FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: had an idea

Post Thanks / Like

had an idea

its been a while since ive posted here and i had a friedn ask for some advice on how to reduce precived road noise in cabin, and aside from the run of the mill advice that he was already given i think i might have had an idea but im hesitant to give it to him becaus i dont know if it would work, so i thought i would run it by the forum for approval, so long story short here it is : would coating the mating surfaces of the springs and the shocks in glass weld reduce road-noise translation?
    Though you may try, you cannot break me. I am all that you wish you were but will never be.
    my prebuild/idea log

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't even begin to guess if that would work, however, we've got a 5.7L in ours, and have installed dynamat throughout the cockpit and it's really pretty quiet considering you pretty much lean on the engine while you drive.

If you are trying to get it quieter in the cockpit, dynamat or some similar product (good enough for jetliners). If you want the rest of the car to be tight, I think the guys on this forum use truckbed liner on everything from close-out panels to lining inside the hood and inside of doors, (with dynamat over it inside the doors, because it works AND adds weight enough for it to feel like a real door I hear).

I'm not sure how quiet you really want it too run?
    I would hardly call it unreasonably loud at our stage, in fact I really thought it would be much louder considering we run cats with no mufflers.
    But with every wire tied in tight, every closeout panel coated in truckbed liner and riveted on, sound dampening material like dynamat, carpet and leather, seals in place around windows and doors, it's quite honestly a solid and acceptable ride.
    In fact when I sit in it with motor running, I think the jeep patriot is louder.

Post Thanks / Like
    my idea wanst just limited to the gtm, i was actualy in my op refereing to a factory built vehicle, iv noticed that some factory vehicles have a nice ride but are noisy as hell inside. im trying to figure out a way to quiet them down a lil bit, its kind of a side project im working on
    Though you may try, you cannot break me. I am all that you wish you were but will never be.
    my prebuild/idea log

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by afourcault View Post
    my idea wanst just limited to the gtm, i was actualy in my op refereing to a factory built vehicle, iv noticed that some factory vehicles have a nice ride but are noisy as hell inside. im trying to figure out a way to quiet them down a lil bit, its kind of a side project im working on
    If its "quiet inside" that you want, then its sound dampers and associated products. Sold under many brand names, but I'd suggest the Second Skin site because they do a decent job of explaining the different layers. . . and you do need layers. . . to achieve a quiet interior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by afourcault View Post
    its been a while since ive posted here and i had a friedn ask for some advice on how to reduce precived road noise in cabin, and aside from the run of the mill advice that he was already given i think i might have had an idea but im hesitant to give it to him becaus i dont know if it would work, so i thought i would run it by the forum for approval, so long story short here it is : would coating the mating surfaces of the springs and the shocks in glass weld reduce road-noise translation?
    You can greatly reduce the noise floor by emulating what is done in high-end luxury vehicles.

The first step will be to correct what is wrong with the springs and shocks you asked about adding "glass" to. Take a look at them and see if you can correct the issue. Maybe there was a rubber bumper or similar item that is now missing. If they're not aftermarket items, there may have been a time in which they were quiet.

Now you can address the wheel wells and undercarriage. A quality undercoating will dampen the panels by lessening their ability to vibrate and transmit sound.

Now for the interior. This best practical approach starts with dampening the panels, minimizing their ability to vibrate and transmit sound. Then continue the process by blocking noise.

Dampen the panels with a dampener like dynamat or fatmat. Next you need an item to separate the dampened panel from what you will use to block sound. A closed cell foam or product like dynaliner works well here. The sound blocker can be the actual door panel or carpet backing. Luxury vehicles will have a heavy/thick vinyl carpet backing or similar material on door panels, rear seat backs and rear decks. You can use a mass loaded vinyl to do this. There are also combination products on the market now that take care of the last two items like fatmat floor liner and dynamat dynapad.

Maybe more that you were looking for and you can get positive results with just one of the techniques mentioned.

HTHs.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .

Post Thanks / Like
    Great advice from everyone here so far! I used a product called roadkill (basically dynamat) and dynaliner. Dynaliner is great stuff for sound deadening and sealing things like the dash and around the door.
    But, one thing that I noticed that made a big difference in the road noise was the tire itself. I went from the donor corvette tire to a Toyo proxie (very soft) tire. So I traded some mileage on the tires for handling and surprisingly Noise too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VD2021 View Post
    You can greatly reduce the noise floor by emulating what is done in high-end luxury vehicles.

The first step will be to correct what is wrong with the springs and shocks you asked about adding "glass WELD" to..
    weve torn his new car apart and gotten almost everything quieted down.. this was the last thing i was wondering about, cus pulling carpet and panels is one thing.. it doesnt mess with alignment.. springs on the other hand..they do and before we distroyed his alignment.. wanted to check
    my prebuild/idea log