FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Working on the donor

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am pretty set on the white pearl, but let's see what they offer, it could be interesting

Post Thanks / Like
    I took my steering rack partially apart again. After reading this:

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_artic...ring-rack.aspx

I decided I wanted to try welding my pinion as well. However, I can't press the bearing off. I didn't put too much pressure on it as all I can do is grab the outer race. The number on the bearing is NSK 6905 which has dimensions of 25 x 42 x 9. When I measure the parts in my hand, I got 22 x 42 x 9. I'm hesitant to just cut the bearing off since it seems finding a replacement will be rather difficult.

Has anyone attempted this?
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I am replacing my stock control arm bushings with poly ones from Energy Suspension. Getting out the stock units is the hardest part. Also I am watching videos of some FFR builds. ( Two Guys Garage) Lots of interesting ideas and tips that will help me in my build. This will be my first Kit car and I like to learn from others so I don't make as many mistakes. I highly suggest this while waiting for your kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I cut it off, you don't need or want it. It is the definition of a depowered rack.
    The hardest part of this build will be the rerouting and cutting of the harness unless they are giving us one. The mechanics of this kit will be a snap, the other hurdle for some may be the prep and paint if they go glass. I have begun to look over the harnesses and started to tape off what i will and will not be using to try to get a jump on it. The only other thing I need is my brake rebuild kits and a fuel pump set up.
    Last edited by metalmaker12; 12-22-2012 at 03:20 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmaker12 View Post
    I cut it off, you don't need or want it. It is the definition of a depowered rack.
    I cut the piston off quite some time ago. I'm referring to the ball bearing that supports the pinion and is located above the spool valve and is just below the spline for the u joint. I want to weld the spool valve to eliminate the torsion bar slop.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Mechie,

I'm really surprised that a bearing marked 6905 has a 22 mm ID instead of a 25 mm ID.

By any chance did you use a digital caliper? I've had them re-set the zero function on me and come up with incorrect measurements. I prefer my dial calipers for that reason.

FWIW, as a quick check using a wrench. 22 mm is extremely close to 7/8ths inch while 25 mm is just under an inch.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sorry for the miscue. What year is your donor, on my 02 I have left my pinion gear as is, but plan on doing the same. I have welded them up on miatas, and 240's and I will on my 818. I will have to look at it over the next week and than power up my tig machine and put a bead around the spool value. I am a certified welder in almost every type so this is fun compared to my day job. And yes the digital calipers tend to be off slightly, I only use starrett measuring tools in my measuring. When it comes to racks I have been thinking of using a Honda fit electric powered rack, it has a close ratio and is close to the same size. This would give the 818 power assist with no lines and fluid. But to start I will use the oem de-powered rack.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used digital and manual and double checked the zeros. Had our machinist check it too to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Only thing I can think of is that a sleeve of some sort is pressed onto the shaft masking the true id. Donor is an 06 wrx.
    Last edited by Mechie3; 12-23-2012 at 03:16 PM.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quietly making progress.

Right side is wire wheeled and coated with Eastwoods version of POR15. Left side is the same plus a gloss black paint sprayed on it.

Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks Good! I used a wire wheel also, then Eastwood paint. Black is the way to go IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got an update on my Quaife install, both carrier bearings didn't feel quite right, over $100 each from Subaru to replace them, it will be right when it gets finished! The gears look great! I told them not to rush since it won't get installed until summer...

I sand blasted my carriers and used the anti rust coating then the Eastwood black chassis paint too

Post Thanks / Like
    Well it has been awhile since I posted to this thread. I installed my Energy Suspension front control arm bushings today after a hard fought battle. First it is not easy removing the stock ones. After that I ordered kit 19.3101G for a 2002 WRX that was my donor. The front bushing fit fine. The rear steel sleeve was way too big. After calling Energy Suspension they sent a steel sleeve that was close but no cigar. I had to buy a 25/32" drill and drill out the center then use a step drill to bell the end. It finally worked out after a lot of work. I wanted to post this in case someone else goes this route. Here are some photos. Good luck to all. I am back to my 33 donor parts to work on.

DSC00081.jpgDSC00082.jpgDSC00084.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    as I always say Tom; "looking good!"

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910