FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wiring harness

Post Thanks / Like

Wiring harness

How much of the wiring harness has to be used for the engine to run properly? Beside of the computer, engine harness,and gauges. For the rest, headlights, taillights, brakelights, turn signals, wipers, and for some, a/c heat ect. wouldn't it be easier to start from scratch, especialy since the condition of the harness is an unknown?

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was at FFR, I saw the 818 chassis in early June and he wiring harness was a mess. I talked with Dave and them and they said that soon they would tackle the challenge and trim it up a little bit. Using the original harness is completely optional in my opinion. My dad is an electrical engineer and he created a wiring harness just for our HR!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can affordably 3rd party source all the proper ECU, sensor and actuator connectors and pins then fabricating a harness becomes feasable. Until then you will still need a donor harness to physically plug into all the components it take for the motor to run.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    If you can affordably 3rd party source all the proper ECU, sensor and actuator connectors and pins then fabricating a harness becomes feasable. Until then you will still need a donor harness to physically plug into all the components it take for the motor to run.
    Agreed, it is just a lot easier and cheaper to use the Subaru harness, it is not that complicated and is proven to work, why would anyone want to not use it and follow FFR guidance is beyond my comprehension.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^what he said.

I've got decent electrical knowledge, and I'd bet it's far easier to remove the factory harness from the donor and trim it down the factory harness (to just what is needed) than it is to build a custom harness. The factory harness is highly reliable and will ensure compatibility with options or add-ons designed for the Impreza platform. One COULD make their own harness, but I really don't see the advantage.

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure as in the past, the instructions provided by FFR to trim down the harness will be top notch. I imagine it will still require the use of the factory fuse panel (both engine and cabin) but unnecessary circuits will be eliminated.

however the 818 may take the route that the GTM uses which is a painless wiring universal kit for the std stuff lights/turn signals etc and a modified factory harness to run the motor.
    Last edited by longislandwrx; 09-12-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Not to get argumentative (haven't check recent build manuals) but FFR didn't give instructions on how to "diet" the harness except to hook it up, make sure all the essentials worked, and then start removing one circuit at a time checking back that everything still worked (actually pretty good instructions). I think that would be a separte instruction manual to itself.

I agree that a better course would be to go with a new basic body harness and then "diet" the engine harness as needed. On my roadster project that was my plan but when I got into the engine harness, it just didn't look that good (some wires fused together due to age, and generally rough looking condition and feel of the wires). So I got an aftermarket EFI harness as well. That was the best move I have made on the build. I don't know if 818 builders would even have that option. But going with a simplified wiring system is definitely an "anxs" reducer and easier to route during the wiring process. Even with the simplified system, I still have a lot of circuits I have to shorten and deadend but nothing like a factory harness. Thanks, WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by longislandwrx View Post
    .....however the 818 may take the route that the GTM uses which is a painless wiring universal kit for the std stuff lights/turn signals etc and a modified factory harness to run the motor.

Possibly, but I would guess that the $9900 price point is the biggest indicator of what FFR will go with for the basic kits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    although a basic kit, something like

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Circuit-W...-/330626251511

would give you signals, column power, horn, brakes etc for under $100.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to have to rely on the vast knowledge of the combined forum, my hope is for some detailed posts to ge me thru this complicated part of the build.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    I'm going to have to rely on the vast knowledge of the combined forum, my hope is for some detailed posts to ge me thru this complicated part of the build.
    That's the thing...The factory harness obviously has everything you will need to complete the car. Lights, engine, gauges, even ABS for the adventureous. The problem is that there are changes in the harnesses through the years and model lines - even trim levels. This will make a single, comprehensive set of instructions very difficult to write. And the logistics of 'custom' instructions for each variation of the harness make such an endeavor very hard.

Over time, as more builds get done, I expect the common combinations to be documented. But generally, most folks tend to get so wrapped up in work when it comes time for wiring that the documentation side of it gets sloppy. You can see it in numerous Subaru build threads, on various Forums. You can be following a build with many posts and pictures of each step - then when it's time for wiring the updates stop. Photos don't get taken or posted. A few weeks later you get a "THE WIRING IS DONE" post with an apology about the lack of pictures and details. I think that 818 build logs will be the same. Wiring takes a bit of concentration and research, leaving less time for documentation.

Wiring is going to be one area where the builders are just going to have to roll thier sleeves up, do some reading, and get dirty. Even if you use a 'hot rod' type of harness for the bulk of the car, you still have to do the engine control. At this point Subaru does not sell a harness kit like Ford or GM do. Maybe a 3rd party can fill this gap if the kit becomes popular.

I plan on doing a lot of documentation, and will make extra effort on wiring. However, current finances mean that I most likely won't be in the intial round of builds. Likely a year or so down the road. I am accepting donations though. I have also toyed with the idea of selling modified harnesses or a harness 'thinning' service because wiring has never really scared me (bodywork terrifies me though).
    Last edited by PhyrraM; 09-13-2012 at 01:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    A few years ago I built a rear engined Subaru powered car. It was a 2.5l Sti turbo. I did not use the Subaru ECU and its' associated wiring. The ECU was a MicroTech. Here is a picture of the complete engine harness including the ECU and the seperate ignition box. You can also see relays for the fuel pump and cooling fan. I'm just posting this as an alternate suggestion.

Olli

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice neat install.

Post Thanks / Like
    It appears that there could be a very nice niche here for an enterprising individual... NOT ME! I'm a mechanical junkie and don't "enjoy"the wiring aspects.

It could be worse, my 69 Sonett has Lucas wiring, they don't call him the prince of darkness for nothing... 1600 lbs unique... check out the body and frame. With my engine mods it should have about 80 WHP (63-4 stock ENGINE HP) 1500 cc Ford V4

sonett.jpgsonett-frame-tn.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    that microtech is a nice setup. Had the old school version on my old RX7... for about 1200 its a pretty sweet deal.

Post Thanks / Like
    So no harness comes with the FFR 818 kit?

Post Thanks / Like
    The wiring harness comes from your donor. It needs to be modified to fit, which makes it for me the hardest part of the build. I expect the wiring to be more than 50 percent of the time I spend on the build. Hopefully I'm overstating. We'll see LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Microtech is a good option, but I am in the process of dieting my Oem harness pretty neatly, so I am going to be happy with my setup. Plus a penny saved is a penny for other things.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if anyone has any insight at this point as to the best options for a wiring harness for the R? I'm sure the arguments made in this thread for use of the donor harness in the S are sound, but I would think the R would require a much less elaborate approach.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe Wayne has a harness and engine management system in the works.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    If anyone needs factory wiring diagrams, PM me with your email and desired year and I'll send you a pdf.
    Last edited by fateo66; 07-14-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I believe Wayne has a harness and engine management system in the works.

Jeff
    What engine mgt system? I have been looking at the Haltech system...

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mobius View Post
    What engine mgt system? I have been looking at the Haltech system...
    I'm doing Electromotive and MegaSquirt now.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Plug and play harness???

Add that to my build budget. K Thanx.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    Would the MS be better because it uses the stock crank trigger? I also went to Pullapart yesterday and picked up a cable based TB and all the tidbits including a gas pedal.
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread
    PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer, PADI TecRec Gas Blender Instructor, Operations Manager - DNS Diving, Grand Cayman

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bstuke View Post
    Would the MS be better because it uses the stock crank trigger? I also went to Pullapart yesterday and picked up a cable based TB and a all the tidbits including a gas pedal.
    That doesn't mean much. "Being better" implies a lot more than the "plug and playing" of the crank trigger. For instance DTA also uses OEM crank sensor, does that mean it's better? No it depends what you do with the car, what you want to control and how you want to control. All in all though it's true it's usually easier to use all OEM sensors, but there exist very simple stand alones that don't use OEM trigger (SDS is one). Simple sometimes means "limitations" too, so beware. Make sure the usage you'll do with the car is well supported by the stand alone (for instance SDS is awfully bad with idle valves, so as a daily driver it's not that good, but if you want the minimum of possible headaches when it comes to fuel and timing tuning, SDS is great, but limited again ).
    Frank
    818 chassis #181 powered by a '93 VW VR6 Turbo GT3582R
    Go-karted Aug 5, 2016 - Then May 19+21, 2017
    Tracked May 27/July 26, 2017
    Build time before being driveable on Sep 27, 2019: over 6000h
    Build Completed Winter 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    My thought on the crank trigger was reliable, repeatable.
    818R For Sale!
    818R Sale Thread
    PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer, PADI TecRec Gas Blender Instructor, Operations Manager - DNS Diving, Grand Cayman

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    Do you have experience with ms on the Subaru ignition setup? From what I gather the zeal daughter board should allow for use of the factory crank and can sensors to facilitate coil on plug and sequential injection. Or are you planing to use a missing tooth wheel with wasted spark?. I am looking at using ms as its what I know with a Linux bare bones PC feeding a touchscreen display for a gauge cluster. Just need to work out a fuel level gauge.

Post Thanks / Like
    nice, clean setup i will investigate this option
    kerry

Post Thanks / Like
    just pulled the harnesses off my 2002 subaru impreza today. what a mess i would appreciate diagrams if you have them for this car e-mail [email protected] kerry sylvester

Post Thanks / Like
    PM Fate66 requesting a 2002 wiring diagram. Provide your email address.

Post Thanks / Like
    I email him last night with this link:

http://ken-gilbert.com/impreza-manuals

has the 02-03 wiring diagrams on there.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I al looking for a2002 n/a 2.5. Diagram
    Indiana818
    Kerry
    Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know if a painless kit would work? Seems like it would be easier to use that than teardown the entire OEM harness. Thoughts?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf-10202/overview/

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yeah it's an option, just use the engine and fuel harness, and then adapt your column with the painless kit. Keep that obd2.

the only time consuming part would probably be splicing the column connector in, but probably just a few hours.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    So there are no instructions on how to diet the harness?
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Mechie3 made a thread dedicated to dieting the harness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    So there are no instructions on how to diet the harness?
    I think the instructions say something like "plug it in, make sure it runs, then cut stuff out". Lol.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports