BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Development & Engineering Images on Factory Five Website

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to say, I think the new red rendering with the city backdrop looks awesome! I don't know if it's just a higher viewing angle, or if FFR made design changes (looks like it when compared to the 818R) but the front looks much lower and shorter which really gives it that mid-engine sports car look it was missing. I think it has a lot of potential and I can't wait to see more angles and the real car.

Well done Dave and the Team and sorry i was a naysayer, you guys know what you are doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shinn497 View Post
    But you don't understand....

Offset is everything. Haters can't handle.
    Yeah and neither can ball joints.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shim2 View Post

The rear looks like a f355 and the front isn't getting any better. It looked better in blue and white. I was a bit on the fence but seeing the front in solid red, it just doesn't look good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good to me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, I mean the first time I saw the $10,000 price tag, I wasn't expecting it to come with a body at all. This looks like a hell of a deal to me. I'm really curious about the color offerings and how the surface finish will be on the panels. I am definitely excited to not have to do bodywork, not a fan.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/idothingsquickly/videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting these pictures looking at the left rear of both the black convertible and black and blue 818. I'm wondering if the hardtop roof is removable. Even if not, the shape is really neat looking. This car is going to be great... Affordable, stylish and excellent performance with a weight of 1800 lbs! Simply awesomeness again from Factory Five.
    Last edited by tcarlson; 07-19-2012 at 12:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    tcarlson, those are pics from concept models. They have in no way been confirmed for the current debut model.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFR-ADV View Post
    That Molten Gold is so hot!!!

And I have always liked blue. Choosing color is going to be dificult. I may need to get three. LOL

Thanks for doing those colorations.
    Only problem with that color ie. gold is having to drive around with your hat sideways. On the good part, you will get all the attention that you ever wanted.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking Portugese Orange... Matches my 1975 Yamaha RD350B two stroke... very visable... close to an old GM orange engine paint...

Post Thanks / Like
    Long time no post.

Love it from the widow back...

I think it looks better in blue and white. The stickers and white stripe mitigated some of the issues of the front looking so uninspired.

In my opinion the front looks tacky/awful but time will tell.

Maybe better renderings, seeing it in the flesh etc.
    __________________________________________________ _____________

That man is no fool, who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Post Thanks / Like
    After watching this project unfold since its inception, I'm now going to say "thank-you, but no thank-you". This is still the best kit car company in the world, and I will go back to looking at the MkIV as my upcoming project car. I just cannot warm to the front end of the 818 as designed. I'm really trying not to be petty, but I have to like it if I'm paying the money. Maybe there'll be a version I'll like later in the product development, and thanks for the excitement this past 18 or so months.
    TK

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockraven View Post
    After watching this project unfold since its inception, I'm now going to say "thank-you, but no thank-you". This is still the best kit car company in the world, and I will go back to looking at the MkIV as my upcoming project car. I just cannot warm to the front end of the 818 as designed. I'm really trying not to be petty, but I have to like it if I'm paying the money. Maybe there'll be a version I'll like later in the product development, and thanks for the excitement this past 18 or so months.
    TK
    Just remember, these are just renderings. We won't see the final product until SEMA. We might be pleasantly surprised. I, for one, am currently a fan. Keep up the great work Dave!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2006 WRB 818 View Post
    Just remember, these are just renderings. We won't see the final product until SEMA. We might be pleasantly surprised. I, for one, am currently a fan. Keep up the great work Dave!
    I'm still a massive fan of FFR... have been since they first began some 17 years ago, and I still plan to build one of their products. I realize there'll be more versions of the 818, so I'm still optimistic. Looking forward to SEMA.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the looks of the red car. I don't think it's "hair-on-fire" but I'm more interested in what's under the skin. Besides (and as mentioned just a few posts above) this is just a rendering. I'll reserve my judgement of "like it" or "love it" until I can see the final shape in person.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockraven View Post
    TK
    I with you on this one, I really hope they tweek it because something just dosn't look right. It looks abit too much like the Toyota MRS, which isnt a bad thing, but I hope it gets more of an aggresive look to it. THis waiting around is killing me! Walking Dead, Sons of Anachy and sema show...

Post Thanks / Like
    i'm assuming the scoop/vent in the back on top are for the intercooler. anyone else feel it's not a big enough scoop to get a good amount of air in? I couldd be wrong. however it would be nice if it looked like the one off a Ferrari Challenge Stradale

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfheadfilms/142164298/

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it's the right size, any bigger and I think it would look funny. Pretty confident FFR is going to knock this one out of the park.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    i'm assuming the scoop/vent in the back on top are for the intercooler. anyone else feel it's not a big enough scoop to get a good amount of air in? I couldd be wrong. however it would be nice if it looked like the one off a Ferrari Challenge Stradale

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wolfheadfilms/142164298/
    I was a bit curious about that myself as well. Not sure exactly how they plan on routing enough air to the I/C.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/idothingsquickly/videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bobzdar View Post
    The rear looks like a f355 and the front isn't getting any better. It looked better in blue and white. I was a bit on the fence but seeing the front in solid red, it just doesn't look good.
    If you don't like the front, when you build it modify-modify-modify. The best part of building FFR Cars is the ability to come up with mods as you go through the build process. I definitely plan to mod the heck out of mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm thinking of adding real windows to mine. If money allows it maybe a folding soft top.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking the same thing. I want to find a way to mount the window motor and railing and then bam got a power window.
    looking into maybe lexan if I can but probably gonna have to take a coup window and cut to fit. not sure the process yet but something for future at least

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwizatz-haderah View Post
    If you don't like the front, when you build it modify-modify-modify. The best part of building FFR Cars is the ability to come up with mods as you go through the build process. I definitely plan to mod the heck out of mine.
    Yes, but then you lose the no-paint option. A compelling part of what makes the 818 so appealing for many.

Post Thanks / Like
    The white/blue car's front end just doesn't look good. It reminds me of a later-2nd-gen Hyundai Tiberon. The red car with the 06-07 WRX headlights looks far better IMO, and I kind of like the white rendering that has a 99+ RX-7 look to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I like the overall design of the car. The front could be more lotus/Porsche looking with more air vents like the red scale FFR model, but it looks good enough to take home as is. The rest of the car is very well designed so I give it a 92 out of 100. I think air is coming in behind the seats and coming out that vent above the rear lights.

Post Thanks / Like
    Still not feeling the front end, actually even less then the blue white version. That is why I plan on going black. I think it will look badass in black.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sam here, I'm thinking of adding some chrome flames along the side of the car

Post Thanks / Like
    Needs more front ducting for brake and oil cooling

Post Thanks / Like
    ^ why would you bring oil to the front of the car? also I think its guna be hard to cook a decent brake pad in this car.
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Post Thanks / Like
    The more views of the car I see, the more I like it. I like the fact it more hints at being exotic, rather than screaming it and being all in your face about it. I trust FFR knows what they are doing when it comes to ducts, vents, and the like (as far as function goes; aesthetics is subjective). They didn't become the #1 kit car manufacturer by being dopes...

Post Thanks / Like
    You don't need oil cooling. I can't honestly see a reason other than cool factor.

Post Thanks / Like
    You don't need oil cooling. I can't honestly see a reason other than cool factor.
    That depends on what the use is. For a track car oil cooling is very important. Especially when the radiator is so far away from the engine. A stock 08+ STi can overheat the engine on the track with a good enough driver.

Post Thanks / Like
    What does the radiator have to do with engine oil?

With the radiator far away from the engine it helps the coolant cool down. Look at the MK2 MR2. Same design, radiator up front engine in the back. Never had problems with overheating, ever.

Yes a stock STI can overheat because everything is crammed in one spot. 818 completely changes that. I can guarantee you an oil cooler is 100% unnecessary. Keep in mind you do want some temperature in the engine oil for it to properly lubricate.
    Last edited by shim2; 07-26-2012 at 12:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The STI has a stock oil-to-water heat exchanger. I believe most WRXs do also. That should keep oil temps under control as long as water temps are.

I also think that many folks are expressing recommendations and thoughts based on WRX/STI experience and tend to forget that the 818 is at least 800 pounds lighter.

Post Thanks / Like
    What does the radiator have to do with engine oil?

With the radiator far away from the engine it helps the coolant cool down. Look at the MK2 MR2. Same design, radiator up front engine in the back. Never had problems with overheating, ever.

Yes a stock STI can overheat because everything is crammed in one spot. 818 completely changes that. I can guarantee you an oil cooler is 100% unnecessary. Keep in mind you do want some temperature in the engine oil for it to properly lubricate.
    It has more water to push with more elbows putting a strain IMO. There's a massive difference from cruising to constantly being WOT for half an hour.

It's also kind of foolish to say cause the MR2 had this there's no problem. Stock 05-07 STis tend not to have an overheating problem with fair weather on the track and that's having a near identical setup to the 08+. The radiator on the 08's is the actual problem for overheating. Then when you crank up the power you are definitely going to have cooling issues as EJs run very hot. They are extremely hard to keep cool at higher HP on the track.

What does having everything crammed in 1 spot even mean? Know what changes the 818 would bring? No air passing through the engine compartment. Just a little air ontop for the intercooler but nothing else. How does this help in anyway to cool it? If anything I can see it being harder to keep an 818 cooled since it's engine compartment might as well be a partially opened oven.

If the car is not going to see any track time then I agree a cooler is worthless. It will not be worthless for the track junkies and is very misleading to say it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    The STI has a stock oil-to-water heat exchanger. I believe most WRXs do also. That should keep oil temps under control as long as water temps are.

I also think that many folks are expressing recommendations and thoughts based on WRX/STI experience and tend to forget that the 818 is at least 800 pounds lighter.
    Like you just said, it's a heat exchanger, not a cooler. That has absolutely no cooling function at all and is suppose to help with oil warm up from a cold start. Past that it does nothing and most people actually take it off when they use a real oil cooler since they don't want it warming up the oil they just cooled.

And regardless of the weight, it's still a subaru engine and it will not act any differently if it was a subaru car, kit car or chainsaw motor. Are we really gonna open a can of worms that now the engine will have less strain due to weight too now? Cmon...

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not a fan of oil/water heat exchangers, most are tied to the radiator so if one temp starts to take off, it takes the other with it. I've seen the difference an oil cooler makes on cars lighter than this, hell, most sport bikes have an oil cooler. Not that I need the back up, but Porsche runs oil coolers on the front of the car as well.

Regarding brake cooling, for street and auto-x, no they aren't needed. But on any serious track session, if you drive aggressively enough you can cook the brakes. I'd rather have the option to add it rather than have to cut the front of the car up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Etos View Post
    It has more water to push with more elbows putting a strain IMO. ...
    Not really, if you you were incresing the head on the pump that would certainly stress it. Pushing some more coolant laterally shouldn't be more than a belt driven impeller can handle easily.
    Grnated there will indeed be increased load but I doubt another gallon or 2 is gonna slow the flow rate at all either.
    Last edited by Niburu; 07-26-2012 at 12:41 PM.
    2011 Subaru Forester - the DD - uber rare 5spd manual
    1990 Miata - Track Rat, autocrossing cheap POS - love it
    2018 Factory 5 Racing 818 Hardtop Coupe - preapproved by the wife

Post Thanks / Like
    What does having everything crammed in 1 spot even mean? Know what changes the 818 would bring? No air passing through the engine compartment. Just a little air ontop for the intercooler but nothing else. How does this help in anyway to cool it? If anything I can see it being harder to keep an 818 cooled since it's engine compartment might as well be a partially opened oven.
    I refer to the mr2 because it's fairly similar in design. Liquid cooled engines don't need air flowing over them to help them cool There are no fins on liquid cooled engines so having air flow over them is a bit redundant. Coolant displaces the heat in liquid cooled engines not air. Just about every mid engine car ever made has the radiator up front and the engine in the back. Last time I checked they really don't have cooling issues. What you're saying is a flat 4 will be harder to cool than a flat 6 twin turbo Porsche engine? Keep in mind the 993tt was air cooled and that car would have to sit in traffic at a dead stop for 30+ minutes before it would overheat.

Everything crammed in one spot, meaning FR Radiator is up with the engine. The hot air coming off the radiator cooling the coolant just goes in and around the compartment. Whereas with MR you have the radiator up front and the engine in the back. By time the coolant gets to the radiator it's already tons cooler and when it circles back to the engine it's very cool, I'm 100% sure it's cooler than the temp on the WRX would be. I don't see how you can't compare the 818 to the MR2 in this sense. It's almost the exact same design.
    Last edited by shim2; 07-26-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by el_jefe View Post
    Not that I need the back up, but Porsche runs oil coolers on the front of the car as well.
    Porsche also ran air cooled engines in the back of cars well into the mid 90s......

in any case, you should not be adding an additional oil cooler unless you are also monitoring oil temp (and find it to be getting too high), if your oil is too cool, you will actually increase wear and decrease performance.

this is why internal heat exchangers are liked by many manufacturers, the water will warm the oil at first and cool it later, the only problem is when the system becomes "overcome" because of its relatively small exchange area, which can happen pretty easily when you are dealing with turbos that are only oil cooled and what not.
    05 Outback XT - DD
    94 Integra GSR - Track Car
    97 Legacy Brighton - EG33 Swap Project
    03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax - Tow Rig
    97 Integra GS - Future Track Car

Post Thanks / Like
    And regardless of the weight, it's still a subaru engine and it will not act any differently if it was a subaru car, kit car or chainsaw motor. Are we really gonna open a can of worms that now the engine will have less strain due to weight too now? Cmon...
    Nope, not saying there is less stress on the motor. I'm saying that you spend less time at WOT in the lighter car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phyrram View Post
    nope, not saying there is less stress on the motor. I'm saying that you spend less time at wot in the lighter car.
    wot?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast