Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dick Smith, #198

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dick Smith, #198

In April 2007, the racing community lost the legendary Dick Smith in a plane crash that claimed his life and that of his stepson Kyle. Dick was the owner and driver of CSX 3035, the famous #198 that set a speed record at Daytona with his original Cobra. It's only a matter of time before a book is written about the life and times of Dick Smith. As impressive as his racing victories were, it was his personality and sincere desire to help others that we all remember the most.

I got to know Dick later in life and many others know stories personally that I only know second hand.

I loved Dick Smith. He was a great man, a great teacher and mentor. He was kind, generous, courageous, daring, skillful, a great driver, a great friend, honest, respectful. He never yearned for the limelight, but lived his life in a manner worthy of it, even more than many who get attention.

In 1997 I crashed hard at Run and Gun. After the car was fixed I was putting my helmet on to go back out. Dick was racing with our guys and came over to me. He put his hand on my shoulder and said to me…

“Most of the people here don’t know what it’s like to wreck bad and then go back out… I know you’re scared right now but don’t get into that car and drive like a kitty-cat. “ (But he didn't say kitty-cat.)

When I climbed out of the car he said he was proud of me. That was one of the great moments of my life. I swear I would’ve done anything not to let him down, and I think he knew that. Dick has been the inspiration for so much that we have done at Factory Five. Even through the ****** lawsuits, he was steadfast with great advice. He knew the truth and he said it without window dressing.

Dick was the best. All of us would be lucky to be a tenth the man he was. We miss him so much. We are all the most fortunate for having known him and are all proud as hell that he allowed us to be his friends.

We miss you Dick. We pray you are in heaven right now, at speed and smiling.

Dave Smith

Stories about Dick Smith are numerous and I invite any of you to add your personal stories of Dick. Here's a link to a page with many more images.

Dick Smith with his wife Heather and me at Infineon Raceway, Factory Five Nationals, 2002

Dick Smith gives me some last minute advice before heading out, Run-N-Gun, 1997

Dick Smith and Bob Bondurant at Las Vegas 2003 Challenge Series Nationals

1997 Run-N-Gun, a motley crew in the early days of Factory Five. Dick was a good friend to our company from the earliest days.

God Speed Dick Smith.
    Last edited by Dave Smith; 02-22-2011 at 09:40 AM.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like

These shots were taken in the BVI in 2007 when we spent a week sailing. A Pirates Life For Me
    Last edited by Chuck Robertson; 02-22-2011 at 10:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Chuck Robertson!! Can you post that photo bigger!? As one of Dicks closest friends, I would love to hear your stories. Good to see you post here man. Say hi to Penny.

Dave Smith
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    How many stories do you want, I have many. I also have tons of pics going back to when I restored #198.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    David, I really don't have any stories of Dick's racing experiences because I didn't know him then. We became freinds latter on. The only time we on the track together was a Willow Springs at a COCOA event, he made me feel like my car was stuck in reverse. To this day I have never seen a guy that could make a Cobra run like Dick did.
    Here a shot of Roger getting ready to drive 198 at Willow, I think Roger was ready to poop in his pants, it's sad that neither one of these guys are still with us.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is fast and there is quick. Then there is scary fast and scary quick. I got to drive Dick's car once. That car is fast and quick. Then, Dick drove it with me in the passenger seat. SCARY FAST AND SCARY QUICK.

I used to get well over 100-mph a couple of times a shift at work and it wasn't anything I wasn't used to. But that car, with Dick behind the wheel.....that's a whole different kinda fast.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sadly I never knew the man but the stories you all tell over the years makes me wish I had had the opportunity, a life to emulate........Steven
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Chuck, I'm working on Rogers thread buddy. What a wonderful time we all had! Post away brothers. I told Heather I would help write a book about Dick and have a tom of his friends and old materails. How lucky we are were to know him.

Dave
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a pic of Dick & Chuck my wife took at the 2006 Western States Cobra Bash

Help! - How do I change this pic from a thumbnail to a full picture? (Do I feel like a rookie or what?)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mad Dog; 02-22-2011 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Helped with embedding photo - Mad Dog
    Doug Rosier
    FFR #4737. IRS, Dual Roll Bars, 427w, TKO, Wilwood Brakes, Mass-Flo Fuel Injection, Bullit Wheels, a Bimini Top and Plenty of Fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    It's really nice seeing all of those pictures. Dick was an amazing man with a fabulous life. He is missed every day. Thank you to everyone for keeping his memory alive. It is very fun hearing all the stories about him and seeing pictures I haven't seen before.