FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coyote - Where to put the computer?

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote - Where to put the computer?

Good morning,

The Coyote should arrive next week (Coming from Forte's) with TKO600/Mid-Shift. I've been trying to picture where all the ancillary pieces will go, and am a bit stuck trying to imagine where best to put the Coyote Computer. I'm putting in the FF Heater, and have the Firewall forward kit installed today so have a reasonable amount of room behind the dash, but am not sure that will work. Can I get some suggestions and pictures of what others are doing? Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    In reviewing the Coyote Instructions from FF, they indicate that the Coyote computer can be installed above the passenger side foot box on an aluminum plate. While I can see that this should be out of the elements, is there a better spot that anyone can suggest that might be better protected?

Post Thanks / Like
    I built that Coyote car in the pics, with the heater there is really no room for it behind the dash. Without the heater there would be plenty of room. Where it is located above the footbox works well and the wires from the control pack fit without modification.

I am interested to hear others thoughts on another location.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63

Post Thanks / Like
    Put mine above the passenger footbox. I also learned that the harness used in 2011+ Mustangs is different than the crate motor harness. The crate motor harness is significantly longer allowing you to mount the computer in the firewall.

MK3.1 #7076 - Under Construction....
    Coyote 5.0/Solid 8.8/Tremec 3650
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering
    05-09 T3650 in a Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. The pictures help a bunch, and seeing that you guys have actually run the computer over the footbox makes me feel better about that options as well. Since you guys have been through this rodeo already, are there any "hints" on the installation of the Coyote, or with the wiring in particular that would be worth sharing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If you don't mind the extra work, it is definitely worth a few hours time to modify the harness a little. You don't have to cut or solder any wires, but you can strip off the loom and change where the branches start. That lets you neaten things up quite a bit. The only wires I extended were for the O2 sensors.
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

More Pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonS197 View Post
    Put mine above the passenger footbox. I also learned that the harness used in 2011+ Mustangs is different than the crate motor harness. The crate motor harness is significantly longer allowing you to mount the computer in the firewall.

Would you mind sharing some more pictures of the engine compartment with the Coyote installed? Seeing how you've run the wiring harness and installed the other parts is really helpful. Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    I put the computer on the PS in front of the down tube - (in front of the location of the computer in the previous post). I also mounter the computer vertically which reduces the vibration stress on the mount brackets (fabricated a computer mount box to enclose and protect the computer) Clean mount - only needed to address the O2 sensors extension as per the FFR instructions

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    I put the computer on the PS in front of the down tube - (in front of the location of the computer in the previous post). I also mounter the computer vertically which reduces the vibration stress on the mount brackets (fabricated a computer mount box to enclose and protect the computer) Clean mount - only needed to address the O2 sensors extension as per the FFR instructions
    Jester, I like the sound of what you've done. Any chance you have a photo or two you could share? I also think building a mounting box makes a ton of sense. I was surprised that the computer would be left in the engine compartment without more protection in some of the other builds, though obviously it must not be the issue I was thinking it would. Still, I like the idea of a box and would appreciate seeing what your end product looks like. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    will do - I will post later this weekend

Post Thanks / Like
    Subscribing

Post Thanks / Like
    Slider

I will try post photos letter this week (when time allows)

A few considerations re location of computer:
    1) access for maintenance / re-tune
    2) stability & vibration
    3) protection from the elements
    4) wiring harness routing
    5) impact on other panels and frame tubes (elephant ears / foot box etc)
    6) visual

The location I have chosen addresses items 2, 3, 4 & 6 but may not be the easiest to access if a re- tune is needed and the elephant ear on the PS required a slight mod for proper figment

Engine compartment is very clean though - wiring looks very clean and the mount is very stable & protected from the elements

I suggest trying various locations and selecting the location that best suits your needs. Additional thought and consideration may prove to be very well spent in the long run - don't rush the process.

I have the photos but they are hi definition and require manipulation before posting (which is a bit of a pain)

Post Thanks / Like
    Jester, thanks for the points to consider. All very relevant... I was concerned in particular about #1, but thought that there might be a way to build a bracket that would allow one to remove the computer if needed without having to remove the body. Once the Coyote arrives I'll be able to play with that thought a little more.

The other idea I had is that even though I am putting in a heater, I did purchase the Firewall forward kit which gives me extra room behind the dash. I was wondering if there was any reason I couldn't put the computer through the firewall as is shown in the FF manual, but rather than putting it on the passenger side (Where the heater box goes) to install it in the center to driver side of the firewall. I don't (at this point) know how much room it would take up between the firewall and the dash, but with that extension kit (Firewall foward kit), and the skinny guages, am thinking that there might be room. Is there any reason that you can think of that this wouldn't work? (again this all might be a very silly question once I see the computer for myself)

Post Thanks / Like
    Slider

You should be able to do as you suggest depending where you mount the black box, the fuel regulator and the master cylinders (to provide room behind the firewall). This location may require removing the split loom from the harness which I was not comfortable with initially - don't be concerned with removing the split loom as it is required to allow proper connection of the O2 sensors. If I had done this first, I may have chosen a similar location as you have suggested. This will also require temporarily installing the motor to allow proper placement of all wiring harness connections.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it".

Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the picture of the computer in the center of the firewall. I like that idea. One question, and I'll probably figure it out after I hit "post" or slap myself in the forward after you reply for not knowing this upfront, but what is the unit you've got mounted to the passenger side of the computer? I don't have my control pack for the Coyote yet, so maybe it's something related...

Factory Five Distributor Hammink Performance's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Distributor of Factory Five for Europe
    www.hamminkperformance.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Slider, don't know if you ever got your answer about oldguy668's picture, but that is an ISIS power cell for their wiring management kit.

Nice looking installs guys!