Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: center bore on wheels

Post Thanks / Like

center bore on wheels

My current car is in mock-up wheels. I had to machine out the inside (hub area) of some 17 inch wheels with approximately 6 inch backspacing to fit the hub size on the front axles, just over 2 3/4 inches on my SER Number 1000327.

1. sure looks like this is going to be a problem with many aftermarked wheels? how about past builders, have issues with this?
    2. my rear axles are Strange, they have 3 inch center offset, i can use small spacers to fix this. But really have problem here also.
    3. I would like to run a more classic rodder deep dish look, I like the look of some E/T 5 window wheels for this type of hot rod, but they only come in 15 inch diameter, and not sure if they would fit. Almost too scared to even get the dimension sheets because i would be tempted to buy then, cause i know they are gonna be close to my calipers. Anyone running 15 inch E/T wheels on a 33HR?
    4. anyone with ideas on these items?

thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    You're running an 8.8 or 9 inch rear axle? When you mean 3 inch center offset, 3 inches from what center? 15in on the rear should not be a huge problem if you're running stock rear brakes, it's the fronts that have the larger calipers. You'll most likely have to machine the fins off the calipers to make them fit. I don't think anyone is running 15" E/Ts but I know that others are running 15" wheels like Chuck Armstrong. If you go with 17" wheels with the appropriate backspacing it will certainly

Post Thanks / Like
    i got a 9 inch rear. the wilwood brakes on the rear are basically the same diameter as the fronts. The 3 inch center bore is the diameter of the axle raised center section. On the front this is just greater than 2.75 inches to clear the axle nut housing area and cap. On the rear the center is at 3 inches to clear the raised portion of the axle that Strange Engineering put in the axles. The mockup wheels that i have installed were 17 inch off of a newer ford 500/taurus like, I had to machine out the center bore in these wheels to fit them to the wheel hub flange. I dont want to have to do the same with my final wheel choice. Just looking for others with some insight on this issue?

Trick Tool Maker, Super Moderator Hankl's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The problem you have is that the later wheels are "Hub Centric", the flange on the axle and front spindle of the newer Fords use the hub flange to insure that the wheels are centered on the axle/hub correctly. You will continue to have this problem with new wheels. You have the option of having the axle flange turned down to the correct diameter to eliminate the problem, or doing what you are now. IMHO, it would serve you better to have the axle flange turned down, so that any wheel in the future would fit.

Hank
    “If you didn’t have enough time to do it right the first time. How come you always have time to go back and do it again?” FFR1000186CP

Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car.
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Center bore is 70.3 on most mid year Mustangs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hot rod's attitude is often largely the wheels and tires. How about some photos of good tire selections. It seems most builders follow FFR's suggestions. I've got to buy tires soon and want a taller rear tire on my 18 x10s. Anyone tried BIG tires?

Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup. Check out this build thread. He had to do some mods to get the bigger tire to fit but it looks good. http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-Hot-Rod-Build

Anything over 29" overall diameter requires some "assistance" for clearance.