Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  10

Thread: Catch can for SBF?

Post Thanks / Like

Catch can for SBF?

Question to the Hive Mind. I have seen a few videos on catch cans for separating the moisture from the oil that occurs. I am running a SBF ( 347 stroker ). Would this benefit the engine regarding wear and tear or is this overkill on a vehicle that does not get a lot of miles? My rig is 90% street and 10%track/autox. Thank you in advance.
    FFR MK4 Roadster (9945) complete kit, delivered 12/4/2020, First start and go kart 5/7/2021. Legal 8/14/2021, Paint finished 7/18/2022 (Viking Blue). 347BPE CI, TKO600, Moser 8.8 3link 3.55, Halibrand 17x9 17x10.5, power steering. Carbon Fiber Dash. Carbon Fiber trans tunnel, adjustable Kirkey Lowback Vintage seats, Vintage gauges, RT drop trunk mod, FFmetal drop battery mod and trans tunnel, Forte front sway bar. Forte mechanical throttle linkage, RT gas pedal. www.covespringsfarm.com

2. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've always vented at the valve covers. Effective but a bit messy as some oil does drain from the catch filters. A separate catch should work just as well and if plumbed well will be a lot cleaner. Engines need some form of venting; many assign this task to the PCV valve which works but has its own issues.
    Jim
    2016 Mk4 Challenge Car, IRS, 3.31 Torsen, RDI Aluminum 427w, AFR 225s, Vic Jr. ProSystems 780 HP, TKO-600 w/Liberty mods. Forward cage. Levy 6/4 piston Wilwoods. Not completed yet, will be a streetable track car.
    2004 Superformance MkIII #1855, 2007 Superformance MkIII #2584 purchased in 2012 both sold.

4. Thanks nucjd19 thanked for this post
    "The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    A good oil separator/catch can will reduce carbon buildup on the intake tract and back side of the intake valves. That nasty stuff in blow-by gasses that gets sucked into the intake is not good for your engine. Where legal, I route these gasses overboard like the olden days. But on emission controlled vehicles the legal option is typically an oil separator with an integral catch can. The muck that gets caught in the catch can is usually drained and properly disposed of at each oil change. It takes more than just a catch can -- the separation of gasses and vapor/liquids is the key to keeping this corrosive waste products out of the intake. I use a mishimoto system on my twin turbo Raptor that is well designed. Here's another product and there are many others: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sda-555-3716
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

6. Thanks nucjd19 thanked for this post
    Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a small one on my firewall between my PCV and manifold vacuum source. Seems to remove some blow by vapor that you don’t want gumming up your valves.

8. Thanks nucjd19 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I added this Moroso oil catch can to my PCV system when I installed my freshly rebuilt 347.
    Thoughts on this one? While using break-in oil during the first 500 miles it’s separated some thing just under a 1/4 quart of oil.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mor-85474
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

10. Thanks nucjd19 thanked for this post
    Likes GoDadGo, Railroad liked this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mburger View Post
    I added this Moroso oil catch can to my PCV system when I installed my freshly rebuilt 347.
    Thoughts on this one? While using break-in oil during the first 500 miles it’s separated some thing just under a 1/4 quart of oil.
    Hey Mark,

Are you happy with the Moroso separator?
    Also, glad we got to do dinner last week with you guys.

Steve
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 04-06-2022 at 09:14 PM.

12. Thanks nucjd19 thanked for this post
    Likes nucjd19 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Steve,
    So far, at least for its first 500 miles it’s doing what it should be doing. I was a little surprised at how much oil was in the can. I would much rather have it in the can to be drained then have all that oil dumped into the intake. I likely am sucking way too much oil through the PCV then I should be. I’ll need to check the baffles as well as distance between the valve and baffles.
    Also, off-topic but I have the Porsche information I couldn’t remember at dinner for your friend Mark. I’ll message it to you to pass on if you don’t mind?
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

14. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Appreciate the info. I might head on over to summit and grab one.
    FFR MK4 Roadster (9945) complete kit, delivered 12/4/2020, First start and go kart 5/7/2021. Legal 8/14/2021, Paint finished 7/18/2022 (Viking Blue). 347BPE CI, TKO600, Moser 8.8 3link 3.55, Halibrand 17x9 17x10.5, power steering. Carbon Fiber Dash. Carbon Fiber trans tunnel, adjustable Kirkey Lowback Vintage seats, Vintage gauges, RT drop trunk mod, FFmetal drop battery mod and trans tunnel, Forte front sway bar. Forte mechanical throttle linkage, RT gas pedal. www.covespringsfarm.com

16. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    A good oil separator/catch can will reduce carbon buildup on the intake tract and back side of the intake valves. That nasty stuff in blow-by gasses that gets sucked into the intake is not good for your engine. Where legal, I route these gasses overboard like the olden days. But on emission controlled vehicles the legal option is typically an oil separator with an integral catch can. The muck that gets caught in the catch can is usually drained and properly disposed of at each oil change. It takes more than just a catch can -- the separation of gasses and vapor/liquids is the key to keeping this corrosive waste products out of the intake. I use a mishimoto system on my twin turbo Raptor that is well designed. Here's another product and there are many others: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sda-555-3716
    Once again thanks for the excellent info and link. I appreciate it!

18. Likes GoDadGo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've used JLT Performance oil separators on my Coyote builds and have been very happy with them. They make all different varieties including for SBF. Now J&L but the same products. https://www.jlosc.com/j-l-oil-separa...stang-5-0-302/.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

20. Thanks nucjd19 thanked for this post
    Likes nucjd19, Jrmotorsports55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are two styles, open and closed.

I am running an open one, like this:
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...IaAiJqEALw_wcB

Basically an open system is better for your engine / worse for the environment. And always a little residue under the hood.
    Closed system is worse for your engine / better for the trees.

I went with open as I had enough crankcase pressure to push my dipstick out at high RPMs. Terrifying when it looked like the engine blew. I also have a locking dipstick now. My 347 is a little on the radical end of the spectrum.

22. Thanks nucjd19 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Truly, thank you fellas for your awesome responses. Looks like I am going to add this to the engine bay to improve engine life.

24. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nucjd19 View Post
    Truly, thank you fellas for your awesome responses. Looks like I am going to add this to the engine bay to improve engine life.
    Me too!

26. Thanks nucjd19 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

28. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mark, do you happen to have any pics of where you mounted it? I think I am going to also order one up, seems like it can only help.

Thanks
    Build #9818 completed 04/2021 - Dart SBF 427, PF4 EFI, TKO600 Build thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...utton-head-mod
    Build review video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6IAbo2sFt4&t=1111s My finished car: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/atta...7&d=1638415131

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's my Moroso mounting. I made a bracket to mount on the X frame member. I tried to keep it lower than the valve cover and intake to help the residue oil in the hoses, drain in to the can, and not back into the intake or head. This was all done on a completed car.

I've only done one oil change since adding the unit, (and I think it was on for only a few hundred miles), but there was no oil in the can, or at least not enough to drain down the drain tube. So either my engine has little blow-by, I didn't have enough miles on it to capture enough of the blow-by, or it's (hopefully not) not doing it's job.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by boat737; 04-08-2022 at 09:36 PM.
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

31. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have 3 vehicles with catch cans on them. One would fill the can, more than a few times between oil changes. The o=ring seal on the catch can forms a good seal. Even with lube on the o-ring, it takes a strap wrench to remove. I drilled, tapped and installed a quarter turn, ball valve in the bottom. It has a clear hose and feeds a water bottle hidden near the radiator.

My reason for posting this info, consider the kit with drain. Of course there is the option I used.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

33. Thanks GoDadGo thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fman View Post
    Mark, do you happen to have any pics of where you mounted it? I think I am going to also order one up, seems like it can only help.

Thanks
    Travis, sorry these pictures are so huge and turned but I’m on my iPhone and just took the photos now.
    Sorry it took so long to post these. The catch can is mounted directly to the passenger foot box at the top.

Mark