Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Working on the donor

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    If it rolled, I'd at least pull the oil pan and check for metal flakes. If it ran for an extended period while upside down, that could be bad. You could also reach 3 of the 4 rod bearings and wiggle them.
    pan's coming off for sure to get powder coated... I can't remember who borrowed my engine stand years ago so I'll be getting a new one and cleaning everything up

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems like the Subaru 'safety ring' really works. In your rollover pics you can see both the front and rear of the roof are crushed in, but the center held, preventing further roof collapse. Well built cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Here is my latest pictures. I am waiting on new coolant hoses to continue. Also I cut my right index finger putting on the S/S clamps . I am waiting for a little healing before moving on. Here is 2. By the way AJW has been a great source for parts and help. They offer very good prices as well as excellant service. Much better than other sources I have contacted. I recommend them highly.

Attachment 10680Attachment 10681
    That's one clean motor you have coming together Tom, looking good!

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I am getting closer. Just a few more hoses and wires to hook up. Next I'll install the clutch and flywheel. I am waiting on my trans to come back from a rebuild.

DSC02638.JPGDSC02637.JPG

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    All the videos in one. Total elapsed time (not counting cutting off the roof, the doors, or interior, which didn't get caught on video) was about 16 hours.

https://vimeo.com/46070474
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice vid!

Can't wait to see what you will come up with when you build your 818!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the time lapse video of the tear down.

Post Thanks / Like
    My 04 STi rear endlinks are bent. My car is still driveable so I'm going to replace them. Should I just buy OEM replacements for ~$60 or get TurnInConcepts replacements for ~$115. I'm thinking the TIC ones so I don't have to worry about them bending again everytime I jack up my car.

Post Thanks / Like
    that sure is a nice looking engine you got. did you get the entire heads colored or just the valve covers? I was thinking of doing the same thing myself. never done it before though. what did you do to get it done? powder coat or that engine paint they sell at like autozone?

Post Thanks / Like
    I just used high temp engine paint on the manifold and valve covers. I used Eastwood paint products on the rest and chassis parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wooward View Post
    My 04 STi rear endlinks are bent. My car is still driveable so I'm going to replace them. Should I just buy OEM replacements for ~$60 or get TurnInConcepts replacements for ~$115. I'm thinking the TIC ones so I don't have to worry about them bending again everytime I jack up my car.
    I would wait. On the prototype they don't even have swaybars so you might not need anything. If they do go with swaybars I would use the kartboy upgrades.

If you're talking about replacements on a subaru and not the 818 id still go kartboy from TIC.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    How do you bend endlikes jacking up the car? I've never run into that problem.

Edit: I guess I'd have to add that I've had billet whiteline end links since day one..
    Last edited by bugeye_fever; 07-27-2012 at 09:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If anyone is getting rid of the P/S on their WRX NAPA part # 050264SF works fine for just the Alt in this application. Be warned they don't give them away. $45.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the responses on endlinks. A common problem on the 04 STI and maybe other years is the sway bar flipping. It can occur if you jack up your car and set it down wrong or just flip on it's on while driving. Not sure how mine got bent. Since I plan to drive the car for the next year or two, I'm gonna get a set of TIC links. They are a little longer than OEM so they're supposed to prevent the rear swaybar from flipping.

Post Thanks / Like
    All the videos in one. Total elapsed time (not counting cutting off the roof, the doors, or interior, which didn't get caught on video) was about 16 hours.

https://vimeo.com/46070474
    Nice, I hadn't seen the combined one. Every time I watch one of these I hear the Benny Hill theme song, I'm not sure why.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuul View Post
    Every time I watch one of these I hear the Benny Hill theme song, I'm not sure why.
    Because that's some funny stuff!!

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    True. It was very funny! But I was impressed because it seems like you were incredibly organized in the way you did the task. Thanks for sharing! WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuul View Post
    Nice, I hadn't seen the combined one. Every time I watch one of these I hear the Benny Hill theme song, I'm not sure why.
    You're the second person to say that. I actually had to wikipedia/youtube it to find out what it was. Guess I'm not old enough.

Quote Originally Posted by skullandbones View Post
    True. It was very funny! But I was impressed because it seems like you were incredibly organized in the way you did the task. Thanks for sharing! WEK.
    It was somewhat organized though it was messier in person. The trays my wife gets from the hospital sure help. Makes it easy to pick parts off, dump them in groups, and then take care of them later.

Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Just assembled the new engine stand today
    does everyone use straps through the intake runners to lift the motor? (I did when I pulled the engine and transaxle)
    I'm used to motors that have dedicated pulling brackets/loops
    Next week pull some parts to powder coat and removing the PS pump and AC compressor, modifying the brackets

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm planing on pulling my motor this week. What's the best way to do this. Out the top, the bottom,with or with out the tranny. When I'm done I need to leave a rolling chassis so I can't just hack it up.. Also I'm looking into a rebuild? Anybody reputable in the Northeast United States.

Post Thanks / Like
    The "official" lift points are a stamped steel ring on the passenger rear (opposite the starter) and the steel air-conditioning/alternator bracket at the front.

I've used the intake many times without problems. You can also use the water crossover pipe if the manifold is off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    The "official" lift points are a stamped steel ring on the passenger rear (opposite the starter) and the steel air-conditioning/alternator bracket at the front.

I've used the intake many times without problems. You can also use the water crossover pipe if the manifold is off.
    I see the hole in the alternator bracket, the "ring" opposite the starter, do you mean the hole in the intercooler support?

they look to be well positioned and plenty strong

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the stamped steel bracket that supports the intercooler and the aluminum bracket that supports the AC/alternator.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the stamped steel bracket that supports the intercooler and the aluminum bracket that supports the AC/alternator.
    I just pulled mine out of the donor a couple days ago, those were the points I used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I finished reconditioning my LR wheel/Hub assembly today. New brakes, rotor, wheel bearing and seals. I painted every thing after blasting it clean. I also installed my alt belt sans A/C and P/S. Not too much left to do till trans comes back. Does anyone know what axle they are using in the back. My trans has female CV and I am wondering what the go cart used.

DSC02652.JPGDSC02654.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    i will be posting my motor next week, looking good bro

Post Thanks / Like
    Two quick questions. Am I correct in seeing thats there's only one big whole car harness and not a separate one for the engine? And if so are they year/ model specific?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    There is three harnesses, engine loom harness, engine bay harness and under dash harness.
    You should try to match them up, but they can be used together with some slight reworking 02-07 wrx/sti

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget the harness for the fuel pump, fuel gauge and tailights.

Post Thanks / Like
    The motors changed location, type, and number of sensors over the years. The engine harness to chassis harness connectors also changed. Easiest bet is to match up the motor year with the harness year.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    This is my favorite 818 thread so far. I love seeing all of the nuts and bolts coming together, especially because the car hasn't even been revealed yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Samiam1017 View Post
    Two quick questions. Am I correct in seeing thats there's only one big whole car harness and not a separate one for the engine? And if so are they year/ model specific?
    Ok maybe I should rephrase this... By engine harness I mean more than just the part that's on the motor. I also ment the wiring that goes to the ecu, and other sensors/controls not directly mounted on the engine. Like voltage sensor,boost controller,ect..... The wires come off the ecu go up behind the heater box. Then Appears to branch off and go deeper into the dash and some split out of the loom out to engine bay. So one whole car harness? And not a separate engine system? And they are year specific?
    Last edited by Samiam1017; 08-07-2012 at 08:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The whole car harness. It comes out in sections, start to take it apart and you will see. Yes they have changed a bit over the years. You need all the wiring off a wrx to use the turbo engine. Example: a 06-07 complete car harness( engine bay, engine loom, under dash, and rear section) and a motor and ecu to match those years, or some modification will be needed. My example: I have a 02-03 wrx complete car wiring set up, but I am using a 06-07 jdm sti engine. I am going to have to use the TGV wires to run my AVCS. The good thing about my jdm engine is that it has no TGV's like USDM cars, so I can use those wires to run the aka varable valve timing (Subaru Avcs). The boost controller is on the intake

Post Thanks / Like
    06 and 07 changed engine harnesses. Both cars have the airpump. 06 can ditch the airpump and all valves and associated wiring. 07 needs to retain part of one of the valves as it contains a secondary air pressure sensor that is not found on the 06.

To make life easy, match the year of the motor with the year of the harness. Even the ECU plugs changed slightly from year to year.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    The harness runs in weird locations, I'm guessing due to being both LHD and RHD configurations. I think that you end up with 4 or 5 sections, and it depends what you mean by sections. I "expanded" the holes through the side of the fender well and under the dash to make it easier to drag the harness through. Any excuse to attack with a saws all you know! The "antenna wire" wraps around the whole car!

Post Thanks / Like
    06 and 07 changed engine harnesses. Both cars have the airpump. 06 can ditch the airpump and all valves and associated wiring. 07 needs to retain part of one of the valves as it contains a secondary air pressure sensor that is not found on the 06.

To make life easy, match the year of the motor with the year of the harness. Even the ECU plugs changed slightly from year to year.
    i've been trying to follow threads on airpump deletes... do you have threads that detail their removal? i'm very interested... thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    That's only a partial removal.

They left both valves in place (or in the case of the 07 sti, there is only 1 valve, but they left it in), and left the hard airline connected to the passenger side head (probably because you can't remove it with the stock uppipe in place). That's another several pounds of stuff (and clutter).

from one thread (regarding 07+ cars, not 06).

am 100% sure about the Baro sensor. You can turn the codes off to keep them from throwing a CEL. But the sub-routines within the ecu remain active. You can however delete the air pump and all associated hardare (and codes) expect for the actuator it self. That's what has the baro sensor in it. Without it the ecu has no reference to actually atmospheric pressure once the engine is running. I learned this from experience on an 07 Sti. We eliminated the whole system. I had tuning issues. Then we found out that the actuator has the sensor in it. We simply put the actuator back and hooked up electrically. And vuala! Happy ecu again.
    Big long tech discussion:
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...ighlight=valve

One variation of the entire system (my 06 was a little different).
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    so, let me see if i've got it:

the 07's need to retain the drivers side sensor on egr valve, but still need associated codes turned off...
    the 06 wrx can have all hardware removed and associated codes turned off...
    <06 don't have airpumps...

?right?

the egr valve is part of this system and can be removed?
    Last edited by apexanimal; 08-09-2012 at 07:36 PM.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast