Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Air Intake and Filter - Coyote

Post Thanks / Like

Air Intake and Filter - Coyote

Working on a few things today and running into a few issues. Hopefully I can get some advice here.

#1. In following the instructions from FF on installing the Air Intake and Filter, and not quite sure how the parts they supplied will allow me to fit the unit in. So... I am wondering if I can put the Spectre piece with the MAS right next to the intake, then the elbow and then the filter (reveresed from FF recommendations), or if I can cut the elbow, or if perhaps I'm just best to buy a smaller elbow. Or perhaps someone has come up with a better way all together.

Pictures are sure appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'ld be interested in pics as well. I know that I am going to most likely do something a little different, though. I aslo know that will require a re-tune, too.

Anybody done something a lot different then what the "standard" is....if you can call something like a MK4 with a coyote standard

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's what I did. First, I got this nipple from JLT Performance. If connects to the stock driver side breather hose. Call them up and ask for it. It's $20.

Then, I used the 110* elbow and cut it to size.

The MAF sensor needs to between 8 and 24 inches from the throttle according to Ford.
    MK3.1 #7076 - Under Construction....
    Coyote 5.0/Solid 8.8/Tremec 3650
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering
    05-09 T3650 in a Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Clemson... The nipple you show in the first picture on the intake... That's not something that Factory Five shows as required in their Coyote instructions. Is this an added benefit, or something that they missed?

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not something they require. It is a cleaner install using the Ford breather hose. Just something they missed, IMHO.
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    My set up is similar to that posted by Clemson however I simply cut the stock nipple out of stock intake box provided with the Coyote - trimmed and mounted in the stock location on the new 90 degree elbow. I used all of the part numbers recommended by FFR but FFR chose to deviate from the stock setup. My set up ant that posted by Clemson is much closer to stock (than the FFR set up)

I believe getting the initial set up close to stock is important for proper engine operation (before making additional mods)

IMHO

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the same as you Jester, except I have had the nipple pop off already. My brother has a lathe, so we are in the process of making a threaded fitting that will secure from the inside of the intake. Pics to come once we are complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    My set up is similar to that posted by Clemson however I simply cut the stock nipple out of stock intake box provided with the Coyote - trimmed and mounted in the stock location on the new 90 degree elbow. I used all of the part numbers recommended by FFR but FFR chose to deviate from the stock setup. My set up ant that posted by Clemson is much closer to stock (than the FFR set up)

I believe getting the initial set up close to stock is important for proper engine operation (before making additional mods)

IMHO

Post Thanks / Like
    Clemson, what is the name of the "nipple" from JLT? I can't find it on their website. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonS197 View Post
    Here's what I did. First, I got this nipple from JLT Performance. If connects to the stock driver side breather hose. Call them up and ask for it. It's $20.

Then, I used the 110* elbow and cut it to size.

The MAF sensor needs to between 8 and 24 inches from the throttle according to Ford.

Post Thanks / Like
    You'll need to call and order it. It's not on the website. Tell them you need the drivers side breather connector they used on their intakes for 2011+ GT's. If they can't find it, have them look up the order for Kevin Finlay.
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Kevin.

Post Thanks / Like
    which filter is that? i'm not sure which one to get that would fit the best... looks like i need one shorter than 6" - but large diameter should be OK. (?)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hala514 View Post
    which filter is that? i'm not sure which one to get that would fit the best... looks like i need one shorter than 6" - but large diameter should be OK. (?)
    I used this one:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-8136
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    Clemson, nice job. If one wanted to, looks like you could go straight through the F-panel to get cool air from the wheel well. Rain would be an issue though.

Did you have to tune it to get it running right?
    David
    Mk4 Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?141-David-s-Mk4-Build-Thread

GTM Project Build site: http://www.gtmbuild.com

Few Cool GTM Parts: http://www.gtmbuild.com/parts.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    I met Richard Oben in Monterey this year and he described how they did a Coyote/MKIV by snaking the intake tube down between the radiator and f-panel and putting the filter down near the brake cooling inlet in the nose of the car. Gets cool air from in front of the radiator. Haven't thought much about it as I have a ways to go before I am at the point of worrying about the intake but it was an interesting discussion and have it in the back of my mind as something to consider when I get there.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Clemson, nice job. If one wanted to, looks like you could go straight through the F-panel to get cool air from the wheel well. Rain would be an issue though.

Did you have to tune it to get it running right?
    David
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread