BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Paint Option on Plastic Body

Post Thanks / Like

Paint Option on Plastic Body

I know the 818 is being designed to not require paint, but will the plastic panels be able to be painted? If the plastic expands/contracts a lot with temperature could this cause a problem with paint cracking? I know oem bumpers are usually urethane, but what is FFR using?

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe FFR wouldn't throw this potion at us if it couldn't be painted. Remember, these cars are only kits and it's our job to make them how we want to define them! Not sure if you can just slap some regular old paint on there but I do imagine FFR will tell us what to do if it requires some extra care.... Good question though, been wondering that myself....

Post Thanks / Like
    I was actually thinking vinyl might be a better way to go depending on cost.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm curious about the durability of the body panels without paint. The big companies have gone through nearly a century of learning including how to formulate their paint to withstand years in the sun. They have testing facities that bake paint samples under high heat. How are these panels going to hold up against not just the sun, but also other hazards like road debris and the chemicles in bird poop? I plan on using the 818 most days as a daily diver, so it will sit under the sun in the parking lot at work.

This is one major reason I'll probably wait for the coupe. Soft tops never age well in the sun. I also plan on making the body white, which is the most durable color, and it keeps the car the coolest. I like the look of white best, fortunately. Yellow is also a possibility.

In the long run, if the finish fades, it can always be preped and painted like any other car. I wonder, though, how long the original paintless surface will last.

Post Thanks / Like
    Body shops have been keeping up with how to deal with changes in materials just as fast as manufactures can devise new materials to use.

I don't see any problems getting an 818 to be any color of your choosing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just like painting front and rear urethane bumpers, you have to use a flex agent in the paint. The finished product won't crack, and won't fade any more than the body will. In summary, no... painting it won't be an issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockraven View Post
    ... painting it won't be an issue.
    I believe Dave [Smith] has stated as much. I just don't recall where.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure that painting it will not be an issue if that's really what you want to do. Anything can be painted.

They are going through great strides to make it available so that you don't have to. The big benefit is to reduce building cost and time. To plan on painting it goes against the single best characteristics of the 818, its affordability.

The SEMA cars will be done, however, in fiberglass and gelcoat panels with paint. Apparently the paintless panels are not ready yet. This makes me wonder, if for customers who would rather apply their own paint, if hand laid fiberglass panels may be available in lieu of the plastic panels. Despite the added weight of the paint, might hand laid fiberglass or even carbon fiber panels offer a significant weight reduction for customers willing to spend more money for a better build?

Post Thanks / Like
    I would LOVE to have all carbon fiber panels. Paint would only ruin the inherent beauty...

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the no-paint option is great. But I do believe that over time the panels will fade. More so on cars left outside for long periods. Therefore I imagine that at some point down the road, all 818's will require paint to keep looking as good as they did on day 1.

The question is, how long will it take to get to that point? Hopefully its more than several years, even for cars left outside a lot. But I think only time will tell.

FFR is giving us a way to get the car on the road faster, cheaper, while still looking great. But we can't expect the finish to last forever.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree Oppenheimer, Even the best show paint job will suffer from Sun, Sand, Time and Use (unless it isn't used and mine is planned to be a driver).

It might even be more cost effective to buy a new set of panels from FFR than to paint the panels if they have faded. Could be some different body options to explore by then anyway (examples include Coupe or Targa options). This also means if a panel gets dinged, we could change it out without having to repaint the whole car unless fading has gone to far, then.... time to update and upgrade the body. Factory Five is giving us great options!

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't think of that, the cost of paint vs the cost of just replacing the panels with new. Good idea. We'll have to see how the cost compares.

Another option that has been mentioned for some time is vinyl. Once you're faded enough to want to do something about it, it seems your options would be:

- paint
    - new panels
    - vinyl (certainly someone will be making such by then)

Those are great options to have!

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sure about the shipping cost but it should not be bad enough to disqualify the new panel idea. With the paint and vinyl there is significant time and effort in the application. New panels are bolt and go! IMO, WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    does vinyl really take a significant time and effort?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I tried it a couple of times with some simple peices on a drag car for sponsor signs. That was easy. But I was referring to the more complicated applications with multiple curves. I think it takes some expertise and a few specialty tools. I've only seen it done on vidios for a complete body cover (Muscle Car did one). A good example would be applying window screening. It looks pretty simple but there is a learning curve to get to that "perfect job". WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Wrap it!!! Its the future!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gwader View Post
    Wrap it!!! Its the future!
    Greg-

I think wrapping has a great role in the future of the 818. I think many people will pursue this option as a way to customize their 818 whether as they build, or as their taste changes over time.

I think you are on to something here that will make this a very desireable option for folks!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Wrap would be a usefull option in very complicated paint jobs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is another interesting options for those who choose to go for the Vinyl Wrap. You could have panels drop shipped to a show for vinyl wrap. This gives greater options across the country and around the world. This probably works best if the cutouts (such as the headlight mounts...) are already done by FFR. Other options are to only wrap a few panels, or even to mix and match different colored panels from FFR. An example of this would be using a white central hood and rear deck with other panels in blue to create the color combination in the 818R poster. I think only the tops of the doors would need vinyl to complete this. Of course race numbers and "sponsor adds" are ideal for vinyl. This is only an example.

I can't wait to see all of the variety of 818s there will be. I can visualize a software tool where one selects vinyl for the 818 like my kids do in "Need for Speed" video game, and then have it printed and applied to your 818. Gives me goosebumps...

So many great options! Thank you Factory Five!

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is an example of what might be done with a faux Carbon Fiber Hood Vinyl Wrap. So much that can be done!

Cheers!

FFR 818R Windshield Carbon Vinyl.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    My color scheme is gonna contain a black(matte, metallic, or even carbon-fiber) and a silverish color for a stripe & accent mark on my soon to be baby!

Post Thanks / Like
    The major advantage the 818 has for wrap is that the body panels are finished as supplied, ie, don't need any sanding or work to conceal joints or seams. That's where wrap falls short on the other kits - you have to prep and get at least a good finish in paint, because wrap, like paint, telegraphs every blemish underneath it.

So far, I've seen wrap prices from $1,500 to $3000 and up, it's not a super gloss finish like clear coats can be. The next time you park near a ink cartridge or office supply van, take a closer look. Those are all done with wrap. It's been around for a decade.

The next question is, will the wrap industry be able to match color like the paint guys do? New wrap on a repaired or replaced fender has the same problems as paint - the older surfaces will be oxidized and faded, I don't think you can buff that out. Another $1500 for all new wrap may be above and beyond what's considered normal.

Then, there will be That Guy who has a Roadster or Lotus printed on the wrap lifesized and installed . . .

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Wrapping has been used in racing for a long time but expense may be the limiting factor for it not instantly trickling down to the hot rodder and enthusiast level. The link below shows how it can be used for many applications if your pockets are deep enough. If you need to change a sponsor or other format on the design, you can do a quick turn around and have a completely different looking car. A comparable paint job would take many times more effort and expertise (prep, lettering, stripping, etc). But if you want something unique like carbon fiber pattern, snake skin patterns, and other intricate designs: you guys are right, it is the wave of the future.

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/column...vid&id=2874550

WEK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFR-ADV View Post
    Here is an example of what might be done with a faux Carbon Fiber Hood Vinyl Wrap.
    I dislike faux Carbon Fiber (3m DeNoc?) just because of the poser/rice factor. You're fooling no one that's into that sort of thing. You might fool your grandmother, but everyone in the paddock knows it's fake.

That typed. I love the two tone you've done. I entertain the thought of using a flat black wrap there to avoid shines and reflections off the hood. Do you call it a hood if there' no engine under there?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    I dislike faux Carbon Fiber (3m DeNoc?) just because of the poser/rice factor. You're fooling no one that's into that sort of thing. You might fool your grandmother, but everyone in the paddock knows it's fake.

That typed. I love the two tone you've done. I entertain the thought of using a flat black wrap there to avoid shines and reflections off the hood. Do you call it a hood if there' no engine under there?
    Totally agree with you on the faux finishes. I feel the same way about Pergo. If you want a carbon hood, you can prabably make one yourself by making a female mold from the original, if you have experience with that work. Working with carbon is not extremely difficult. I also suspect that you may be able to get some, if not all of the body panels in carbon from FFR for some extra$.

If you want 2 tone, why wrap the hood? You could just order, from FFR, most of the body in red, and the hood (& trunk I guess) in black.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BipDBo View Post
    If you want 2 tone, why wrap the hood? You could just order, from FFR, most of the body in red, and the hood (& trunk I guess) in black.
    If that's an option, I'd do just that. White with Flat black 'inserts'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BipDBo View Post
    +1 on the 2tone! I'd like that option and would likely even pay a small premium for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    It will good to know how many colors will be available so that we can photo shop the various combos.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I like the idea of a white body, with carbon hood, splinter, wing, diffuser and trunk with flat black accents and charcoal staggered rims

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is another hood (I just can't bring myself to call it a bonnet ) stripe variant. Pick your methods! There are so many good options to choose from. The interchangeable panels will also allow easier recovery from any street or track mishaps.

FFR 818R Windshield Mod2.jpg

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    could you do one with that last hood stripe and do the fenders the same color, and bring the black down through the bumper as well (using the hood/fender lines)? it would really just be 2 red stripes curved outwards on the hood.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like this version the best

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rjh2pd View Post
    could you do one with that last hood stripe and do the fenders the same color, and bring the black down through the bumper as well (using the hood/fender lines)? it would really just be 2 red stripes curved outwards on the hood.
    Hi rjh2pd,

Is this what you had in mind ?:

FFR 818R Windshield Mod3.jpg

Thanks, flynntuna

The FFR 818 has some great curves to accent/highlight.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow I can see this in white, and instead of the red stripes yellow lighting bolts outlined in blue; call it Charger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi rjh2pd,
    Yeah, Thanks. wish i had the skills and software to do that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi rjh2pd,

FFR 818R Windshield Mod3.jpg

Thanks, flynntuna

The FFR 818 has some great curves to accent/highlight.

Cheers!
    Sorry, I hate doing this but is there anyway possible that you could switch out the red stripes and replace them with silver ones? Wish I had the skill to do this!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi timmy318

FFR 818R Windshield Mod 4.jpg

The software I am using is GIMP and it is free. There are lots of tutorials online how to use it. These edits were done quickly to rough out ideas for the community. Sorry about the little red glow and jagged edges. I have to dive into traffic and go to work now.

I am excited to see the real pictures coming back from SEMA.

Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi timmy318

FFR 818R Windshield Mod 4.jpg

The software I am using is GIMP and it is free. There are lots of tutorials online how to use it. These edits were done quickly to rough out ideas for the community. Sorry about the little red glow and jagged edges. I have to dive into traffic and go to work now.

I am excited to see the real pictures coming back from SEMA.

Cheers!
    Thanks! I'm gonna check that software out so I can play it! Thanks for the edit!