Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MAF Problems

Post Thanks / Like

MAF Problems

I seem to be having a strange mass air meter problem. With the mass air meter plugged in, the car is angry and won't rev up. With it disconnected, it idles better and will rev up, at least when sitting still, better. I'm starting to think there is some issue with the adapter plug on the mass air meter to the stock harness, so here is my question. The mass air meter that we get clearly isn't intended for this car. If you take the adapter plug off, it has 6 prongs coming off the mass air meter, and the little adapter converts that down to 4 prongs. I don't think I have a great connection. What does this mass air meter actually fit, I'm going to get a harness off of that, and just make a manual crimp onto my wiring system, and do away with the adapter plug. Thoughts?

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    http://www.cnlperformance.com/MAF_info3.html

If you read the section click on bottom What is a MAF..... you will see your explanation - wiring connections A thru F. Mixing and matching the MAF with other EEC combos is not a good idea, sometimes it works and sometimes it won't. If I were you I would spring for a MAF calibrated to your setup including injector size. Good luck, WEK.

note: Change MAF before thinking of modifying your harness.
    Last edited by skullandbones; 06-06-2012 at 12:56 AM. Reason: add comment
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott,

Looks like it's for a '96-04: http://oldfuelinjection.com/?p=26. Is that what's supposed to come w/ the kit? What was the part number on the MAF? If you got a pig tail, looks easy enough to do. E and F the outermost pins aren't used.

Joe
    FFR Spec Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what you were to get http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-29051B-C/ I did not have any issues with this part.
    Last edited by FFRSpec72; 06-06-2012 at 09:46 AM.
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    @skullandbones - we have a spec MAF in this class, I cant change to another brand. I've swapped the MAF with a new spec legal one as well, same issue. Thanks for the C&L link, I will check that out.
    @avgjoe - I got the correct part with the kit, but the MAF has 6 plugs on it, and TrickFlow/Summit just puts on an adapter harness to get the MAF to work with the 87-95 cars. I do think you are right in that the MAF is for the 96-04 so I'm going to order that pigtail somewhere.
    @ffrspec72 - that is the part that I received, but look closely at the picture. The picture shows 4 actual prongs. Thats coming out of the adapter harness. The EABCDF prongs are actually all on the MAF if you pull the adapter off. I think there is a connection issue in that adapter.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will answer my own question. If you want to order the plug, call Ron Francis wiring and order the MAF extension cable for a 1996 Mustang GT. It fits the MAF that we have perfectly, then you can solder it into your wire harness. All of that said, I believe the MAF had an issue, in conjunction with the fuel injectors. We also swapped the entire engine harness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott,

Don't forget the memory function in the EEC. It gets erased after disconnecting the battery and takes a some run time at less than WOT to adjust/remember stuff. Keep us posted and don't forget the details.

Joe
    FFR Spec Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott McKay View Post
    I will answer my own question. If you want to order the plug, call Ron Francis wiring and order the MAF extension cable for a 1996 Mustang GT. It fits the MAF that we have perfectly, then you can solder it into your wire harness. All of that said, I believe the MAF had an issue, in conjunction with the fuel injectors. We also swapped the entire engine harness.
    Scott, so you did the following?

1) swaped out MAF for a new MAF (as one you got may have been faulty)
    2) took off the adapter (reduced from 6 prong to 4 prong and chnaged the shape) on the MAF
    3) ordered a 96 MAF plug from RF and fit that into your harness (so you eliminated the F and E wires)
    4) replace the EFI harness???
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress