FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4

Thread: About the Rivnuts

Post Thanks / Like

About the Rivnuts

I saw a post on drag week talking about the rivnuts and I also had a question from a customer on them because they were coming loose or spun in the holes. Make sure when clamping those things that you do it twice. By that I mean that once you squeeze it, make sure to turn the back knob on the tool in a second time (now that the nut is shortened) and squeeze again. You have got to squish/crush those things so they anchor and do not spin or move at all, especially on the top! Just making sure everyone knows this.

e
    __

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am getting close to using rivnuts for the first time. NO experience,,, have tools and nuts etc but worried I may get a "spinner". I like the idea of a second squeeze as mentioned here. Is there any advantage to using a dab of epoxy adhesive or something else to add another element of success?

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are rivet nuts that work better in thin aluminum than the ones supplied by FFR. When I'm using a rivet nut in aluminum I typically use these from McMaster-Carr: 94430A336 . They have a serrated edge on the rim that grips soft metals better than the plane style.

4. Likes FF33rod, HVACMAN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's for that bit of info NAZ, I've been putting star washers on them.
    Will have to order some of those good ones.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    There are rivet nuts that work better in thin aluminum than the ones supplied by FFR. When I'm using a rivet nut in aluminum I typically use these from McMaster-Carr: 94430A336 . They have a serrated edge on the rim that grips soft metals better than the plane style.
    Naz is spot on, those work much much better!

Chris
    Generation 3 Type 65 Daytona Coupe Complete Kit #151885 received May 6, 2022. Gen 3 Coyote, IRS, Tremec TKX, American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing & Wilwood brakes.

MK4 Basic Kit #7404, 347 EFI - Pro M Racing ECM, 30# injectors, 70 mm throttle body, 80 mm MAF, Edelbrock Performer aluminum heads & RPM II intake, all new G-Force T5, 3:55 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, 3-link, carbon fiber dash/custom Speedhut gauges and paint by Da Bat.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been using a dab of loctite on mine when I install them.

I also invested in a better rivnut tool than the one ffr sent. I also give the extra squeeze. Haven't had a problem yet.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Also make sure that the grip of the Rivnut is correct, the ones from FFR are for the steel tubes but do not always work on the fiberglass well. I went out and got longer ones and made sure that the backside is flat and parallel to the front on the fiberglass parts, if not they drift to one side even with a washer. I also use a washer that has a slightly smaller hole than the rivnut, then drill it using the proper bit size to get the best fit. No problems so far.
    Last edited by AJT '33; 12-07-2018 at 01:11 PM.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    For fiberglass I normally use rivet nuts made for plastics such as these from McMaster-Carr: 97217A359

I mostly use these in 10-32 and 1/4-20 and will sometimes use flat washers on the back side to spread the load a little better than just the expanding pedals do. But even as designed, for them to pull through the glass would require ripping out a hole in the base material the size of a quarter.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

10. Likes AJT '33 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    since I don't have a lot of muscle I finished clamping with a c clamp to finish closing tool.

12. Likes Derald Rice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I use extension pipes on the rivnut tool handles and clamp at least twice. Never had a spinner yet!

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    I also use extension pipes on the handles.

Wibby

Post Thanks / Like
    I've already broken one handle using the "cheaters" so be careful.
    33 Hot Rod (Gen 1) Stage 1 delivered on 4/27/2017, Stage 2 delivered on 9/21/2018
    LS3 495hp/480 lb. ft., 4L70E, Electric PS, Classic Auto Air, Lokar electronic sport shifter, 13 inch Wilwood front and 11.68 Cobra rear brakes, Ford 8.8 w 3.73 w 4 link, Billet Specialty Legend Series MAG wheels and Mickey Thompson
    Sportsman S/R 26x8x18 front and 29x18x20 rear tires.

Post Thanks / Like
    For the hardtop on the back of the body I put my rivnuts into an aluminum plate all the way across the back under the body so my studs for the top go through the fiberglass body and thread into the rivnuts in the aluminum plate under the body so it is very solid