Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 818 Donor Kits; Donor Beta Program Open To Participants

Post Thanks / Like
    What's the wheel size on that 818s?

Post Thanks / Like
    If y'all don't mind me asking but what participant are y'all at?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just selected my donor (I'm number 3 on the list). So, it's slowly but surely making it's way down the list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ehuwe View Post
    I just selected my donor (I'm number 3 on the list). So, it's slowly but surely making it's way down the list.
    !

Post Thanks / Like
    We are getting there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Couple STi shortblocks showed up last week for some donor kits we are making for customers

Post Thanks / Like
    Any body ever get there donor kit yet. What did you receive and how much was it. What's the condition of the parts and mileage.

Post Thanks / Like
    The beta donor kits are in the process of getting ready to ship, we hope to get 3 out before Jan 1.
    They range from 5,000.00- 15,000.00 depending on features
    0 miles (new motors) to 130,000 miles+

All depends on what your goals and budget are of course

Post Thanks / Like
    A blog Tim wrote on motor builds yesterday-

http://818donors.com/general/buildin...-for-your-818/

Post Thanks / Like
    Finishing up a motor today. New STi short block mated up with some re done heads held together with ARP studs.

Donor crates came today too!

Post Thanks / Like
    I made my choice for a low mileage motor to avoid a rebuild but damn that does looks sweet!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you,
    Feel free to come by and check out our operation if you are ever in the area!

- Andrew

Post Thanks / Like
    just a question, you advertize turn key 818's, but i looked and didn't see a price... or a ballpark.

so, for me (well, a baseline for me) and anyone else looking, WHAT do you EXPECT the cost to be for a turn key, Base WRX.... no aftermarket upgrades.

Post Thanks / Like
    Our products do not have standardized pricing due to the nature of the donors we source to make into donor kit pallets.
    Last edited by AJW Performance; 12-04-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wiring prep for a donor we are finishing up this week!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AJW Performance View Post
    Wiring prep for a donor we are finishing up this week!
    Well, that looks encouraging!! All nice and cleaned up....... May I assume that there will also be extensive labeling?

Post Thanks / Like
    Silvertop, all components are labeled.

Today we pack a crate

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Can you describe the treatment the wiring harness gets from you guys?
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Andrew, quick! . . . check the guy driving the forklift. He's slumped forward! Is he okay?
    Pete
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't think anyone has invented see thru forklifts.

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL he is ok!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Off to Texas!

Post Thanks / Like
    Time for some Supertech cams/springs on Silvertop's Outback Sport

Post Thanks / Like
    Likin' it

Post Thanks / Like
    Installed

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AJW Performance View Post
    Installed

That's great!!!

Now, if I can just figure out a way to trick my ECU into allowing enough additional RPM to let the new cam and heavy duty springs do their work......... What RPM does the stock ECU limit me to, anyways?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvertop View Post
    That's great!!!

Now, if I can just figure out a way to trick my ECU into allowing enough additional RPM to let the new cam and heavy duty springs do their work......... What RPM does the stock ECU limit me to, anyways?
    I believe 7250 on the 2.0 motor and 6750 on the 2.5 liter. You can modify that with a reflash via open source software or Cobb AccessPort.

Edit: I should rephrase that to 250rpm over redline. STi 2.5 engines have a 7k redline, so 7250 rev limiter like the 2.0 liter WRX motor.
    Last edited by Evan78; 01-23-2013 at 04:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan78 View Post
    I believe 7250 on the 2.0 motor and 6750 on the 2.5 liter. You can modify that with a reflash via open source software or Cobb AccessPort.

Edit: I should rephrase that to 250rpm over redline. STi 2.5 engines have a 7k redline, so 7250 rev limiter like the 2.0 liter WRX motor.
    So the 6750 redline that my Outback Sport NA 2.5 engine probably has means that it will rev to 7000 before the rev limiter cuts in?

Regarding ECU reflash: From everything I've been able to gather, there currently is no open source tuning software available for the NA 2.5 ECU. And I'm not at all sure that Cobb currently offers it either. Crawford Performance once offered ECU reflashes for NA's,but quit doing it within the last year. It is my understanding that they sold the software, to Cobb I think, but I don't believe that Cobb is doing anything with it. I'd be very happy if someone can tell me with certainty that I am wrong.

As far as I know, the only currently available ECU tuning for NA applications involves the use of expensive add-on stand-alone ECU's or piggy back units, also expensive. Again, I'd rather be wrong about this. If somebody could point me at a specific vendor who can help me with this issue, I'd be most pleased.
    Last edited by Silvertop; 01-23-2013 at 04:47 PM. Reason: grammar

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello SilverTop,

Upon much investigation and speaking with our tuner, there isnt anything available for open source. For some reason the 04 is untuneable via RomRaider. Some Outbacks can be tuned (as seen on www.romraider.com). Cobb no longer supports NA applications as stated above and Crawford is in the same boat.

The options are standalone systems which do carry a hefty price tag (1600-2000+). We will continue to work on this and our tuner will look at some other options on this for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Can you describe the treatment the wiring harness gets from you guys?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim@ajwperformance View Post
    Hello SilverTop,

Upon much investigation and speaking with our tuner, there isnt anything available for open source. For some reason the 04 is untuneable via RomRaider. Some Outbacks can be tuned (as seen on www.romraider.com). Cobb no longer supports NA applications as stated above and Crawford is in the same boat.

The options are standalone systems which do carry a hefty price tag (1600-2000+). We will continue to work on this and our tuner will look at some other options on this for you.
    Thanks for the comeback. You pretty much confirm what I already knew, and what Andrew told me a few weeks back. I'm not going to spend big $ on an aftermarket standalone ECU, particularly since NA applications do not get bucketfuls of added HP from a tune anyways, at least as compared to a turbo application. My only concern is running out of RPM's while there is still significant horsepower available to be made from the cam, springs, pulleys, air intake, and exhaust mods that are being added.

I don't really know what the horsepower and torque curves are supposed to look like using the particular Techworks "Stage II" Cam and Spring setup we have selected. In all likelihood, 7000 RPM will be all that I need to utilize all of the available power. If that is the case, it is really no big deal. But do keep looking! The fact is that Crawford DID have the software, and somebody probably still has it now! Or perhaps there is some way to defeat or change the rev limiter function without doing a tune.

Post Thanks / Like
    So the 6750 redline that my Outback Sport NA 2.5 engine probably has means that it will rev to 7000 before the rev limiter cuts in?

Regarding ECU reflash: From everything I've been able to gather, there currently is no open source tuning software available for the NA 2.5 ECU. And I'm not at all sure that Cobb currently offers it either. Crawford Performance once offered ECU reflashes for NA's,but quit doing it within the last year. It is my understanding that they sold the software, to Cobb I think, but I don't believe that Cobb is doing anything with it. I'd be very happy if someone can tell me with certainty that I am wrong.

As far as I know, the only currently available ECU tuning for NA applications involves the use of expensive add-on stand-alone ECU's or piggy back units, also expensive. Again, I'd rather be wrong about this. If somebody could point me at a specific vendor who can help me with this issue, I'd be most pleased.
    I didn't even think about non-turbo applications since I'm so used to only dealing with the turbo models. I didn't know the NA 2.5 has a 6750 redline, but I would expect the same logic on the rev limiter. I have no idea what options are available for NA reflashes, but it looks like Tim has already covered that one.

I know Megasquirt (and probably Microsquirt) are popular for turbo Miata setups in both piggyback and stand alone configurations. I can't say how they compare to other aftermarket options or a Subaru ECU, but that might be worth investigating if you're looking for something inexpensive for a non-turbo Subaru setup.
    Last edited by Evan78; 01-24-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Little facelift for this older 02 kit

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys,

Just realized we had 2 questions about wiring harnesses and 0 responses on our end....

At this time, we are carefully rolling them up. Ensuring there is no damage to any connector, individual wire etc before sending out. Until the final wiring diagram is available we will be sending these as full harnesses. Once we get one in and actually wire a car up we will then begin sending harnesses that are cleaned up (eliminate un-needed connectors) for final installation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim@ajwperformance View Post
    Hey guys,

Just realized we had 2 questions about wiring harnesses and 0 responses on our end....

At this time, we are carefully rolling them up. Ensuring there is no damage to any connector, individual wire etc before sending out. Until the final wiring diagram is available we will be sending these as full harnesses. Once we get one in and actually wire a car up we will then begin sending harnesses that are cleaned up (eliminate un-needed connectors) for final installation.
    Awesome... thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a problem

Post Thanks / Like
    My 04 NA donor pallet showed up in my driveway today. Driver backed up the truck and offloaded both crates directly into my garage. Nice crates, btw -- What did they cost, I wonder?

Donor pallets initially showed up yesterday, but they were aboard a tractor-trailer rig, and they couldn't negotiate the tight spaces on the dirt road I live on. They reloaded the crates onto a straight-axle truck and came back today. Driver earned a nice tip............

An update for other 818 builders going NA: I have found a source for NA reflashes. If your donor is a 1999-02 NA Impreza, or an 05 to current Impreza, the fellow who designed the no-longer available off-the-shelf Crawford reflashes is now off on his own, and can provide a mail-order tune. Those (like me) who have an 03- or 04- based donor are out of luck. These ECU's are not currently tunable, though he is working on it. However, there is a piggyback ECU available which incorporates several built-in maps. If it is not prohibitively expensive, that should be my solution. I have not yet been successful in contacting the vendor, so we shall see.. I think he is a very busy fellow.

Check out www.delicioustuning.com.

The fun begins NOW!

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad everything arrived safe and sound before your trip Silvertop!
    Enjoy, keep us posted on your progress.

Post Thanks / Like
    ...... Those (like me) who have an 03- or 04- based donor are out of luck. These ECU's are not currently tunable, ........
    As a (somewhat educated) *guess* off the top of my head, I would think that the ECU pinouts on the '03-'04 ECUs are close to either the earlier or later ones. Subaru doesn't generally make quick back-to-back changes like that. They usually phase in a bit slowly. Swapping to one of those ECUs -that can be tuned- , may turn out to be a fairly easy proposition.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast