Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How much power can a 5MT tranny take?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Lol, yes driving like a moron will get you no where but dead with 500 hp in 1800lbs. The force is the same here. Resistance does effect acceleration but I was stating how less mass will create less internal friction on the engine, tranny etc. Is it simple physics. It is like if you put the wrx engine and tranny in a big rig, not designed for that, its going to break,but put that in a light 818kg go kart and it will last. The horsepower was the same, what happened... see what I am saying. It has to do with the amount of load on the tranny which will +/- effect the internal friction of it's moving parts.
    I only want 300-350 whp tops, over that and your in full race car land.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am having Andrewtech rebuild my trans from my donor. I am waiting on the teardown to see if I need gears. If so I may upgrade the 1 thru 3 gearset. I am going to have somewhere near 300 RWP. I am not too hard on gearboxes so I hope it will be OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    At 350 whp you are probably pushing 370-400 flywheel. That is .20555555 hp per pound. A lamborghini aventador pushes about .202. What excites me is that 350 whp is almost trivial for an sti engine. I'm sure it can be accomplished with maybe just meth/e85, a tune, up/downpipe and some other supporting mods (remember though that many exhaust mods won't fit). No turbo upgrade required, which means no lag.

One thing I am wondering is are all 5 speeds the same. For example, would a manual from an older 1996 legacy or impreza hold the same power. I plan to use on older car (Since I am using a jdm engine) for a cheaper donor, and am wondering if this will suffice or i should just source the tranny elsewhere. If I got one from NASIOC I could probably find an upgraded 5 speed anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shinn497 View Post
    .......One thing I am wondering is are all 5 speeds the same. For example, would a manual from an older 1996 legacy or impreza hold the same power. ......
    It depends on who you believe in the Never Ending Tranny Debate.

The gears have been upgraded through the years, little else has. If you believe it's the gears that go pop, then upgrade. If you believe it's going to be the input shaft or the ring and pinion, early is fine. Keep in mind that early cars may need a different (but available) 2WD adapter kit.