Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kai-Rod's #236 Build Page

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not saying your car is ugly, because it isn't. It's very tastefully done and it looks beautiful however, the rear fenders has only reassured my decision to be completly open wheeled. It just seems that the designing that went into them wasn't done as well as the rest of the car. The fiberglass just looks to "blocky". It doesn't flow with the lines of the car and I feel that when they made them, they left something to be desired. There are at times that I have a hard time bringing myself to get a car that is almost all fiberglass but then I realize that it only means the car is going to be extremely light and I do believe in a strong powerplant so with less weight is less for the engine to tote around. Better power to weight ratio = Bigger smiles!

Post Thanks / Like
    What a great job!! I hope to see it live one day, now I have moved back to NL!!

Post Thanks / Like
    A few more pictures from very recently. I did paint the rear fenders black with rattle cans. The red was killing me. Now we need to decide how much more to cut before I lay the Fiat grey on them. I also mounted the door handles (not yet functional) and the driver side rear view mirror. I saw that others were using all possible positions including the one I used. After all I think the mirrors are more for the looks than for function.

Also a few pics from my last trip while having the five day temp tags. No rain this time. Just plain fun.

... and thanks for the kind words ...

PS: the speedo is not yet functioning !
    Kai
    Hanau/Germany
    Rides & Projects: 54 F100 347SBF/Auto; 65 Galaxie FB 446FE/5-Speed; 67 Mustang Convertible 306SBF/Auto; 07 Mustang GT Convertible 4.6 3V/Auto; #236 FFR Hot Rod 4.6 2V/5-Speed

Post Thanks / Like
    Got my new wheels and tires the other day. OZ Racing Ultraleggera in flat black. Tires are again Dunlops, but this time the SportMaxx GT. Front are now 8x18 with 235/40R18 and rear are 10x20 with 295/30R20.

This is what I had before. Italian made EtaBeta wheels:

And here are the also Italian made OZ Racing wheels:

Now the fenders will fit.

But I would love to drive like this:

Now I will sand the fenders and then paint the hood and the four fenders. I will probably cut the fenders some more, but first will go with them as they are.
    Kai
    Hanau/Germany
    Rides & Projects: 54 F100 347SBF/Auto; 65 Galaxie FB 446FE/5-Speed; 67 Mustang Convertible 306SBF/Auto; 07 Mustang GT Convertible 4.6 3V/Auto; #236 FFR Hot Rod 4.6 2V/5-Speed

Post Thanks / Like
    Love those rims and tires. Well done.

Post Thanks / Like
    ... a few more shots of the rod with the new wheel/tire combo.

Kai
    Hanau/Germany

Post Thanks / Like
    I just read through your build log.Very nicely built and is turning out great.Thats funny you liked Huntington Beach when you traveled to the states.Thats where I grew up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kai Rod-

LOVE the new wheels and tires!! They really complement the car beautifully! You have done a super job. Please keep us up-to-date!!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm dying to see how the fenders look with your new wheels and painted. Excellent thread... I have bookmarked it.
    Nick Sebastian - 33 Hot Rod #495
    Factory Five Forums - hdnik
    FFCars - lowntubd

Build Site/Blog - www.nicks33hotrod.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the build log. I just joined the forum and ordered my '33 kit today, so this is really helpful. Keep the updates coming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanx guys, ... appreciate the kind words ... have not done anything for a while now ... had to work on my 54 F100 ... the 33 is in the shop again since today ... however, I have no heating and we are now going below freezing ... so the painting of the fenders will have to wait till spring time ... Kai
    Kai
    Hanau/Germany

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am definitely stealing the carpet idea, it's a good one!

Post Thanks / Like
    The car looks great, and coming from sport compacts the OZ Ultraleggera's are sweet. Great thread, great information with pictures, and you have a great workspace!

Post Thanks / Like
    Worked on the 33 some more. Another cold winter with snow ...

Interesting light effects from the steering wheel ...

A little snow on this photo, but we had a lot just a few days ago so that I could not get the barn door open at all ...

Since I have a new door frame on the driver side and an old one on the pax side I had to modify the door mechanism for the driver side to make it work with the hardware I had.

Pax side:

Driver side:

I also painted the fenders and hood the weekend before last. We had a few warm days, but then it got below freezing with plenty of snow. I was lucky for 48 hours, but that was good enough ... photos to follow shortly ...
    Kai
    Hanau/Germany

Post Thanks / Like
    I got lucky and we had a weekend without below freezing temperatures. I took a half day off and painted my fenders and hood.

All parts already had been covered with epoxy prime before the winter hit.

After sanding I placed them in my temporary paint booth in my garage.

One layer of black primer which is the best basis for the grey top coat.

Again sanding and then washing the dust off.

Warming up in a little sun shine and Ready to go.

Next day I took the paint booth down (see in the back ground), pushed the 67 Mustang back into the garage and placed the painted parts on top. Only hours later the temperatures went down and two days later snow hit again. Puuh.

Kai
    Hanau/Germany

Post Thanks / Like
    A shot from last night. I put three of the four fenders on. Still struggle with the mounting of one of the front fenders. Cutting threads into S/S is not easy. Even so I have the correct tap I broke it off. Oh Sh......

But at least this looks good. I think.

... now working the broken tap ...
    Kai
    Hanau/Germany

Factory Five Distributor Hammink Performance's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Kai,

That does look great! Very amazing that you can everything incl. the painting yourself!
    Distributor of Factory Five for Europe
    www.hamminkperformance.com

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic car! You should be very proud of the work you have done. Thank you for sharing with us. I have learned some things that are helping me on my kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai-Rod View Post
    A shot from last night. I put three of the four fenders on. Still struggle with the mounting of one of the front fenders. Cutting threads into S/S is not easy. Even so I have the correct tap I broke it off. Oh Sh......

But at least this looks good. I think.

... now working the broken tap ...
    Kai Rod,

What was the offset/backspace of your rear wheels. They fill the fenders nicely.
    Nick Sebastian - 33 Hot Rod #495
    Factory Five Forums - hdnik
    FFCars - lowntubd

Build Site/Blog - www.nicks33hotrod.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Nick, ... these are the wheels I am using:

Front: OZ Ultraleggera 8x18 ET35 with Dunlop Sport Maxx GT 235/40-18

Rear: OZ Ultraleggera HLT 10x20 ET35 with Dunlop Sport Maxx GT 295/30-20
    Kai
    Hanau/Germany

Post Thanks / Like
    Fenders are mounted and hood put in place (but not mounted yet) ...

Kai
    Hanau/Germany

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Kai-Rod,

Please check for a PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    ... OK. Finally no more snow (hopefully). Time to move the 33 out of the barn for a few shots. What do you think ?

Kai
    Hanau/Germany

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks super good. Any plans for the future?

Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking car. I would not have guessed that the grey would look so good.
    www.33coyote.com
    Built with the help of my dad and sons
    coyote/TKO 600, Wilwood Brakes,Boyds tank, QA1 shocks
    Speedhut Gages, rag top, bike fenders, power steering

"Never let physics or common sense get in the way of a good idea"

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow.... Man, you do fantastic work! The attention to detail and doing the paint yourself. Absolutely, fantastic. Thank you for sharing and inspiring everyone.

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great job, it looks awesome.

Post Thanks / Like
    A few more better photos. Still in my driveway. Still struggling to get it licenses. Will get temp tags as soon as we finally get a few nice days. Plan to go to the largest German rod meeting week after next. Hope we have summer by then. ...

Kai
    Hanau/Germany

Post Thanks / Like
    ... and finally I had temp tags for two sunny week ends and drove the Rod to a couple of events. One photos shows the monthly classic car cruise at the Klassikstadt in Frankfurt and the other two were taken at the German Street Rod Nat's. There was certainly some discussion regarding me entering the pre-49 area. Told them that they can throw at least half of the other cars out if they were serious about age. :-)

The only problems so are a leaking fuel tank, bad rear brakes and rattling doors.

Aside of that: this car is great fun !!!

Kai
    Kai
    Hanau/Germany

Factory Five Distributor Hammink Performance's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great with all those other rods!
    Distributor of Factory Five for Europe
    www.hamminkperformance.com

Post Thanks / Like
    One more issue with the Hot Rod I forgot to mention. The bike fenders are hitting the head light buckets when turning. I have no idea how to fix this unless I would go to smaller head lights (5 3/4 instead of 7"). Anyone having a better idea ?

Kai
    Hanau/Germany

Post Thanks / Like
    If it was my car I would cut the front fender to almost a point in the center and taper back to the normal width. I think that would give you clearance and a differant look as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    lower the lights.com[image.jpg

ATTACH=CONFIG]22202[/ATTACH]

chuck
    Chuck

Mk1, MK3, Hotrod, Gen 3 Daytona Coupe, RF GT40
    Hang Up and Drive

Post Thanks / Like
    ... here is a photo. One solution would have been to buy wheels with a different back spacing and mount the fenders to the other side of the bracket.

Kai
    Hanau/Germany

Post Thanks / Like
    Selling it now ... still not legal in Germany ... just collecting dust (on the car cover) ... great fun to build ... and great fun to drive ... just not over here ...
    Kai
    Hanau/Germany

Post Thanks / Like

Wow what a shock

Quote Originally Posted by Kai-Rod View Post
    Selling it now ... still not legal in Germany ... just collecting dust (on the car cover) ... great fun to build ... and great fun to drive ... just not over here ...
    Kai , just logged in and had followed your build with great interest, when I finally got to the end I see this abt you selling it! I have an idea, you can move over here to Hunting Beach!im sure you will have plenty of friends both here and ones who will visit you over here! We hear you guys are getting a lot of new people over there😉so you probably won't have trouble selling your house,lol anyway, I'm sure you would be welcome here, plenty of Fords here! Fi 427

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123