Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dick Smith, #198

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dick Smith, #198

In April 2007, the racing community lost the legendary Dick Smith in a plane crash that claimed his life and that of his stepson Kyle. Dick was the owner and driver of CSX 3035, the famous #198 that set a speed record at Daytona with his original Cobra. It's only a matter of time before a book is written about the life and times of Dick Smith. As impressive as his racing victories were, it was his personality and sincere desire to help others that we all remember the most.

I got to know Dick later in life and many others know stories personally that I only know second hand.

I loved Dick Smith. He was a great man, a great teacher and mentor. He was kind, generous, courageous, daring, skillful, a great driver, a great friend, honest, respectful. He never yearned for the limelight, but lived his life in a manner worthy of it, even more than many who get attention.

In 1997 I crashed hard at Run and Gun. After the car was fixed I was putting my helmet on to go back out. Dick was racing with our guys and came over to me. He put his hand on my shoulder and said to me…

“Most of the people here don’t know what it’s like to wreck bad and then go back out… I know you’re scared right now but don’t get into that car and drive like a kitty-cat. “ (But he didn't say kitty-cat.)

When I climbed out of the car he said he was proud of me. That was one of the great moments of my life. I swear I would’ve done anything not to let him down, and I think he knew that. Dick has been the inspiration for so much that we have done at Factory Five. Even through the ****** lawsuits, he was steadfast with great advice. He knew the truth and he said it without window dressing.

Dick was the best. All of us would be lucky to be a tenth the man he was. We miss him so much. We are all the most fortunate for having known him and are all proud as hell that he allowed us to be his friends.

We miss you Dick. We pray you are in heaven right now, at speed and smiling.

Dave Smith

Stories about Dick Smith are numerous and I invite any of you to add your personal stories of Dick. Here's a link to a page with many more images.

Dick Smith with his wife Heather and me at Infineon Raceway, Factory Five Nationals, 2002

Dick Smith gives me some last minute advice before heading out, Run-N-Gun, 1997

Dick Smith and Bob Bondurant at Las Vegas 2003 Challenge Series Nationals

1997 Run-N-Gun, a motley crew in the early days of Factory Five. Dick was a good friend to our company from the earliest days.

God Speed Dick Smith.
    Last edited by Dave Smith; 02-22-2011 at 09:40 AM.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing