FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 818 Donor Kits to be available

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vman7 View Post
    Thanks cmcintyre for telling us about AJW Performance's new up and coming service at their new site www.818donors.com. Thanks AJW Performance for offering such a service.

I made sure I bookmarked it for future reference.

David
    No problem, we are really excited about this as well!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Oh cool a post. Would you guys ever offer just a straight donor for those of us that want to do all the parting out ourselves? I'm looking for the cheapest possible impreza/legacy since I will source the engine on my own...

also car to chime in on pricing for the packaged kits?
    Last edited by shinn497; 06-13-2012 at 07:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Andrew, sorry I didnt get a chance to say hello at the open house, but it sounds like you have a great plan in place. As you said, some guys tearing down the donor and final cost will be the most important thing, but I think you are right, there will be plenty of customers looking to start building their 818 and a donor package that is basically ready to start building with will be a huge step up in meeting their goals. I look forward to see how the packages come together!

-Scott

Quote Originally Posted by AJW Performance View Post
    Thanks for the post cmcintyre, it was nice meeting you at the event, we had a great time and FFR had a great showing, could not ask for better weather.
    I read over these posts and you all have some valid points and questions.
    We appreciate your patience while we build the 818 specific site, www.818donors.com. It will evolve tremendously with content as we all move forward. Let us know if you have any questions or concerns in regards to any content, or have any questions for us about what we will offer (send us an email so we do not go off topic on the original posters thread)
    Although I completely understand that price is a main concern for many of us, it is not our main objective to deliver "the cheapest" donor possible (the cheapest donor possible will always be a great find on a complete/ partial car that you source, dismantle and work on yourself and do all your own maintenance to get it to where it should be).
    We WILL in fact have donor kits available which fit into the FFR goal of a complete cost for around 15,000.00, but it is not our primary focus. One of our largest goals is to offer a donor kit which literally is ready to install, and ready to last. Just because you get a donor that YOU are ready to install on your 818 doesn't mean the donor itself is worthy and ready. We know the weak points and needed maintenance of these Subaru platforms as well as what "goes first", or is prone to being a potential issue. Our vision is to offer not only convenience, but peace of mind receiving a donor kit that is worth running, and will be reliable if you take care of it into the future. I can foresee it being very frustrating for some completing their 818 build and having (Subaru) running gear issues which limit the fun factor.
    Another goal which ties into these postings is the convenience "time is money" factor. Our target customer is an individual who does not have the space, time or willingness to completely dismantle a wrecked donor, take what is needed and discard or sell off the rest of it. Hence the "everything you need and nothing you don't" quote you see on the site.
    Will we have some donor kits for 5,000.00? The answer is yes there will be, but there will also be 15,000.00 packages and custom options which will lead to much more than that. It is all about meeting the customer’s needs and building the donor package or complete 818 vehicle to their vision/use, within their budget of course.
    All in all our business model will be worth it for some, others it will not. Hope this helped!
    Thanks,
    Andrew Wallace
    MKIII #3835 IRS, Anderson Performance 408 Levy T-5 Trans, Team III Wheels
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shinn497 View Post
    Oh cool a post. Would you guys ever offer just a straight donor for those of us that want to do all the parting out ourselves? I'm looking for the cheapest possible impreza/legacy since I will source the engine on my own...

also car to chime in on pricing for the packaged kits?
    Offering a straight donor will be a possibility, although we will not specialize in that since anyone can source a donor. Our goal is to take it further by providing our services which will focus on increasing reliability, performance and convenience for customers who are not interested in stripping down a full donor of their own, and "worrying" or spending the time and labor on what needs to be done to it to make it worthy of installing in their new 818 platform (timing belts, spark plugs, clutches, etc). It could also be someone who simply knows what power range they want their 818 to be in, but does not know what steps should be taken to get there safely, so that is where we come in and design a kit based on your needs.

below is a quote in regards to pricing (Pricing will be on the site in the next few months as we finalize our packages, but will always be reflected by what changes we make or the customer wants us to make to their all in one donor package. So as I see it right now, prices will vary on a unit to unit bases.

"Will we have some donor kits for 5,000.00? The answer is yes there will be, but there will also be 15,000.00 packages and custom options which will lead to much more than that. It is all about meeting the customer’s needs and building the donor package or complete 818 vehicle to their vision/use, within their budget of course."

Thanks,
    Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    AJW, can you commenton something that was mentioned in this thread, that another vendor offers a warranty that starts, not when you get the parts, but when you get your car running. Will you offer something similar?

It occurs to me this is another strong selling point to going with a donor crate. You are rolling the dice a bit on your donor if you source it yourself. A wrecked car was probably driven hard, and there could be issues with some of the components, that you won't know about until you take things apart. What looks like a good deal could easily not be. But a warranty from a vendor like yourselves takes that worry out of the picture. If a part is bad, you just send us another one.

I would think your target market would include guys without a lot of Subie experience, so this aspect of the crate service could be seen as cheap insurance. You know your donor cost going in,and you know those costs aren't going to go up if there is a problem. Plus you guys are Subie experts, so you can weed out most issues ahead of time before the parts are shipped to us.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would imagine it is very difficult to start a warranty based on when the customer says it started. How could the seller possibly know, for a fact, when that occurred? You would also have the issue of people just sitting on it and taking months to years to finish the project. You can't keep that warranty outstanding for that duration.

The only real way for the distributor to cover themselves is based on the last confirmed date of transaction which is delivery date.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by leetfade View Post
    I would imagine it is very difficult to start a warranty based on when the customer says it started.
    Yet that is what another similar vendor offers, as quoted in this thread (post #11).

I imagine this works only because the target market is FFR builders, not the larger public at large.
    Last edited by Oppenheimer; 06-13-2012 at 01:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's an interesting concept and definitely customer-centric, but it only takes one bad deal for the company for that to get revoked, unfortunately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oppenheimer View Post
    Yet that is what another similar vendor offers, as quoted in this thread (post #11).

I imagine this works only because the target market is FFR builders, not the larger public at large.
    The odometer reading would be used as a tool.
    All of our donors are going to have documented odometer readings for both our records and the customer.
    We do in fact have the same guarantee on our products/ kits, and of course the products we use have their own warranties as well more often than not for 1 year.

Post Thanks / Like
    What if I don't use the factory gauges in my build? Just throwing it out there.

The odometer reading would be used as a tool.
    All of our donors are going to have documented odometer readings for both our records and the customer.
    We do in fact have the same guarantee on our products/ kits, and of course the products we use have their own warranties as well more often than not for 1 year.
    Paint completed November 2010, passed NJ State Safety Inspection June 21st, Tagged and First Drive 7/1/2011

Post Thanks / Like
    Then wouldn't that odometer start at zero? The only I case I could see this being a problem is if the odometer used and comes from a different donor. But why would anyone choose to use the odometer from a different donor when they have a perfectly working one right in front of them?
    Last edited by Xusia; 06-13-2012 at 04:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If they liked the looks and sweep of the STI gauge cluster you might find people swapping out the clusters.

Post Thanks / Like
    But then a guy wanting to use a used odometer (from STi or whatever) that also was a guy that wanted to use crate service would probably just ask crate vendor to supply from multiple donors. Request a crate with WRX drivetrain, but STi gauges, etc (if that would even function).

Point being that ethier AJW would likely be supplying the odo otherwise the odo would be new. So the odo reading should work in most any realistic scenario.

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I read, I'm not sure if it's true or not. The odometer reading is also stored in the ecu, if the odo reading differs from what is on the ecu, it will be set to what is stored on the ECU. Again, not sure if that's true or not. Just something I read and found interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Believe it is only stored in the cluster. I've had my cluster in and out many times and wrote a rather extensive DIY on how to color mod the gauges without hot spotting or dark needles. Used to do it for others for a fee too.

No matter what cluster they send you, they'll have the serial number of the cluster on the scan tag on back and it's odo reading. If you choose to use something else then you might be voiding your warranty. Just like when you modify parts on a street car, you can be denied warranty claims on the basis that you changed parts that led to the failure.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess my question was what if you decide not to use the cluster at all and use aftermarket guages? We haven't seen yet what the plans are for the interior and dash of the car, and I don't know if the sube cluster is the same in all the donors listed, if its not then I suspect like on the roadster FFR will provide a dash that you can pull the cluster apart and stick the gauges into. If they go that route, then using aftermarket gauges and building your own dash panel will be easy to do as well. Not trying to hi-jack the thread, just thought it was something to consider, I love that AJW wants to provide these kits with a warrenty, it is awesome, but something to consider as well.

-Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ the cluster is the same for all approved donors listed (02-07 imprezas)
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty sure they're going to use the stock gauge cluster to keep costs down. The tachometer moves to the center in 04+ wrx models

Post Thanks / Like
    I REALLY like the the idea of the "donor pallet". And I really DON'T like the car stripping and hulk disposal components of the build project. I'll be taking a very close look at this before I buy a donor and strip it myself. And there appear to be at least two vendors already in place. That means competition, which is good for us!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Someday I Suppose View Post
    I guess my question was what if you decide not to use the cluster at all and use aftermarket guages?
    Good question Scott.

In the H6 thread, PhyrraM said:

Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    First, the Engine ECU does not recieve a speed sensor signal directly. It most likely recieves this over the CANBUS from either the auto-transmission ECU (tranny sensors) or the ABS/traction control ECU (wheel sensors). Maybe both? The speedometer in the cluster also seems to get its ECM info (speed, fuel level, temp, etc) through the CANBUS.

Whatever inter-relationships the Engine ECU and the Tranny ECU have (might as well add the Traction control ECU too), they communicate through the CANBUS network.

The coded key immobilizer also communicates all the 'secret numbers' though the CANBUS. Even the instrument cluster is somehow involved in starting the car (through the CANBUS, of course). Also interesting is that BOTH the engine ECU and the transmission ECU can enable the immobilizer relay.
    Is a stock cluster required?

Post Thanks / Like
    I could be wrong, but I do not believe Canbus was on the 02-07 imprezas/wrx. I know for a fact, my 06 WRX ECU has an input for VSS directly on the ECU. I tapped into it for a heads up display at one point.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvertop View Post
    I REALLY like the the idea of the "donor pallet". And I really DON'T like the car stripping and hulk disposal components of the build project. I'll be taking a very close look at this before I buy a donor and strip it myself. And there appear to be at least two vendors already in place. That means competition, which is good for us!
    Sounds good, happy to help!

Post Thanks / Like
    My quote was from the H6 thread. It applies to 3.0R and 3.6 motors. None of the "appoved donor" '02-'07 Imprezas were CANBUS.

Post Thanks / Like
    My quote was from the H6 thread. It applies to 3.0R and 3.6 motors. None of the "appoved donor" '02-'07 Imprezas were CANBUS.
    Sweet! Thanks for the info Mechie3 and PhyrraM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Just wanted to make sure people new. The 08 FXT (turbo Forester) uses the a 2.5, 5speed and would likely be a good donor but does use Canbus. Not sure if all 08+ do as the forester often got newer tech before the impreza did.

EDIT: Finding a 5 spd 08 FXT will be hard enough though.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    This is perfect for me. I work a lot of hours and this would save time. Time = money for me. So, this is good news. 300HP and all I do is order it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    .... The 08 FXT (turbo Forester) uses the a 2.5, 5speed and would likely be a good donor but does use Canbus. Not sure if all 08+ do as the forester often got newer tech before the impreza did..
    Are you sure? '08 would be the last year on the 'old' '03-'08 chassis. I would be suprised if Subaru added CANBUS for one year on an outgoing model. They may have though. '09 was a brand new Forester (based on the '08+ Impreza) so I would think that would have been the Forester CANBUS introduction.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I could still hit my $15k target I would totally be down for ordering a standard wrx pallet!
    I don't really have the room to be parting out a car AND building a car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by soul strife View Post
    This is perfect for me. I work a lot of hours and this would save time. Time = money for me. So, this is good news. 300HP and all I do is order it.
    Yes, agreed!
    Let us know if you need any support in the future we would be happy to help

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you sure? '08 would be the last year on the 'old' '03-'08 chassis. I would be suprised if Subaru added CANBUS for one year on an outgoing model. They may have though. '09 was a brand new Forester (based on the '08+ Impreza) so I would think that would have been the Forester CANBUS introduction.
    http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...05-post12.html

Looks like a lot of cars got it in 07. Wrx got it in 08.
    Friend had a wrb 5mt 08 txt. He didn't know what canbus was but liked saying it to be funny.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    what gauge wire should you typically use for pcm wiring?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, agreed!
    Let us know if you need any support in the future we would be happy to help
    I will keep you guys in mind as well. My hardest decision is going to be does the S2000 or the MX-5 get sold to make room for the 818R.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by apexanimal View Post
    what gauge wire should you typically use for pcm wiring?
    When I did a wire tuck on my Subaru (extended main harness 2 feet, ran wires through fender) I think I used mostly 14 to 18. I tried to match what was already used and anything that was shielded with a ground braid was re-shielded on the extensions (mostly MAF wires IIRC).
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    It's certainly a lot of money, but not a ripoff. I'm still at the point of my life where I tend to be stingy when it comes to money vs time. Buying a product? Sure, I'll pay for it. Paying for a service I can do myself and I have the free time? Becomes hard for me to justify. I'd rather use that money for more parts. :lol:

I'd say yes. So far I got my 06 WRX donor for $4095. Kit is $10k. That's roughly $14000. Lots of parts you can sell and make $50 here and there and a few parts that can fetch a few hundred (full doors, etc).
    I'm in the same boat, I have the time so stripping a salvage vehicle works for me. I have $3500 + in my 05 wrx with 70,000 miles. It needs a front driver's control arm and I see used aluminum ones on EBay for $230...

I have some parts that will be sold off but not many...

The Bendpak 4 post lift is in my garage and will be set up and operational in a few days! Should help quite a bit with the stripping activity. I have powder coating capability so I'm going to PC everything that I can! Shouldn't need much reconditioning with 70k miles but I'll go over everything, as AJW quoted on this forum you need to make sure everything is up to snuff vs doing a build with used un-evaluated components. I enjoy taking the time to do that suff, others want to buy preprepped ready to install parts. To each their own... I have more time than money and plan on being pretty close to $17,000 for the build

Post Thanks / Like
    When I did a wire tuck on my Subaru (extended main harness 2 feet, ran wires through fender) I think I used mostly 14 to 18. I tried to match what was already used and anything that was shielded with a ground braid was re-shielded on the extensions (mostly MAF wires IIRC).
    thanks mechie!

Post Thanks / Like

"Will we have some donor kits for 5,000.00? The answer is yes there will be, but there will also be 15,000.00 packages and custom options which will lead to much more than that. It is all about meeting the customer’s needs and building the donor package or complete 818 vehicle to their vision/use, within their budget of course."

Thanks,
    Andrew
    With the ballpark cost of the donor kits, do you have a ballpark cost on the turnkey pricing yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    On topic with the Original Poster

Donor Kit Beta Program: (Launched this last night):

http://818donors.com/donor-beta-program/

Check it out, let us know your thoughts. Full kits starting at 5,000.00 and going up from there based on the donor and what packages you choose.

A link explaining how pricing works:

http://818donors.com/warranty-faq/

Thanks!
    Andrew
    Last edited by AJW Performance; 06-26-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a good start. Unless I missed it, I didn't see any info on returning a deposit, you may want to add some clarification on that issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you
    Yes it is located on the application form at the bottom of the beta donor kit page

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Does this mean only those who buy your Beta donor kit will get first dibs on the 818 kit? I bought my own donor and performance parts from you. Does that count?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast