called Red Oak. Good beer. I dont usually drink anything stronger than miller lite...but really like Red Oak.

Post Thanks / Like

I work off the principle that says "If you can't see through it and drink it anyway, you'll feel like you just ate a Thanksgiving dinner." Even my son who is the brewer I mentioned in an earlier post admits that light beers have their place. Visualize a hot 90+ degree summer day. You've just finished cutting the grass and are sitting down on the back porch with a beer to cool down. Do you really want to sip on a tepid Guiness or would you rather suck down an ice cold American lager?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Dan, Whenever I go over to see my customer in McLeansville I always make it a point to get some Red Oak. Too bad you can't buy it in six packs (at least I've never seen it for sale in a store) Rick's point about light beer is well taken.......the lightest beer I ever drink is Sam Adams Light
    MKIII
    300 RWHP and Torque

Post Thanks / Like
    They sell red oak at the local grocery stores.

You coming to the Charlotte auto fair? I'll bring you some if you pm me

Post Thanks / Like
    We looked at a couple stores and couldn't find it. I would love to try and make it to Charlotte but doubt I will. But thanks anyway.
    MKIII
    300 RWHP and Torque

Post Thanks / Like
    New Castle is my favorite too.

stack
    FFR MKI Roadster FFR2202K Built in 2000 sold
    FFR Hot Rod #39 under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Fat Tire is pretty good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VeniceCobra View Post
    Oh yeah
    I tried Leffe tonight. It was good. Nice flavor. I would get it again for sure. I still prefer Newcastle Brown Ale over Leffe though.
    Carl

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Never a truer word said. If you look at all the advertisements for Guiness, the head of the beer is white. If you buy a Guiness, the head is an off white/brown colour.

Except if you drink it in Ireland at the guiness factory where it tastes truly divine, the head is white, the beer is smooth as silk. They say it is to do with the water that they use in Dublin and that Guiness doesn't travel well - all I know is, it tastes good in most places, but tastes fantastic in Dublin.

Post Thanks / Like
    its good beer, but any beer can be good.
    i am torned between all beers being German/Irish it can roll around in the back of my truck for weeks and i will still drink it.
    i like Smithwicks, Negra Medelo, Weinstein, Bass Ale, i used to drink Guiness but my old beer buddy moved that what he had in the fridge all the time, and my regular drinking beer being from St. Louis: Busch beer and yes you can see thru it, i will just call it my old hippy beer.
    the other small brewhaus we have here is Shafly's brewry, i stop and pick up a Growler everyonce in awhile.
    always wanted to go to Ireland and Germany just to drink some good brew.
    look up Germany and it is unbelievable how many brew-houses there are, like my old neighborhood and the corner tavern.
    Mk 3.1 #6945

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I like new castle as my main beer in the fridge but if I feel like treating myself I have a Moose Drool from Big Sky Brewing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezzek View Post
    Never a truer word said. If you look at all the advertisements for Guiness, the head of the beer is white. If you buy a Guiness, the head is an off white/brown colour.

Except if you drink it in Ireland at the guiness factory where it tastes truly divine, the head is white, the beer is smooth as silk. They say it is to do with the water that they use in Dublin and that Guiness doesn't travel well - all I know is, it tastes good in most places, but tastes fantastic in Dublin.
    I also love Guiness, and have noticed that it tastes pretty bad at my local Taco Mac. I just don't think many are buying it. I got in there and 90% of the folks are drinking some sort of watered down stuff. I think it gets stale. Now if I go to a great Irish pub such as Fido's (sp) I get the best glass of Guiness ever....difference is people come to Fido's to drink the Guiness. Have you tried Boddingtons? I'll bet you would like it.
    Last edited by Scalded-Dog; 02-24-2011 at 11:10 AM.
    MKIII
    300 RWHP and Torque

Post Thanks / Like
    Free or free lite
    Denny
    Mk IV #7365 Ordered 9/27/10, Pick-up 10/30/10, Go Cart 7/30/11 302 cid 030, Carburetor, T-5, 4 Link, Completed 5/27/12, Grabber Blue / Kona Blue
    "One day your car will be working and you'll see a reflection of yourself in a shop window, and trust me on this, that will be good" J.C.
    http://s841.photobucket.com/user/BLTFRDTUF/library/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJones View Post
    If you like Newcastle, try Double Diamond.

I always know if a business lunch is going to be a good deal, if it's a three Guiness lunch.

Mike
    I looked for Double Diamond today but couldn't find it. I'll have to try another place.
    Carl

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scalded-Dog View Post
    We looked at a couple stores and couldn't find it. I would love to try and make it to Charlotte but doubt I will. But thanks anyway.
    Try looking at a Harris Teeter...they usually carry it in 6pack

Post Thanks / Like
    mike where can I find Double Diamond I have been looking and the only way I can find it is by the keg do you know where I can find bottles

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolCarl View Post
    I tried Leffe tonight. It was good. Nice flavor. I would get it again for sure. I still prefer Newcastle Brown Ale over Leffe though.
    Alright I give a try to Newcastle Brown Ale, I let you know