Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coyote and Ron Francis Harness - Wiring tips?

Post Thanks / Like

Coyote and Ron Francis Harness - Wiring tips?

Started the wiring process yesterday, and figured I'd ask a couple of questions of the group.

1. Are the instructions from FF accurate? I've run into a couple of things that aren't making sense. example: it on page 73 (alternator) it indicates that I should run the "red alternator wire from the chassis harness to the output post" however, there are 4 red wires, so not sure which one to use and what to do with the remaining wires.

2. Clutch safety switch: I'm assuming I should take the switch wire from the coyote harness, and run it to the safety switch on the clutch pedal (I installed) and then run the other side to a ground. This also means removing the "clutch safety switch wires" that come from the RF Chassis harness. Correct?

2. Are there any tips in general that I should know about? Or items that weren't explained all that well in the FF instructions?

As always, any advice is certainly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Slider

This is not as complicated as it seems. After I completed my wiring I saw a post for Coyote wiring with very detailed schematics for the wiring. This would be the best place to start.

The only issue I had was for the cooling fan where the power for the cooling fan wire (coming from the block box) would not function properly if wired through the Ron Francis fuse / relay box so I wired directly and passed the RF fuse box. Other members may have an alternate solution here.

I used the rest of the setup as per FFR installation instructions however many others have opted not to use the "power distribution solenoid" which is used as a central hub for the battery wires etc. If I were to do it again I would seriously consider not using the "power distribution solenoid" as it is not needed and may represent a potential point for failure in the future.
    Last edited by Jester; 10-15-2012 at 11:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The following link should take you to a thread where I posted some schematic sketches showing the Coyote to Ron Francis interface. You might want to take a look at some of those sketches.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...0880#post70880

With respect to your specific questions:

1. According to the Ron Francis drawings (and the drawings in the FFR manual), there is a single wire connected at the solenoid but multiple wires at the alternator end. I opened the harness at the alternator end and this is actually the case. Near the end of the harness, but within the corrugated plastic conduit, a single large red wire was soldered to multiple smaller red wires. Depending on the type of alternator you use, you may need only one wire. I used a "one-wire" alternator without any voltage regulator so I needed only a single connection but of course I wanted a large wire for the current carrying capability so I cut out the smaller wires and connected a larger wire all the way to the alternator stud.

2. Clutch safety switch: See Sketch Sheet 11 that I referenced in the link above. The clutch safety switch is shown in the lower right corner. I used a neutral safety switch because the kit didn't come with a clutch safety switch but the transmission had a neutral switch. I plan to change that this winter -- a clutch safety switch is a better solution. The wiring will be the same however. One side of the switch goes to ground; the other side goes to the LB/YE wire in the Coyote harness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's what I did.

1 - I bought a 2011+ starter and ditched the solenoid mess FFR recommends.
    2 - Using the Ron Francis harness it works nicely with the FFR ignition. I'd recommend getting that.
    3 - Let the Ford Racing control pack control everything it can. This includes the fan.

Hope that helps.
    MK3.1 #7076 - Under Construction....
    Coyote 5.0/Solid 8.8/Tremec 3650
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering
    05-09 T3650 in a Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on #1 below, looks like you simply plugged the Coyote harness alternator plug to the 2011+ alternator and was done with it correct? What did you do with the two plugs on the 'Alternator' run from the Ron Francis harness though?

All the rest of the Ron Francis / Coyote wiring is easy. This is the only detail that I can't figure out. I have the schematics from Hazelwwp but couldn't figure it out from those either...

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonS197 View Post
    Here's what I did.

1 - I bought a 2011+ starter and ditched the solenoid mess FFR recommends.
    2 - Using the Ron Francis harness it works nicely with the FFR ignition. I'd recommend getting that.
    3 - Let the Ford Racing control pack control everything it can. This includes the fan.

Hope that helps.
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Kevin, if you pull back the wire loom on the alternator run, you'll see that while there is two red wires into the plug, about a foot up the wire, it's just a "Y" connection. I just cut one off, and shrinkwrapped it.

Quote Originally Posted by bansheekev View Post
    Based on #1 below, looks like you simply plugged the Coyote harness alternator plug to the 2011+ alternator and was done with it correct? What did you do with the two plugs on the 'Alternator' run from the Ron Francis harness though?

All the rest of the Ron Francis / Coyote wiring is easy. This is the only detail that I can't figure out. I have the schematics from Hazelwwp but couldn't figure it out from those either...

Kevin