Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welcome from Dave Smith, Factory Five Racing President

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Thanks!

Dave,

At the risk of sounding trite, what can I say: I found you and Mark just after you got started on this awesome adventure we call FFR, and I've been a staunch advocate ever since. Unfortunately for me, financial disaster has once again dashed my dreams of building one of these beauties myself (the Daytona is my first choice). Alas, there is hope as my new employer may be interested in doing a fund raiser based upon auctioning off a car after the build! (Your recommendations in this regard would be very much appreciated.)

I've visited your Wareham facility a few times and met both you and Mark. I've watched this unbelievably positive community evolve, and I've yearned to be a part of it, one way or another. I vow that some how, some way, I will find the key to unlock the door to becoming a contributing member of the FFR experience. I'm a gearhead, plain and simple. It's all I've ever done, and all I care to do. It's my passion and somehow everything always comes back to it one way or another, for me. My wife often say, "Oh, if it's not about a car or an engine, you're not interested!" My response: "And the problem with that is?"

Unfortunately I was not able to do my build with my Dad before he left this place, and it saddens me that I could not share such a great experience with him. I know however that I will vindicate the old saying: "Where there is a will, there is a way!" , and when I do, my Dad will smile down on me as I do smokey donuts in his honor on my car's maiden voyage!

My Dad you see was one of those guys who, although he never had a passion for automobiles like I do, he was mechanically inclined and he did most of his own automotive repairs. (He was a military aerospace designer who actually designed parts for the LEM - Lunar Excursion Module, that was used for the Moonshot). Well in "Holding the Light" for him as he replaced a starter, or did brakes or exhaust, he set the hook in me, for what would ultimately become my passion.

For the past 30+ years I have worked in many technical automotive roles: heavy truck technician, Ford factory field service engineer, an Allison Transmission Certified Technical Training Instructor and so on. Currently I travel the country teaching for NAPA Autotech, which for me means sharing my passion for all things automotive with those I can touch in what I feel is a special way, by helping to make their lives a bit easier when it comes to diagnosing and repairing vehicles. I think of it as getting paid to bench race! Yea, I get paid to share my passion and at the same time I help others put food on the table! It's a great feeling!

So you see, in coming full-circle, I truly admire what you have done with FFR, because in many ways it parallels my passion for sharing all things automotive with those who are jazzed by this wonderful world of high performance automobiles. As Gary Cheney stated in one of the videos, "You give us the canvas" so as our own version of automotive "Arteests", we can paint these beautiful works of automotive art!

The fact that this phenomenal "FFR Community" has developed is the icing on the cake, and in many ways, this is the greatest part of the experience! Although I have not yet been fully dipped in the FFR chocolate, I hope to be before I leave this world, and what a sweet taste it will be!

Thanks Dave for creating, and bringing such a positive and enabling high performance automotive community experience into this world! You are a true example of the power of what one man can do to make a difference, and the automotive world is infinitely better off because of you!

Bravo!

ProfessorGT

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the forum Professor GT. Your passion is similar to many here, enjoy your stay.
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Great first post! Welcome!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Professor GT-

I encourage you to spend some time here as you get nearer your decision. The people here are truly extraordinary, and surprise me often. Their knowledge and willingness to share it, pay it forward, and assist whenever and however they can is unparallelled.

I think you will find your visits here will reveal exactly what I describe, and that you will enjoy coming here and learning and sharing with us as well.

Best of luck as you pursue your dream, and welcome to the community!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Coupe 601 is now on the road

Dave and the Group at FFR. Still sorting out minor things like suspension, but was able to get the Coupe registered in late January. Been to a couple of car shows and everybody liked it. One Lady probably in her mid sixties knew exactly what it represented. Surprised me. Anyway. Thanks for the advice and guidance in the build. WR-Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Smith View Post
    Welcome to TheFactoryFiveForum.com! I want to take a moment to welcome you here and give you an idea of what this place is all about.

More than 100 years ago my Great Grandfather John Smith, like millions of European immigrants, came to America with not much more than a few bags, his new bride, and his skills as a Blacksmith.

Two of my four children, Jennifer and Adam, great-great-grandchildren of John Smith.

John and Francis Smith settled in a small town in the Allegheny mountains of Pennsylvania. He would become the town Blacksmith and they would have six sons, the youngest of whom was my Grandfather Ted Smith.

As a young boy, I was raised listening to the stories that my father would tell of John Smith and his six sons and all their adventures. I remember one story where John Smith was summoned to help a stranded steam engine with a broken turnbuckle. Up in the remote mountains, without many tools, John Smith built a furnace and forged steel bands which he used to wrap bundles of fresh cut trees that were then used to splint the broken shaft... Strong enough to return a locomotive more than 50 miles to the station! Those days people had to innovate solutions, and their motivations were, at times, perhaps more serious. Still, from those stories I learned that we are, in many ways, living and repeating the lives of our those who came before us.

From our family stories, I think my great grandfather was a realistic version of Longfellows poem, "The Village Blacksmith". On Sunday after Mass, his wife would have him open up his shop to let the neighborhood women gather and bake bread in his furnace. The tradition lasted many years and while metal was forged six days a week, friendship and community was formed on the seventh day as folks gathered to bake bread and enjoy each others company. John Smith was known as a very honest and hard-working man and I enjoy thinking of the modest way he forged friendships in a small town a hundred years ago.

Within a decade or so of the turn of the century, the need for Blacksmiths was already fading. The advent of the Automobile would spell the end of my family's traditional craft, and John Smith would tell his sons to seek other paths. Other than the name SMITH, the trade would be left behind for a three generations.

When my brother and I started Factory Five Racing in 1995, it was my father who reminded us that we were returning to our family tradition of Blacksmithing. The tools were different for sure... The bellows and furnace were now CNC cut steel and MIG welding machines... But Blacksmiths we were once again!

There are many parallels about what we do at Factory Five Racing, and what our Great Grandfather did a hundred years ago.

The fact that it was the Automobile which spelled the end of our family craft that had endured for so many generations, would be the very thing that would return Smith boys to the Smithing... That was one thing.

The community is another shared aspect of what we do. Friendships forged at my great grandfathers Blacksmith shop a hundred years ago, were made the same way we make them today, and this on-line forum is indeed an extension of that same fellowship and community. We work hard, no doubt, but just as important is the way in which we work.

As you get to know Factory Five, the most amazing part of the company is the community we've built and the stories shared by so many. There's something special about building your own car and often times, the stories you make along the way become more important than the amazing car you built.

On behalf of the families, customers, suppliers, vendors, and friends of Factory Five Racing, I want to extend to you a warm welcome. Bring your stories, traditions, and skills and be ready to gather every now and then, between our work, to forge frienships and community.

Dave Smith
    President

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,
    We met you and your brother back in the late 90's when we visited the factory in Wareham. We purchased one of your carbon fiber bodies and built it ourselves. All new parts, no donor. We did everything except the paint, helped a friend (sanding) who had a paint booth to paint it. Now I am 80 years old and having some medical problems, so need to find a new owner for my car. We love it but it is time to pass it on. It was a winner at Run and Gun for several years. Only has 15,000 plus miles looks great. So glad your company is going strong. We would have purchased a "real" Cobra back in 64 but couldn't afford the insurance.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm new to the Factory Five scene, but I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Thanks for building such beautiful kits. I cant wait to jump in and get started on my first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I'm new to the forum. Was already on the FFR e-mail list and started looking for a change and to maybe get into a Cobra. Spoke to some friends who built one and they suggested that I join the forum. Good place to learn a lot about the cars. I didn't realize how big the FFR culture had gotten though. Nice to see.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What started as a side trip, to visit a tiny company, in the corner of what looked like an old manufacturing complex, south of Boston, back in 1995, is still a trip that has not ended! I had seen the ads for their car built from a side hit late model mustang. I had not done much research, but I had done well with a 401k so on a whim cashed some of it out and bought the assembly manual from some girl in a crowded office. I had just wanted to be sure this was a real company and not just an ad with no real"stuff" behind the ad. I ordered the "kit", and then called one of the suggested local salvage yards. About a week later I drive over to a NH salvage yard to pickup the parts, using the check list I was given, for all the donor parts needed. And they loaded it all into the back of my little Toyota pickup. The donor parts were all laid out upstairs in the huge carriage house building behind the house up in Maine. Piece by piece they were cleaned and painted. Then the call came that my"kit" was ready for pickup. My son and I went down to the local U-Haul dealer and rented an auto hauler trailer.

The night before we bolted sheets of 3/8 inch plywood to the hauler to form a basic flatbed trailer. We drilled holes in the plywood and placed large wing nuts at the end of bolts with the wing on the nut hooked to the metal rails. By tightening up the bolt it drew the wing nut up tight to the trailer rails. We had made a flat bed frame hauler! Hooked it up to the little Toyota pickup and left early Saturday morning to pick up"our" kit. Mark Smith happened to be the meet and greeter when we arrived to pick up our parts. We loaded up went over the check list, the parts on back order, and we headed back home to Maine. After unloaded we drove over to the U-Haul drop offlocation. I made the turn out of the driveway and about 300 feet down the street I heard a loud bang and saw one of the U-Haul trailer tires roll off into a yard. The bearing had come apart and the wheel, brake hub, with most of the brake assembly, were now lying about 200 feet away in the neighbor’s yard. And so began our adventure.

I ran a phone line out to the carriage house to allow me to work while building the car. I did computer support for a software system. Back then we picked up the kit, parts were on back order. Thus over the next few months you would arrive home to find a box with a FFR logo on it, with your back ordered parts. On the forums there was much discussion about back ordered parts. Some wanted all the parts when they picked up their kit. I think they missed out on the joy of at least once a week finding a box at their door filled with magical parts! It was like a birthday and Christmas all wrapped up in those boxes.

My wife and I took in special needs children at our house. Nothing broke through to them quicker than to be in the old carriage house, seeing a car being built. Countless questions “what’s that”, “what is it used for”, etc were asked by each child. And the boxes that arrived each week were pointed out when I would arrive back home – “You have another box”, followed by “what’s inside it”. The opening of the back ordered boxes became the magical event in their lives too.

Finally the car was ready to be on the road.
    A local Maine State Trooper came by to inspect for all the parts I was building the car from. Matching them to the receipt I had from the salvage yard. A few weeks later he came back to rivet the vin plate on the frame. A visit to motor vehicles got the car registered and a set of plates. The first day I pulled the fully assembled and freshly painted car out of the carriage house garage, I did not adjust well on the passenger side, caught the flair on the rear wheel on the side of the door frame! The fiberglass gave, buckled, but never broke. Instead I now has a set of horizontal cracks in the clear coat on the right rear fender. And they are still there to this day. I got over it and no longer worried about paint chips.

I do have a lot of open road miles on my car now and especially the front of the car looks rather "battered" from all the stone chips I've picked up along the highways and tracks I've raced on. Over the years I have rebuilt most every mechanical part

1. Cooling system - old Mustang radiator replaced with custom Aluminum after the Mustang radiator started to leak
    2. front and rear suspension second set of ball joints and newer style control arms
    3. old Mustang springs converted to now Koni Coil overs
    4. Engine - rebuilt as supercharged EFI then pulled it and switched to carburetor on top of a 347 cu inengine,
    5. Transmission rebuilt
    6. brakes still have the mustang ones in front but the rears are now disk brakes.
    7. Carbon fiber doors and trunk have replaced the old Mark I doors and trunk.
    8. Rear end has been rebuilt about 10 times as the clutch disks get worn from track events.
    9. Am on my fourth set of side pipes - both from use and the bracket holding the middle of the side pipes up welds weakened and split the pipe. This new set of SS side pipes has the newer design bracket which seems to work way better.
    10. the third set of gauges are in the dash now, that was two sets of converted Mustang gauges and now the Autometer gauges.
    11. Three of the original FFR soft tops have been on the car - each of the other two the front center slowly tore apart overtime. This top is not long for the car as the "nail head" that fits in the top of the windscreen frame pops out of the frame often. These are NOT the Whitby tops that FFR sells but pre date them! Geezz…that sounds really old now!

After all this, I have considered what to do ... I still work for companies fixing their website systems.
    So … what do I do with the ol’Mark I that has carried me so many miles and is a fixture in the family. I have a granddaughter that proudly will tell anyone at any carshow that she has a blue cobra that her grandfather is keeping for her! It will remain in the family and handed on down to other generations. I drive every day to work in it, as well as frequent road trips should I need to visit with family. When I'm driving it, I get to forget about work and just drive as, I can't hear the phone ring - they will just have to wait till I stop for me to notice I missed a call. I get a few moments each day, while I drive when I'd "disconnected" from the devices. It's just me driving, enjoying the view, windnoise, and often the cool air.

It's been now 20 years of meeting people as they peek around the gas pump to see "that car". Conversations that never would have happened except they had to ask about "that car". People at the office come find me to ask is that your car - no description needed.

Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

Post Thanks / Like
    Mr. Button, it is always a pleasure to read your posts. They are always well versed, with a nice point to consider.

It was the fall of 2007 when I learned of Factory Five while walking through a car show at the Charlotte Motor Speedway. I spoke with a couple of people at the Factory Five hauler (Jeff Collins), about the cars. They gave me some brochures for each car, along with a DVD that went into much deeper detail.

In the "bonus" section of the DVD, there were a few "short stories" that really caught my attention; including one called "The Traveler". Seeing you drive across the US with Earl, was simply what building these cars is all about. Then to learn that this was just one of MANY such trips that you had made in your Factory Five Mk-I Roadster, really enforced the knowledge that if we take our time and build these cars right, they can, and should last us through our lives.

Thank you for sharing your stories. I am sure that your Grand-Daughter will treat "her" Factory Five Mk-I, with the same respect that you have.

Take care Sir. And may I be another in a long list to wish you and your family a wonderful Thanksgiving.

As I've said before, if you find yourself in Charlotte, feel free to stop by. The door will always be open for you.

Mike
    Charlotte, NC
    The Stig

Some say, that I only know two facts about ducks, (both being wrong); and that if I could be bothered, I could solve the "da Vinci Code" in 47 seconds...
    All I know is that I'm called "The Stig".
    GTM #0081

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I too got that same DVD and "The Traveler" video sold me on Factory Five.

Though my car is the newer MK-4 model, the inspiration of it becoming by daily driver comes from Sir Ralph Button, Senior Statesman For Factory Five Racing!

While I've had some financial and other issues slow my build, I'm almost there.

Steve // aka: GoDadGo
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-23-2016 at 11:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mr. Button, awesome story. Enjoyed every paragraph. Thanks. Working on my story as we speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mr. Button.......You are truly my hero!! Like you, we've always believed that these cars are made to drive, and whether its a road trip with friends, racing wheel-to-wheel, or just enjoying a great cruise on any winding stretch of road, these cars somehow make the realities of the day-to-day world just fade away with every turn of the wheel.

I extend a warm welcome to anyone considering joining this amazing community. I've owned eight Factory Five's to date, with #9 on the way, and I know you will also soon find that the memories you make, and the friendships forged through our cars, will last a lifetime. Karen

Last edited by vnmsss; 11-23-2016 at 02:59 PM.
    #28 FFR Challenge Series
    #28 FFR Type-65 Coupe
    2011 Western Endurance Racing Championship
    2010 West Coast Champion
    Drive it.....Like you stole it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dave,
    I know I’m somewhat new to the entire Factory Five Racing forum and you don’t know me, yet? So, as my first post, I figure I would introduce myself to you and the FFR community. My name is Doug “Dj” Sandin, and I have been absolutely “awe struck” following over the past decade plus with all the great things coming out of FFR. I’ve been waiting patiently, planning and saving wherever I could over the many years. I would send off for the current FFR informational materials every five years or so, just hoping that one day soon, I too would get my chance to build my own dream car.

Over the years, I have been observing and learning from the various methods of information that are available to anyone. Even these past few months, I’ve been on the Factory Five Forum just taking in all the amazing information and stories of people and they themselves, creating something special in their own way. The Factory Five Forum is a really special place and to be honest – “It’s probably the coolest site on the web!” The people are absolutely amazing, which is a testament to this very thing that encompasses and embodies the Factory Five Family! I have been using the site to prepare for the special day that I would hope would arrive in 2020. That special moment to become an official member of the FFR Family! To join the rest of those who have taken the challenge to build their desired dream car or truck. I mean, that has to be very rare and incredibly special too, to be able to do what your motto says --- I “Built not Bought” my car! I have only begun to yet realize how proud one must feel to live that motto and the moments, which will surely lasts a lifetime.

I want you to know how honored and humbled I am in getting a chance to build one of the very Special 25th Anniversary Mk4 Roadster’s. Everything you and your team put into this model, I fell in love with! The paint theme and color choices, interior design and the wheels! I love the wheels! Not to mention the exhaust change and body mold updates, license plate adjustment and the square tail lights too – It’ just over the top!!! So, I knew I had to expedite my plans and try and possibly get the chance to build and own one. If not, I always had Plan A: Getting a Complete Mk4 Roadster Kit in 2020! And I would have been more than happy with that path too! However, I had to at least try and see if I could possibly expedite my plans. So, with the support of my wife and even the help of FFR themselves in getting my order all set and working with me for which I'm grateful. I will now wait patiently to be hit with an avalanche of emotions and no doubt a ton of joy ahead, since this surely won’t be work building this dream.

So again, thank you! Thanks to all of the FFR Employees who have contributed to its success over the years. I am so ever grateful for the vision you and your brother had to create Factory Five Racing so long ago! No doubt with your current incredible team of employees, you’re able to offer all these various models that are available for any of us to choose from and build. There’s something for everyone!

Thanks for sharing this story about your great grandfather with us as well. What started with the very dream for your great grandfather, who used his valuable skills and played a pivotal and positive role to his local community; It’s also clearly embedded in the very grain of you and your family helping to foster the ongoing tradition for a wonderful community, filled with many, many friendships and family. I also love the notion of allowing others to use the furnace to bake bread and create happiness, giving back to the community and truly building out the extension of the term – Extended Family! And now in a very similar way it was passed down, as you said, stepping back into his role of a Blacksmith and carrying on the tradition in a modern way. Very cool!

You have clearly taken the wheel and drove off into the future, building out Factory Five Racing Company to what it is today. It’s must be very rewarding to see all the hard work and dedication payoff and essentially have gone full circle for you, your family and the entire Factory Five Family too. Job well done! You no doubt have touched many people’s lives over the years and have had positive impact on them as well. Carrying on this tradition to build and foster beautiful supportive communities is obvious with all that FFR is involved with.

Dave, all my life I have dreamed of owning your Mk4 Roadster! The Roadster has always been the “One Car” that puts a smile on my face just looking at it sitting still. I can’t imagine the feeling I will surely have, to finally drive the very thing I built! That has to be an extremely special, live-to-experience-kind-of-moment! I know I will always be honored, humbled and so proud to have built and say that "I own a Factory Five Mk4 Roadster!" Again, thanks to you and your entire team at FFR, for creating, building and allowing any of us to begin with this beautiful foundation. Taking each of our own visions and building something that will transgress time and have positive impact on our own lives and those around us. I can't wait til the day in the future when I drive up and meet you in person and all the rest of those who make up FFR. I wish you nothing but clear roads and all the best to FFR with limitless possibilities of growth and much success in the future…

Sincerely,

Doug “Dj” Sandin

15. Likes Aircontroller, David Hodgkins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ive watched many of your videos on youtube Dave. Great product that you have built ! If it wasn't for you there wouldn't be so much fun in the world ! Thanks you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dave,
    Glad to have found this forum. I signed up for the 2021 February 18 build class. The future will tell if a build is in the cards for me.
    I have a similar family history to yours. My great grand dad owned a wagon shop in Queens NY. I don't need to tell you that the automobile put an end to his shop. A few of his tools were passed down to me. Some of which I still use from time to time. It's an honor to have them.
    Fabrication of one form or another has been in my bones as far back as I can remember. I'm looking forward to my membership here.

George-LI NY

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Dave. I've been a member for a long time but life got in the way. I am the proud owner of kit 2449 born in your facility on December 28th 2000. I have picked up and moved on with construction. In addition to 2449 ,I found and removed all applicable parts fron a 1988 Mustang LX. In keeping with the build manual I intend to keep this MK2 as stock as possible by using original components. Since I purchased the kit , I have relocated to Dover, Delaware from West Greenwich, Rhode Island. I had to partially assemble by installing the front suspension and rear end and put the body back on the frame to get the it on a uhaul car trailer.The rest of the boxes and household goods went in the uhaul truck. I've had the engine completely rebuilt, balanced and blueprinted to 306 ci. I'm working on cleaning and/or restoring the other parts. I need a good body shop in the Delaware are to prep and finish the body. Enough for now. I'll post more as I progress.

19. Likes David Hodgkins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for a great welcome. I look forward to joining your family.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12