FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Working on the donor

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    I think you confused me (guy with totaled wrx due to lady running red) with metalmaker (guy posting pics of clean parts).
    Yeah, I didn't see it was metalmaker12 that posted the pics. I thought it was you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My donor was a usdm 02 wrx, the motor was purchased separately. Don't be afraid of getting the 6spd, it will be much easier to fit than many think, and you can always sell it for good money. I have a 02 wrx 5spd with a RA gearset on the way waiting to install and a 04 sti 6spd, there within a couple inches of each other. I will get 6spd to work as well. Theses cars usdm/jdm are like soooo interchangeable it is crazy. I would get a solid wrx and go from there. You will need 15,000-22,000 total for this build. I would lean more towards 20k to play it safe.

Post Thanks / Like
    My garage is getting kinda dirty.

Emptying gas and dropping rear subframe/suspension:
    https://vimeo.com/45014281

Dropping gas tank and cutting floorpan up:
    https://vimeo.com/45108670
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't wait to find mine! Cool time elapse video.

Post Thanks / Like
    Someone wanted to buy my rear quarter panel skins and door jams to do a widebody conversion on a wagon (for those interested, see here http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2143885 ) Got those cut off and cut up the rear. Where there once was a car there's now a dirty floor and a pile of cut up scrap.

https://vimeo.com/45210402
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Look like great therapy, the last time someone hit my car it took me a while to get over the anger issues. Knowing the heart and soul of your car will continue on must be helpfull.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I have been busy restoring the front wheel assemblies and rack. Here is a picture of the rack after I depowered it and replaced boots and ends. I'll send photos of the engine upgrade soon. Lots of cleaning and painting parts for assembly so far.

DSC02626.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice. I took apart one of my rear hubs yesterday. Bearing was a bit loose. Everything is a bit rusty from spending the first three years of existence in upstate NY. Plan to wire wheel it all and paint it.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice rack! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Well I have been busy restoring the front wheel assemblies and rack. Here is a picture of the rack after I depowered it and replaced boots and ends. I'll send photos of the engine upgrade soon. Lots of cleaning and painting parts for assembly so far.

DSC02626.JPG
    did you do anything internally, or just the hoses?

Post Thanks / Like

Just hoses

Quote Originally Posted by apexanimal View Post
    did you do anything internally, or just the hoses?
    I removed the lines,hoses and clamps. Then blocked off some and joined the center lines. Nothing internal. Seems to work just fine. TEHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I would remove the inner seal,add a lot of greese and weld the pinion neck solid, it will be much faster if you do so. But to each there own

Post Thanks / Like
    I was curious about this welding of the pinion neck and found this resource: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread...d+pinion+shaft
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/idothingsquickly/videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are pictures of my redone RF wheel assembly and intake. I replaced the wheel bearings, seals, lower balljoint, rotor and pads. I painted the caliper. On the intake I replaced all gaskets, hoses and upgraded injectors from AJW. I painted the top of the manifold and injector shields. I am going to replace all vacuum and water hoses as well.

DSC02628.JPGDSC02630.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am jealous, I want to be working on a donor. It's time to start looking for one I suppose.

Looks good Wallace! Keep up the good work and I enjoy seeing everyones progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wallace, looks good. Not sure how familiar you are with Subarus, but most people ditch the injector shields. They're commonly known as the "Green Brackets of Death" or, GBOD. Makes changing injectors, o-rings, or anything else in that area difficult with them installed.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    They were only 4 bolts each side. I figuired Subaru would not put them there if they did not think they were needed. JMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    At least when installed on the car they're difficult to take off and fish out. They were designed to protect the injectors in case of a large frontal impact.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    DSCF0012.JPGDSCF0011.JPGDSCF0013.JPGDSCF0015.JPGDSCF0019.JPGI finally attacked my 05 donor today...

14 hours later...
    about 200 lbs of wire loom sitting inside the car
    engine and transmission sitting on a dolley
    many beat up knuckles
    many smiles and several opportunities to take out my saws all, actually destroyed one cutting the front supports and some of the front "frame" where it was accident damaged (luckily I have two!)
    lots of plastic interior pieces
    seats, doors and many miscellaneous parts all boxed up
    suspension and diff next!

Sorry about the poor image quality, using the throw away camera with the greasy hands! Forgot to reset the date after the batteries died too...

Post Thanks / Like
    The wiring is the only part that I find daunting. So much interlinking of stuff that you have to be careful what you cut out, and what you don't.

Got another video made yesterday. Nothing too exciting like chopping up a car. I think right now that the one section of my garage floor is cleaner than your kitchen floor. I'm not sure if that's sad or awesome. I'm going with awesome. Too bad there's a few new rust stains. :sadbanana:

https://vimeo.com/45553694

This is how you fit a WRX onto a 6'x8' trailer:

Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Question for Subaru experts. There are 2 small tubes bolted to the intercooler on my 2002 WRX. Were do they go to on each side? My donor had lots of ripped out vacuum lines and I am trying to get everything correct as I assemble the motor. Thanks for any help. T.W.

Post Thanks / Like
    Grab the field service manual from this site. It's a Godsend when you're not sure what connects to what.

Post Thanks / Like
    10/4 thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    The wiring is the only part that I find daunting. So much interlinking of stuff that you have to be careful what you cut out, and what you don't.

Got another video made yesterday. Nothing too exciting like chopping up a car. I think right now that the one section of my garage floor is cleaner than your kitchen floor. I'm not sure if that's sad or awesome. I'm going with awesome. Too bad there's a few new rust stains. :sadbanana:

https://vimeo.com/45553694

This is how you fit a WRX onto a 6'x8' trailer:

Great work. Only suggestion is to place a large tarp on the trailer prior to putting parts on it. That way you can just fold up the tarp around it when you take it to the yard. Twice I have had incidents where people stuff came off their roof or truck bed.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

So... I LIED!!! the wiring only weighs about 40 lbs, I put it in a big plastic tub and tossed it on my bathroom scale...

Back to my coffee, suspension bits etc starts now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flytosail View Post
    Great work. Only suggestion is to place a large tarp on the trailer prior to putting parts on it. That way you can just fold up the tarp around it when you take it to the yard. Twice I have had incidents where people stuff came off their roof or truck bed.
    I was going to wrap a canvas tarp over teh top of it and strap it down with every ratchet strap I own (~10). No way I'd go down the street with it just as it is.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    another 10 hrs today

now there isn't a single bolt on the chassis that hasn't been removed
    the bone yard is hauling it away tomorrow!

I discovered that my steering rack is trashed from the roll over, need to find a rack
    So my Copart roll over had a broken front wheel, broken lower control arm and busted rack
    shopping time!

Next question: Anyone have a trick to get that damn cross bolt out of the rear suspension? My 650 ft lb air gun can't break the bolt free...

TRime to start listing parts for sale on craigslist and the Sube forums! yeee haaa
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    The first time I took mine off to upgrade the bushings I had to use an angle grinder to cut the head off and point it through with a punch. Anyone doing work with that bolt typically buys new bolts before starting in anticipation of it getting cut.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is my latest pictures. I am waiting on new coolant hoses to continue. Also I cut my right index finger putting on the S/S clamps . I am waiting for a little healing before moving on. Here is 2. By the way AJW has been a great source for parts and help. They offer very good prices as well as excellant service. Much better than other sources I have contacted. I recommend them highly.

DSC02631.JPGDSC02632.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    looks nice, what type of reconditioning did you do? timing belt, head gaskets etc... ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a 2002 WRX from a Sheriffs ranch. It is a place for wayward boys to repair cars. They got over their heads with the subaru. The car had 276,000 miles on it. But it came with a zero miles CCR rebuilt 2.0 EJ motor in the trunk. The engine has been totally recon to stock specs with lots of new parts. This was too good for me to pass on. The car was butchered under the hood but I am slowly fixing everything. I am installing a performance kit suggested by AJW on the rebuilt motor. I just have to recon the brackets and such. I am replacing all hoses and such. It has been fun learning the Subie stuff. I hope you can enjoy the ride with me. thanks, T.W.

Post Thanks / Like

My '04 donor

Here is my major donor car. It's an '04 that tangled with a van. The gentleman that owned it from when it was new took OCD care of the car and had all the records. He let the insurance drop to minimum coverage and it would have cost him far too much to repair the car. I picked it up for a song and a dance. I have sold over $600 worth of interior pieces. which brings the cost in under $1,500.

And several hours later .....

And as soon as every unboltable piece is removed from the car A local recycle-er is giving me $500 for the shell.

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks super clean and nice. Great job!

Post Thanks / Like
    no wonder it looks so clean! I'm torn as to how much I should do on a 70k motor... It appears to only have AEM intake and filter as the only mod, turbo down and up pipes, turbo etc are stock and original

Since it's an unknown I was thinking:

pull the heads, check the bores and replace head gaskets
    replace timing belt and water pump, tensioners etc
    powder coat cam covers, brackets etc
    pull oil pan, replace oil pump, check main bearings
    powder coat oil pan
    clean up all the exhaust covers etc...
    delete ps pump and ac comp, modify brackets and tensioner, powdercoat as required
    thoughs????

(now back to a 1/2 done brake job on one of my winter beaters, a 93 Civic Del Sol SI)

Post Thanks / Like
    You can't check main bearings without splitting the block and doing a full tearsown. At that point you're doing a full build and adding quite a bit of cost. Obviously easier to do it now nut if the car looks to be stock and on decent condition there's no reason you can't get several years of DD use out of it as it sits.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    decent condition? haha... i found many beer bottle caps under the seats etc... Easy to guess why/how it got rolled over!
    I'll trust that the bearings are good vs splitting the block and doing everything, that's why I wanted a low mileage donor, to avoid a total rebuild!

Since I currently have 10 cars/trucks it is safe to say an 818 won't see more than 4000 miles per year...

Post Thanks / Like
    Doble post
    Last edited by rhenry01; 07-16-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it rolled, I'd at least pull the oil pan and check for metal flakes. If it ran for an extended period while upside down, that could be bad. You could also reach 3 of the 4 rod bearings and wiggle them.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    You seem to have a good plan RM1SepX. The original motor in my donor went 276K. That shows how tough these motors can be.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast