Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Wrench Help - Tight Areas

Post Thanks / Like

Wrench Help - Tight Areas

While I was able to torque the UCA to the frame, I had the hardest time holding the rear nuts (both side of the car) while torqueing the bolts. A socket won't fit since the hole in the frame mount is too close to the top portion of the frame mount, and an open wrench just barely makes it (especially with the "F" panels in place. I wound up placing an open end wrench 90-degrees to normal on the bolt and pinned it against the upper mount bracket portion. It worked, but feel it slowly slipping and rounding the hex while torqueing. Now a thicker open end wrench probably would work better in this 90-degree position, but does anyone know of any type of tool/technique that could work basicallybetter than what I'm doing, and/or act like a socket, but where a socket can't fit (almost need 3/4s of a socket-a portion flattened. Just starting the build and I'm finding several spots already hard to position a tool easily, and that aren't cut & dry when it comes to torqueing the bolts/nuts. Installing is one thing, but mty other concern would be if I needed to reinstall/adjust several times down the road. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Walter

Post Thanks / Like
    Walter-

Have you seen the socket sets that have a hollow center? They are made to allow you to use a socket on a longer threaded bolt, or something similar. The reason I mention this tool, is that the actual ratchet attaches around the socket, and gives you flexibility on where you attach the rratchet itself -- higher or lower on the outside of the socket itself. It gives you the ability to have a shallow (as shallow as the socket itself) tool length. They have the typical long and short sockets in both SAE and Metric sets. I hope this might help; good luck!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Try a crow's foot and a U-joint.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    my plan is to throw the car away if something breaks and buy a new one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by QSL View Post
    my plan is to throw the car away if something breaks and buy a new one.
    does your trash pickup deliver to st. louis

ok back on the wrench work, if its tight i sometimes will use a piece of aluminum tape or some sticky gasket material that is like gum to hold the nut till i can get it started, you can also try the magnetic fingers or gloves that are out there too
    Mk 3.1 #6945