Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Center console work

Post Thanks / Like

Center console work

If you saw my car at Moochfest, you saw my interior was a little torn up. I've never been really satisfied with the flat aluminum panel used to cover the trans tunnel. Last year I decided to build my own console, something to make the car look more "finished." I started last year but wasn't happy with how it was looking, so tonight I decided to give it another hack. Here's where I'm at:

I think I'm going to wrap it with fiberglass and I have plans to mold a dock into the center for whatever new phone I'm going to get this summer, after I get back from my next deployment (for GPS and audio).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dave,

Looks good. I am doing a custom control also for my coupe. Looking forward to seeing your finished product. I used foam board and Bondo to shape mine. I plan to make a mold for the final fiberglass piece.

The plug uses pieces cut out of a Ford Focus console so it can accept the boots.

Type 65 Coupe Builder / Coupe Parts Vendor

Websites:
    myCoupe Build
    F5Registry

Post Thanks / Like
    Glued (well, 80% at least). Tomorrow I'd like to staple the fleece on after I finalize the glue how I want it... it'd be awesome to put the first coat of resin on the fleece too but I think the temperature will be too cold and any kind of fumes make my pregnant wife throw up.

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks fantastic, great work. .... Steven
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cheap View Post
    Glued (well, 80% at least). Tomorrow I'd like to staple the fleece on after I finalize the glue how I want it... it'd be awesome to put the first coat of resin on the fleece too but I think the temperature will be too cold and any kind of fumes make my pregnant wife throw up.
    Make sure you use the correct mask when working with resin.

Websites:
    myCoupe Build
    F5Registry

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks guys, and here it is wrapped and ready for resin.

Ron, what do you mean use the correct mask? Are you talkin about respirators?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    thanks guys, and here it is wrapped and ready for resin.

Ron, what do you mean use the correct mask? Are you talkin about respirators?
    Yes. One that deals with vapor.

The console looks great.

Websites:
    myCoupe Build
    F5Registry

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats looking good, I was thinking some type of rails like you have with perhaps some wood vaneer to give some pazzaz.

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dave,

Great work, a little down time?........

Hank
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcwho View Post
    Thats looking good, I was thinking some type of rails like you have with perhaps some wood vaneer to give some pazzaz.
    Thanks guys! I'm glad it turned out better the second time. I still have to fiberglass the whole thing, and I've never fiberglassed before but as long as the cold winter weather didn't ruin the resin I bought last year I look forward to doing that as soon as I get back from my next deployment.

mcwho, I saw on here a really nice roadster dash/console that had a good looking wood trim, but if I were to use trim I'd have to go with brushed aluminum. I'm not personally a big fan of wood in cars and had to work hard to convince myself to use wood as the form for the console as it is. Also, with my design theory I find simplicity is the best - other than the aforementioned dock I only plan on putting an engine start button in the display area, cutting holes for the shifter and ebrake, and maybe working a cup holder or two into the design (we'll see what I have to work with after I convert to midshift). I was toying with the idea of converting my armrest area into a armrest/storage console but I don't think I could pull off a clean enough conversion to be happy with the end product, and I really don't want to ruin what I've built so far.

I do hope to figure out how to do really nice leather stitching for when I wrap the finished fiberglass so I can have some nice seams running down the sides.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, I've been slacking on my updates. Here's the short version:

The first attempt with long-strand fiberglass mat was a disaster - the mat was very messy and didn't lay like I wanted it to. I tore it all off but the fleece had bonded to the plywood in some places so I ended up having to cut one new piece but I was able to salvage the rest. I rewrapped it with fleece, applied some fresh resin, bondo'd it up and finally today got it in the car to see how it looks. I'm pretty happy with how it's progressed. I still have a few low spots to fill (out of bondo again) but it's going to be wrapped so it doesn't have to look perfect. Oh, I also installed a new Pro 5.0 mid-shift kit just the other day that I'm very happy with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dave,

I have found that using fiberglass cloth or mat so much better than using long strand fiberglass. Since you lay it like cloth and can use a roller it is ends up with a better surface. Of course I am also making molds so cloth/mat is the way to go for me. Last week I finished the center console mold.

Yours looks good and I look forward to seeing the final product. It's nice making something custom like that.

Ron

Websites:
    myCoupe Build
    F5Registry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dave,

Hows the project going? Out passing gas lately?

Hank
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Been working on AC upgrade and moving in a week, so it's been busy around here. I've got the console in; need to fill some low spots with my last can of filler and then cover it all up. I found an old yoga mat around here that is very thin yet nice and squishy that I'm planning on using for padding once all the fiberglass work is complete, and one of the retired chief booms around here does interior work and has agreed to help me wrap it (and rewrap my dash). Busy busy!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's Aircraft Commander, not Air Conditioning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    That's Aircraft Commander, not Air Conditioning.
    Both are Cool! LOL

Hank

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Cheap. Any chance you could make me a copy of your dash? I recently bought a Spdyer kit, and the dash is missing.
    Thanks Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Hey Cheap. Any chance you could make me a copy of your dash? I recently bought a Spdyer kit, and the dash is missing.
    Thanks Mike
    Shoot, you shoulda caught me before I moved across the country last November; you coulda taken it and made a whole production run if you wanted. I'm not set up for mold making, but JayP is in MA and might be able to help you out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any contact info for him?
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by michael everson View Post
    Any contact info for him?
    Mike
    Send him a PM on the other forum. He's posted a lot there and is in the registry thread as well. BTW, do you know the frame number and FFR serial number of the one in your shop? Any details on this kit?
    Last edited by cheap; 05-25-2013 at 10:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its kit number 26 Will look for the frame number. Base kit with 3 link. That's about it for options.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I just purchased a Coupe kit, since it's the only one from FFR that can fit my running gear. The Spyder GT would have worked also, and always was my first choice, but couldn't find a virgin kit.

I'd like to put the Spyder's dashboard on the Coupe. Who is actually making/selling this dash, or has a mold for sale? Thanks.

Carlos

Post Thanks / Like
    Get a hold of Bill Hough in MA Sorry I don't have any contact info for him that I can find. He made a Spyder dash for me. FFR may have contact info for him. Also he makes GT40 bodies, so you might want to try the GT40 forums. He has a mold for the dash.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Mike. I'll try to locate him. Is he on this forum? Hope someone else is making them, in case I can't find him.

Carlos