Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Engine oil temp and pressure location?

Post Thanks / Like

Engine oil temp and pressure location?

I am working on my oil gauges and was wondering if I have the right locations. I have a remote oil filter housing and I am planning to install the oil pressure on the downstream side of the filter. I am running an oil cooling thermostat and cooler. I was planning to install the temperature sensor after the cooler.

Am I on the right track or should I hit another location for either of these sensor points?

Engine is a 4.6 Terminator for reference.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I understand correctly, you will measure the temp of the oil after it passes through the cooler and oil won't pass through the cooler until the thermostat opens up. This is not ideal. If the thermostat fails to open, the oil temp could rise to dangerous levels and you would not know it. Also, you won't know the real oil temp until it is warm enough to open the thermostat. I like to know when my oil temp is up to a safe level to drive.
    Picked up August 2010, first start 12/22/10, first go-kart 12/23/10, first donuts 1/12/11. 427W, TKO500, 3.73 gears

Graduation thread:
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...duate-FFR-5979

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for a poor explanation. I was planning to put it in the return line between the thermostat and the block. I agree it needs to be in the flow no matter whether the themostat is open or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've always run the oil temp sensor out of a bung in the pan. As for pressure, I like to take readings at the first available point right out of the pump. I'm not overly familiar with the 4.6 but on the small blocks, there is a factory port in the block that's a good place.
    Rick
    Lodestone Bililetworks
    Custom Fluid Line Clamping Systems and Custom Coatings
    http://www.lsbilletworks.com

FFR5308R

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe the best place to measure oil temperature is in from the pan. It is the hottest measurable place to do it. The oil will be its hottest up in the engine but is not measurable there. That hot oil will drain down into the pan and is best measured there.

Measuring it after the cooler on it's return to the block is probably the coolest it will be.

In regards to the pressure, I'd measure it directly from the block. I don't know the 4.6L but there must be a place where the Idiot light sensor is located and that can be where you can hook up a flexible line that will run to a 'T' so you can have both the Idiot light and Sensor for your pressure gauge.

George

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, I can do temperature in the pan with no problem. I can hook up the pressure to one of the oil journals on the heads but I had concerns about that. I will research a little more on the block itself and see what I can find. There was a pressure switch (not a sensor) in the original block mounted oil cooler/filter adapter, but I removed it to gain clearance to the frame.