Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: coyote neutral safety switch question

Post Thanks / Like

coyote neutral safety switch question

Hi guys, simple question I think.

If I am using the neutral safety switch in the Coyote harness, do I just jumper the ones in the FR harness together?
    Actually it looks like the FR loop ends up going nowhere anyway since the coyote instructions have you cutting the blue wire out of the FR harness on the starter harness bundle.

Sound correct?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    As an electrical engineer, I want to know how a circuit works rather than just how to wire it. For that you need a schematic. I traced out the wires in the Ron Francis harness and the Coyote harness in an effort to reverse engineer the wiring and create usable schematics. Attached below is my best guess as to how the various circuits work and how I interfaced the Coyote wiring.

Unfortunately, the forum software would not allow me to upload a PDF file larger than 19.5kB so I had to convert the file into JPEGs of the individual sheets and attach them one at a time and it would only allow me to attach 10 files but the last sheet is just the keep alive power to the computer. The neutral safety switch is shown on Sheet 11. There are other circuits that you may also find useful to understanding the wiring.

If you want the PDF file I can send it to you as an email attachment.

Wiring Schematics -- Sheet 01.jpgWiring Schematics -- Sheet 03.jpgWiring Schematics -- Sheet 04.jpgWiring Schematics -- Sheet 05.jpgWiring Schematics -- Sheet 06.jpgWiring Schematics -- Sheet 07.jpgWiring Schematics -- Sheet 08.jpgWiring Schematics -- Sheet 09.jpgWiring Schematics -- Sheet 10.jpgWiring Schematics -- Sheet 11.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    After reviewing your power distribution schematic, it appears that the starter solenoid and the distribution point coult be combined into one instead of seperate. Sound correct? I am looking at using the switched side of my Cole Hershey cutoff switch as the combined distribution point in your schematic (with a 10amp keep alive jumper installed)... See any issues with going that route. Thus, it would look like this:

Battery -> Hot side of cutoff switch -> switched side of cutoff switch -> 4 hot feeds in your schematic

(with a 10amp keep alive between the hot and switched sides of the cutoff switch)

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelwwp View Post
    As an electrical engineer, I want to know how a circuit works rather than just how to wire it. For that you need a schematic. I traced out the wires in the Ron Francis harness and the Coyote harness in an effort to reverse engineer the wiring and create usable schematics. Attached below is my best guess as to how the various circuits work and how I interfaced the Coyote wiring.

Unfortunately, the forum software would not allow me to upload a PDF file larger than 19.5kB so I had to convert the file into JPEGs of the individual sheets and attach them one at a time and it would only allow me to attach 10 files but the last sheet is just the keep alive power to the computer. The neutral safety switch is shown on Sheet 11. There are other circuits that you may also find useful to understanding the wiring.

Wiring Schematics -- Sheet 01.jpgWiring Schematics -- Sheet 03.jpgWiring Schematics -- Sheet 04.jpgWiring Schematics -- Sheet 05.jpgWiring Schematics -- Sheet 06.jpgWiring Schematics -- Sheet 07.jpgWiring Schematics -- Sheet 08.jpgWiring Schematics -- Sheet 09.jpgWiring Schematics -- Sheet 10.jpgWiring Schematics -- Sheet 11.jpg
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going the clutch safety switch route for exactly the reason Jester mentions. Just run it through a pedal switch run between the Coyote feed and ground. Still provides the saftey factor but simpler and a little more flexible.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Note: this setup will not allow bump starting if the starter fails as this requires the ability to release the clutch while in gear to start the engine. If this is a requirement - use the clutch safety switch.

If want to use neutral safety switch - the blue/yellow wire (neutral safety Coyote harness) goes to one side of the neutral safety switch on the trans with the other side of the neutral safety switch going to ground.

The lt blue wires on the FR harness (clutch safety switch) are to be shortened and connected together if not using clutch safety switch.

Suggest testing the trans safety switch with a continuity meter and ran the trans through the grears to be sure the switch is functioning properly with continuity in neutral and no continuity while in gear.

With this set-up the engine can not be started while in gear and works as intended.

Good Luck
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow good job on the schematics - will be printing these out for reference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I am interested in the PDF version of the schematics. Sent you a pm with my email address. Would you mind shooting me a copy?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Hazelwwp View Post

Graduation Thread