Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
John, how are things going?
Hey man.

Sadly not a lot to report on the GTM front. My racing plans have been derailed for every event for one reason or another.

Work, family and the backlog of projects that have built up over the GTM build have kept me super busy.

On the positive side one of my side projects was to build an aluminum railing for my dad that will stand up to salt water. Annodizing is the only way to coat the aluminum so it will last. Commercial anodizers were both expensive and inflexible. It's not worth my time to do all of the CAD work to provide them with drawings and spec sheets.

FINE! I need to learn how to anodize.

Immediately I run into an issue. Try to find a tank that is 5 feet long, and will stand up to both strong acid and 220 degrees. Oh and each gallon of chemical costs you money so a giant vat is not going to work either.

Ok I know how to make tanks from the GTM project.

I made 4 tanks from 316 stainless steel.

Ok now I need to circulate the acid and cool it as I run high amperage current through it.

No problem. I found a pump that can circulate acid without self destructing and built a cooling loop out of PVC and old garden hose.

Then I tested the system and made it leak proof with water.

Works great.

After I anodize 45 posts every aluminum part on the GTM can get a custom annodized finish!