Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: GTM roll cage modifications and race car build log

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

GTM roll cage modifications and race car build log

In an attempt prepare the GTM for top speed runs, track duty, and hopefully even SCCA and NASA approval for racing I have made a few modifications to the GTM frame.

The job started with bending and welding in roof bars that cross over the passenger compartment and follow the curve of the fiberglass.

I

these bars allow for the duct that channels air into the engine compartment but maintain the maximum head room possible under the stock bodywork.

Next step was to cut out the 1 inch square tubing that supports the rear hoop and beef it up with 1.5 .095 wall DOM tubing.

After a few versions I was able to get the tubes to just kiss in the center but still place the down tubes very near the stock 1 inch square tubing location. In order to keep them perfectly vertical and aligned, I under bent them by a few degrees and then pulled them into place with ratchet straps.

Next I welded everything in. Boy it would be nice to have a rotisserie for this job. I was laying on my back feeding rod working the foot pedal and straining to see what I was doing on a few of the welds, but it all worked out.

This is what I have so far.

With the help of JCHracer we might soon have a plan that folks can follow in order to modify the GTM for NASA and SCCA racing, or just to beef up the frame for full on track duty.

Still lots of structure to add, but its a start.

John
    Last edited by kabacj; 04-28-2023 at 03:54 PM.
    XTF #2
    build start date June 19 2023

GTM # 344
    Build Start December 2010
    First track day April 2013