Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Explorer engine questions

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Explorer engine questions

Hey so I've heard that one can use a ford explorer V8 engine from 99 or 00. If so what sort of modifications would have to be made?

Post Thanks / Like
    You can use the exporer 5.0 in one of our kits. It has alot of nice upgrades over the stock mustang 5.0. Including GT40-P heads and a better intake. To use it in one of our cars you will need to use the mustang motor mounts, headers and transmission.

Best regards,
    Brian Zakrzewski
    FFR Tech & Sales

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Smyrnabs,
    There is an issue with the spark plug orientation on the GT40p heads. I found some shorty headers from Summit that worked but I later went with the BBK 4 tube headers. I can't remember now if they are specifically designed for the GT40ps but I still had to fab a tool to remove plugs 3 and 4. It's not a big deal but you should be aware of it. If you look at the heads compared to stock ones, you can see how the spark plug was moved to aim toward the center of the chamber so it would create a better "burn". But on the outside you have to be careful to make sure the spark plug wires are clear of headers a little more than with other head designs. Some have avoided using them because of the problem. There are still a lot of people using them and the discussion goes on and on about whether it is worth the hassle. WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    The Factory Five Racing 302 headers will work fine with the GT40-P spark plugs. They also make after market shorty headers for the P heads so it should not be an issue.

Best regards,
    Brian Zakrzewski
    FFR Tech & Sales

Post Thanks / Like
    what year explorer engine can be used?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tcsracing1 View Post
    what year explorer engine can be used?
    Mid '97 to 01 Explorer or Mountaineer. They changed in early '97 so you can look for for 4 lines cast into the head, front or back.

That is a GT-40p head which is the best flowing Ford stock head.

These engines also have a better intake system than the earlier Mustang engines.

I would consider changing out the cam and valve springs. Trick Flow makes a mild cam with valve springs that do not require any head modifications.

I do happen to have some engine parts for sale:

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Parts-for-Sale

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ntake-Manifold

George
    Last edited by GWL; 12-22-2016 at 09:12 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GWL View Post
    Mid '97 to 01 Explorer or Mountaineer. They changed in early '97 so you can look for for 4 lines cast into the head, front or back.

That is a GT-40p head which is the best flowing Ford stock head.

These engines also have a better intake system than the earlier Mustang engines.

I would consider changing out the cam and valve springs. Trick Flow makes a mild cam with valve springs that do not require any head modifications.

I do happen to have some engine parts for sale:

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Parts-for-Sale

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ntake-Manifold

George
    so early 97 and under explorer is not recommended?

Post Thanks / Like
    Interested to know about this as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    Interested to know about this as well
    the early 5.0L Explorer has the GT40 heads.
    In mid 1997, they switched to the GT40P heads which angle the plugs in such that they might be harder to clear around certain makes of headers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tcsracing1 View Post
    so early 97 and under explorer is not recommended?
    I wouldn't say they are not recommended. Besides changing the plug angle, the combustion chamber is a little different which will also increase the compression ratio. I don't know what the HP/Torque ratings would be for each engine. There has got to be some comparisons out there somewhere. Remember too that the Explorer and Mountaineer have cams that are better suited for a truck engine so stock engine ratings would not be a fair comparison either.

GT-40p Head

George

Post Thanks / Like
    my wire harness is for a mustang 5.0L with a distributer.
    My 1997 explorer engine has coil packs.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like
    I should be known that EXPLORER 5.0L has coil packs..... Something that would need to be changed if going with 89-93 mustang wire harness.

There is also the issue with intake manifolds on the explorer when using 89-93 wire harness. EGR and ACT.

Post Thanks / Like
    If anyone is interested, I have a 99 explorer engine I would let go for 175.00

Post Thanks / Like
    tcsracing1,
    Take a look at some of the Foxbody mustang forums. My understanding is the Explorer engines can still run with a distributer. It drops in where the coil packs are and the intake can be drilled and tapped for an ACT sensor. I have a 96 Explorer engine that I plan to use. I am swapping the cam for a mustang cam and some other changes to make it similar to the foxbody engine with the benefits of the Explorer intake and heads. (GT-40 heads on mine) There are also some modifications that can be done to the throttle body to swap the EGR sensor to a mustang EGR sensor, so the mustang wiring harness will be compatible. I plan to make these few changes and use a Ron Francis wiring harness. There are several forums and web sites that cover a "foxbody 5.0" swap. (Swaps into Broncos, early mustangs, BMWs, Rangers). There is also a lot of info about swapping the Explorer intake and heads onto a mustang. I found them to be helpful in what I will need to run my Explorer in a FFR Roadster. Hope some of this will help you.
    Last edited by blitzkreig baja; 05-30-2017 at 11:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blitzkreig baja View Post
    tcsracing1,
    Take a look at some of the Foxbody mustang forums. My understanding is the Explorer engines can still run with a distributer. It drops in where the coil packs are and the intake can be drilled and tapped for an ACT sensor. I have a 96 Explorer engine that I plan to use. I am swapping the cam for a mustang cam and some other changes to make it similar to the foxbody engine with the benefits of the Explorer intake and heads. (GT-40 heads on mine) There are also some modifications that can be done to the throttle body to swap the EGR sensor to a mustang EGR sensor, so the mustang wiring harness will be compatible. I plan to make these few changes and use a Ron Francis wiring harness. There are several forums and web sites that cover a "foxbody 5.0" swap. (Swaps into Broncos, early mustangs, BMWs, Rangers). There is also a lot of info about swapping the Explorer intake and heads onto a mustang. I found them to be helpful in what I will need to run my Explorer in a FFR Roadster. Hope some of this will help you.
    I am also using the ron francis harness.

The explorer ECU and pulley system had to be swapped out.
    I am finding that the explorer dosnt really have much of anything i can use for my build other then the block and intake.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can speak from first hand experience.. the 99 explorer motor can be made to work quite easily.

The primary things I changes were: (obviously not everything listed is required)
    • Custom Power Steering Reservoir, stock one is way to tall. This is the hardest thing to resolve due to the height of the PS pump. I Used a 1998 Dodge Stratus reservoir. Mounted on the F-Panel . The photo is incorrect, It cleared my hood but only by 1/2" . So I'm moving it to the F-Panel.
    • Custom Power Steering Lines. Simple with correct Metric->AN adapters. Fragola M16-1.5 with oRing at the pump outlet. Heidts PS-030 & PS-050 Steering Rack Adapters.
    • Swapped in a 1995 Mustang Distributor. Has to be a '95 for the Vacuum Advance.
    • Used a Chevy HEI module behind dash, wired to distributor. Pick what ever ignition module you prefer.
    • 82" 6-rib serpentine belt with "alternate" routing.
    • Removal of AC compressor and part of it's mounting bracket.
    • Weiand Stealth Intake Manifold and 600cfm carb
    • 45deg spark plug wires, but I think 90deg would have worked fine with the F5 4-into-1 headers.
    • Sold Lowering Motor Mounts. Selected to drop the height 3/4". Though, I added some spacers to raise it back up just a bit for oil-pan clearance.
    • e303 camshaft and better valve springs. Installed a new timing chain while I was in there.
    • FoxBody oil pan and oil pickup. the explorer dipstick works perfectly with the fox pan.

Post Thanks / Like
    How much trouble would I have to mount a 5.8 351 out of a 69 Ford truck into a 33 Hotrod. I want to change and run a carb and get rid of the fuel injection. Also want air and power steering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Great Info Skid!
    I will also add that to use the explorer front dress with a carburetor you will need to have an electric fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator.
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    i am keeping my explorer motor fuel injected.
    So i need alot of stiff off the mustang motor. Ecu. MAF. Distributer. Pulleys.

Post Thanks / Like
    which oil filter are you guys using for the explorer 5.0L?

Post Thanks / Like
    Standard Ford part has been found to be the best. There are different parts available that can relocate the filter. One made by Ford Racing and another that comes with the complete kit.

George

Post Thanks / Like
    i have the relocation fliter with the kit.
    trouble finding a filter for it.

any suggestions or part numbers?

Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like there are different filters for the Explorer. I know that Ford had a cooling hook up for the oil in 1997 and possibly in other years also. It was located at the oil filter location, which then possibly called for a different filter but the standard Mustang 302 filter can be used in your case.

Motorcraft FL-1-A Oil Filter

George