Post Thanks / Like
    The Mendeola works great. See here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCrbHt7Ln-Y
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RossLH View Post
    The amount of force either of the shafts would have to apply to the case in order to make it flex is immense. If the case does indeed flex, I can promise you that your transmission was doomed far in advance. We're talking levels of stress only achievable by 600+hp. So yes, the case can flex, but with the power the general population here is planning on making, not a single one of us will ever have to worry about it. It simply wont happen at these power levels.
    Then explain why even with PPGs input shaft/gears in a 5mt you get breaks?

Quote Originally Posted by Evan78 View Post
    It seems like you could measure it relatively easily with a little data acquisition equipment. Couldn't you use a linear sensor like they use on suspension to measure case flex, or lack thereof? If something is worth bracing, you should be able to measure some movement between the points you're reinforcing.
    I agree 110%.

Uncivil Engineer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Etos View Post
    Then explain why even with PPGs input shaft/gears in a 5mt you get breaks?
    Who uses PPG gears? Generally speaking, people who own cars that make very significant amounts of power. PPG makes some amazing gear sets, but they still have to work with the design of the 5-speed case. They've beefed up that unsupported section, but when you increase the power proportional to the increased capability of the gear sets, you're effectively right back where you started, and in some cases (i.e. retaining the stock 5th gear), you're worse off.

Think of it this way: if at low power levels (300whp or less), the transmission case flexes enough to inflict damage upon the gears, what do you think it would do if you doubled the amount of power going through it? People using PPG gear sets and making over 500whp would be leaving massive chunks of transmission case on the track. Case flex is not unaffected by power output, yet those people making 600+whp with built 5-speeds have zero issues with case breakage.

The input shaft, by design, is the weak link. It will flex first, and when it does, there's nowhere near enough force left over to affect the case.
    '03 WRX, soon to be broken I'm sure

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RossLH View Post
    Who uses PPG gears? Generally speaking, people who own cars that make very significant amounts of power. PPG makes some amazing gear sets, but they still have to work with the design of the 5-speed case. They've beefed up that unsupported section, but when you increase the power proportional to the increased capability of the gear sets, you're effectively right back where you started, and in some cases (i.e. retaining the stock 5th gear), you're worse off.

Think of it this way: if at low power levels (300whp or less), the transmission case flexes enough to inflict damage upon the gears, what do you think it would do if you doubled the amount of power going through it? People using PPG gear sets and making over 500whp would be leaving massive chunks of transmission case on the track. Case flex is not unaffected by power output, yet those people making 600+whp with built 5-speeds have zero issues with case breakage.

The input shaft, by design, is the weak link. It will flex first, and when it does, there's nowhere near enough force left over to affect the case.
    Well it's a very compelling point. I still would like to see someone do some tests to see how much(or little) the case flexes with some power put through it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12