Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Filling the FFR tank with ease

Post Thanks / Like

Filling the FFR tank with ease

As we all know the stock tank setup makes it really tough to fill the tank. We've done everything from moving the filler to buying a new tank. I'm no exception. Having read the woes of filling and some solutions by various members, I decided to move the filler to the outside on the bulkhead between the trunk and the back of the cockpit. This gives it a better gravitational position right away. Also, you can drill out the older tank vents at the nipple to increase venting. The newer kits are supposed to come with a larger vent which will decrease back-vapor making the pump stop. Last, but not least, buying the "McCuff" has helped me most when filling. I can fill without stopping now and it reduces spalsh-back. It can be found at www.mccuff.com and it stores underneath my seat easily.

Please share any other input or mods you may have for filling the tank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Which "McCuff" model did you buy?..There are two.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Vtwin cruiser.

Post Thanks / Like
    The FFR gas cap. I was filling car up today, after filling car up I was trying to push down on locking device only to have the center portion of gas cap with the twist portion seperate from flandge mounted on bulkhead of car. It actually pushed inward into the tank area behind seat, seperating from flandged connection on bulkhead. So 33, what do I do now? The two parts should have been welded together or a backup flandge should have been installed on the supplyed part from FFR, no. Could this have been the source of the gas fumes I have been complaining about on forum? Does this now mean that the roof comes off car, the section behind seats comes off, and the windshield also comes off, all this to get at the gas cap connection?

Post Thanks / Like
    WHere is your fuel filler located? On the bulkhead? If yes, you'll need to remove the waterfall. If it's in the trunk you won't. It sounds like you mounted it on the bulkhead like I did which puts it behind the trunk sheet metal which won't come out. The top/roof shouldn't have to come off though but it will make it a lot easier to do it by yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a question... Here is a pic of the tank i recieved. Mine is #495.

Clearly it's been revised (cheers F5) and the parts list describes the supplied vent being larger and higher volume, but I am crazy or am I only ever going to get 1/2 of fuel in this due to the new inlet location?
    IMG_0281.JPGIMG_0280.JPG
    Nick Sebastian - 33 Hot Rod #495
    Factory Five Forums - hdnik
    FFCars - lowntubd

Build Site/Blog - www.nicks33hotrod.com

Post Thanks / Like
    No sweat Nick, there's a filler tube that goes up to the top! So you'll have a tube that runs on the inside of the trunk and some sheet metal that goes around it. Or at least there should be.