Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: help!! how am i gonna polish all this aluminum?

Post Thanks / Like

help!! how am i gonna polish all this aluminum?

Would really appreciate some expertise in the easiest way to polish and protect all this aluminum? Wouldnt the firewall look great if it were all in machine turns? anybody got an easy way to do this? I hate dull aluminum.

Post Thanks / Like
    The firewall is pretty much the only aluminum you will see once the car is assembled. Assuming your are going to carpet the interior and trunk. One of my customers did the engine turn thing on his firewall. Looks good. He had a clear coat put on after.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want it engine turned, Eastwood sells a kit to do it. I used this on my gauge pod and switch panel. Very easy to do, just takes some time.

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-engine-tu...-diameter.html

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by missouri rodder View Post
    Would really appreciate some expertise in the easiest way to polish and protect all this aluminum? Wouldnt the firewall look great if it were all in machine turns? anybody got an easy way to do this? I hate dull aluminum.
    I'm planning on engine turning my firewall, I'll let you know how it goes in the next couple months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Engine turning the firewall is awesome. Terrible Terry did it and it looks great. Must make sure you have a large enough drill press as you'll be hitting the support post if you don't. Also be sure to use the fence effectively otherwise it will be all over the place. And, oh yeah, be sure to have LOTS of time on your hands.

Post Thanks / Like
    Powder coat everything and forget about it

chuck
    Chuck

Mk1, MK3, Hotrod, Gen 3 Daytona Coupe, RF GT40
    Hang Up and Drive

Post Thanks / Like
    What about sharkshyde, i found at Eastwood also? How about buffing to a shine, compound and buffer, orbital or buffing wheel, tried wet sandpaper method? does is need to be polished before engine turned?

Post Thanks / Like
    I polished the firewall in my roadster by wetsanding then using this amazing stuff: http://www.californiacustom.com/purp...al_polish.html

No polishing required before engine turning.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Think twice about polishing the firewall. It might look good for a little while but unless it was clearcoated with a quality process it will look very tarnished and dull before too long.

For an easy to clean, long lasting finish, either powder coat or paint. I painted mine. It is the same Brandywine Kandy as the fenders and suspension.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks everybody, I am going to polish and see how well i can keep it up. I bolted, not riveted the firewall on, so i guess on final body prep/paint i could change my mind. It's terrible when the part of the build that's the most stressful is appearance of the firewall. at least so far!