Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 2nd Gen Coupe

Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Rusty, the glass doesn't use a frame. I has holes for the hinges, struts and the latch handle.

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am pretty sure the shipment of glass is due this week if it hasn't already arrived. The best thing for me to do is to make a quick you-tube video showing the specific fitment of the new glass on the old coupe (it is on my Coupe right now in the showroom), and Russ is right, its tight at the top where it bends in.

We havent put together a retro-fit package yet, but that was always in the works. We are only making Gen 2 Coupes right now in production. I would love to do a special run of 15 yr anniv cars but am focusing on making sure the launch of the gen 2 Coupe goes well first here.

Dave Smith
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Russ, that doesnt sound too safe. If the glass hatch doesnt have a frame what is to keep it from cracking or shattering?

Just the thought of holes in the glass for hinges, struts and the latch handle and the glass otherwise unsupported just sounds like there will be a big risk of the glass cracking in normal everyday useage, especially on rough roads.
    -Owned
    '56 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan, '63 Chevrolet Belair, '78 Mercury Cougar XR-7, '82 F150 Flareside

-Wish List
    FFR Type 65 Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    There have been quite a few factory cars that do this. Also, about 1/2 of the rash of SUVs over the last 10 years have this also. As long as the glass is up to OEM/DOT specs, I cannot forsee a problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    I am pretty sure the shipment of glass is due this week if it hasn't already arrived. The best thing for me to do is to make a quick you-tube video showing the specific fitment of the new glass on the old coupe (it is on my Coupe right now in the showroom), and Russ is right, its tight at the top where it bends in.

We havent put together a retro-fit package yet, but that was always in the works. We are only making Gen 2 Coupes right now in production. I would love to do a special run of 15 yr anniv cars but am focusing on making sure the launch of the gen 2 Coupe goes well first here.

Dave Smith
    Dave,

Is there anyway for use coupe guys who have the skills get the hatch and the parts on the Gen2 required for attachment? Myself, I don't want to wait for a retro-fit package. I would like to purchase one as soon as they arrive.
    Type 65 Coupe Builder / Coupe Parts Vendor

Websites:
    myCoupe Build
    F5Registry

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I met with Jesper in Engineering and we reviewed final prices and configuration. Most of the fasteners and parts are in staock and we are only waiting on the glass. Here is what Im going to do. Since retro-fitting the glass hatch will involve a different fit than the new Gen 2 body, I am going to do a short you-tube video with close-ups of the glass hatch INSTALLED on my older Gen 1 Type 65 Coupe an alos mounted on the new Gen 2 red body cars. I should have the prices, video, full details and everything in a short week or two... just waiting on the glass shipment (100 units ordered and due shortly). At the same time the parts catalog, order forms and BOM's will be ready.

As far as the frame is concerned, there is none. The hatch is hinged and latches at the bottom center. There is a perimeter black paint on the glass to cover the body interface, but it is safe and strong and engineered well.

Dave Smith
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Thanks Dave!

Just want to thank you for providing us coupe builders with an awesome upgrade available for a so-called Gen 1 coupe. Thanks also for what I'm hearing to be a nice retrofit package. I hope to order the glass very soon.

BTW, just curious but it seems that the gray body coupes are more representative of a Gen 1 and the black bodies Gen 2 making the red body a Gen 3. What's the reason you didn't distinguish them that way. And also, what are all the specific differences between gray and black models? This seems to be the cause of some confusion particularly with bodywork (i.e., doors and hood) on the other forum.
    steve
    The Coupe Du Jour #443
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/38188992@N04/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12