Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How will the 818 compare

Post Thanks / Like

How will the 818 compare

I stumbled across these guys, who resell MEV kits from Europe:

http://exomotive.com/sonic-7/

Seems like they are very similar in concept with what they are doing as compared to where the 818 will wind up. These are exoskeleton cars whereas the 818 will have a full body from the looks of it. And, the big kicker for me is that the 818 will have a true windshield - none of these MEV kits have anything more than a plastic screen, so you would have to wear googles or a helmet to prevent a bug in the face...

Aside from that, the Subaru based kit probably has more HP, and I'm hoping it's more 'complete', with a more well thought out construction manual - I think these MEV kits have a pretty weak manual, if they come with anything. Not fair to speak for MEV without knowing, but I'm assuming Factory Five will have a lot more design time into the car as well - it should be safer and better handling...

Any other thoughts? I'm just trying to envision how the 818 will match up to some of the competition that is out there...

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a car I'd feel comfortable driving in traffic to get to work, but it does look fun.
    George; Architect, Artist and Designer of Objects

1977 Porsche 911 Targa, 2.7L CIS Silver/Black, owned since 2003
    1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up Truck 4x4 4.3L V6 Black with front and rear spoilers
    1989 Scat II HP hovercraft with Cuyuna two stroke ULII-02, 35 hp with experimental skirt and sound control

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never was a big fan of the exoskeleton , really sort of fugly to me.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    ditto fugly, at least a seven type clone is classic

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jontallon;59813]... with a more well thought out construction manual... [QUOTE]

Obviously you are not real familiar with FFR. Luckily this forum and all the great people here can handle just about any question.
    I can do anything with enough time and money.

Post Thanks / Like
    While those are open wheel cars, I don't see any exo-skeleton.

Add a full windscreen and there will not be much functional difference between that and the 818 roadster version. The occupants have full protection (windscreen excluded), a proper dash w/gauges, roll bar, etc.

Completely different styles, but listening to what many 818 forum members (who want the roadster and are not waiting for a different 818 version) the design goals seem about the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=D2W;59882][QUOTE=jontallon;59813]... with a more well thought out construction manual...

Obviously you are not real familiar with FFR. Luckily this forum and all the great people here can handle just about any question.
    I AM - I built a roadster about 5 years ago. I'm just hoping they got better. And from what I have seen of the MEV cars, the manual is next to nothing...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    While those are open wheel cars, I don't see any exo-skeleton.

Add a full windscreen and there will not be much functional difference between that and the 818 roadster version. The occupants have full protection (windscreen excluded), a proper dash w/gauges, roll bar, etc.

Completely different styles, but listening to what many 818 forum members (who want the roadster and are not waiting for a different 818 version) the design goals seem about the same.
    Some of the other cars on their website are more exoskeleton style. Thanks for the comments - you seem to have gotten what I was trying to get at - that whether you like the styling or not, these cars seem to play in the same market - using 5 to 10 year old donors, kit prices in the $10k range, etc. I still prefer the 818 from what I have seen, but it's an interesting market...

Post Thanks / Like
    idk about the sonic 7, but i do think there are a couple of MEV cars that check the right boxes for me. the yet to be released busa powered one has me interested...
    Last edited by StatGSR; 05-15-2012 at 04:00 PM.
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car