Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally got my donor

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Finally got my donor

Well Finally got my donor, thanks copart haha. 06 White WRX Sedan. Time to start getting to work

Gonna be the first kit car I build so any help is always appreciated.

10-25-2012
    got the car

11-08-2012
    engine, tranny, and much more out of the engine bay

11-30-2012
    dash, steering wheel, carpet, seats, wiring harness, and oh so much more out of the inside
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Zodiac; 12-01-2012 at 12:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck with your teardown. I just made a similar post to yours. Just bought a 02 WRX wagon. Where are you from?
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Yea I saw your post and was gonna reply but can't see the pics cause I'm at work lol. I'm down in Southern California.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good score! I look forward to seeing your work on working on the donor thread. Best of luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    How much did you get it for if you don't mind me asking? I have been casually browsing copart but would like to get an idea on the going rate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Got it for about $3750 after fees. Everything seems in tact with the exception of the front passanger side. Seems the axle, tie rod, spindle, or something is broken from a side impact. Other than that the engine seems to be unharmed but I gotta get a battery hooked up and check the oil levels before I try and turn it to see what's up. I liked out on the car though as most 06-07 models I usually see go for 4k+ before fees.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Zodiac,

You did real good! Hope your components all check out. Keep us posted. That is a very good quality donor (06). WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    Thanks. Got it for about $3750 after fees. Everything seems in tact with the exception of the front passanger side. Seems the axle, tie rod, spindle, or something is broken from a side impact. Other than that the engine seems to be unharmed but I gotta get a battery hooked up and check the oil levels before I try and turn it to see what's up. I liked out on the car though as most 06-07 models I usually see go for 4k+ before fees.
    Thanks for the info. I'm considering making mine with a 2.5RS donor, any idea what those are going for?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MST Engineer View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'm considering making mine with a 2.5RS donor, any idea what those are going for?
    hmm not sure since I was only looking for turbo models. from what I came accross on forums though running models in private sales were around 7-8k from what i can remember. so if you go for salvage ones you'd probably get a real good price on it I think

Post Thanks / Like
    Zodiac, How many miles?

Post Thanks / Like
    140k but I plan on changing out all the pistons and rods for Manley ones. Transmission probably put in RA gears also I'm thinking

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    NIce score....I'm getting excited to start looking for my own.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    so about ready to lift the engine/transmission out today or tomorrow. anyone ever try using something like this on an engine hoist?

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-w...ing-44847.html

looking to see any pros and cons you know. The best part is i dont have to worry about anything getting scratched when I use it on this or anything else that I might come across.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use caribeaners and a chain and loop it such that the chain won't hit anything. Never used the straps myself. Best place to lift from (engine only) is from the AC/alternator mount in front and the loop in the bottom of the intercooler bracket.

If you're lifting the engine/trans as one, it's probably easier to drop the front subframe and lift the front of teh car up over it. Put the top to a spray can in the tail stock of the trans. It's a nice snug fit and prevents oil fro mrunning out.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Zodiac, how satisfied were you with Copart? I stumbled across their site in the past few days. They have a facility in New Britain, CT, and I was thinking of adding them as a potential source of a donor beyond the local used car lots, ads, and ebay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Buying my 818 donor this week was my first transaction with Copart. I have to say, it was an extremely easy and smooth transaction. Be sure to consider the transaction cost and shipping when bidding, as this added about $470 + $800 shipping to my purchase. From winning bid to car at the house, will be a total of 1 weeks time for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    As I am new to this forum and all that goes with it including Subaru engines.
    If I were to build, the 818S is certainly my choice as GTM would be out of the question being too much to start with.

Besides a good cleaning, I do not believe I would be doing any real engine modifications other than those that would be simple bolt on or to improve reliability (not to mention it would be too much power for my driving skills). I am leaning toward a WRX donor. I noticed that the HP difference is not that significant between 2.0L / 2.5L. The 2.5L of course is newer, but I expect miles / driving style is more important than year of make.

That said, could you please add to your discussion the selection process you are using, such as:
    • The pro/con of the 2.0L vs. 2.5L turbo donor?
    • Models to avoid?
    • Must have maintenance / up-grades – (other than standard maint. / & retuning is a given).
    • Ease of obtaining parts / cost of parts
    • Etc.

Thanks for your help
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps start a new thread, but a quick answer to part of it:

Subaru turned down the boost on the 2.5l motors in 06/07 and underrated them. In reality, a stock 06 (2.5L) was as good as a stage 2 05 WRX (2.0L). 2.5's generate much more torque, have variable intake came timing, can support larger turbos (or same size turbos with less lag), but also are more desirable (and newer) and thus cost more.

[img][/img]
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    John, you really need to just set some time aside and read previous forum posts/threads

I got my 05 wrx with 70k from copart, 3500 incl shipping from MI
    Copart was fine, transaction costs do add up as indicated above, If you can visit a local one I'm sure that it is better!
    I bought mine making bids over the internet and their auctions fly online...
    check subaru forums for specific model issues, I looked for low mileage so I didn't have to rebuild much
    you could just pull and drop in a motor and transaxle but what is fun in doing that?
    read the threads there are a million different reasons etc for how why and what...
    think about what you want and decide... I didn't want to rebuild everything, I have 10 cars now w/o the 818 so 3000 miles a year is all it will see. I autocross so that is mandatory, I figure 10 lbs/hp fully loaded would be great so 220 whp will do it, easy with the 05's stock 2.0 liter, a header and up pipe (stock exhaust is UGLY) I sprung for a lighter flywheel @12.8 lbs and a new clutch (even though the stock one was fine)
    at 1800 lbs I'm living with cleaned up stock parts for brakes,new discs and pads, sti control arms and adj lower rear lateral links
    I'll play with leather for interior etc and I need an emergency top

see not so hard! :-) I can assure you that not one person on this forum has gone the same route or made the same compromises and decisions. Everyone has different perspectives, resources, and goals

06-07 2.5l better brakes, 06 only forged lower front LCA arms, also avail on all STI later models, less miles better parts? I'd avoid rust belt cars if you can I spent a bunch of time standing in front of the blast cabinet removing scale etc. I chose to chean refresh paint or powdercoat virtually every donor part

ebay is your friend, both to buy and to sell parts

good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottKoschwitz View Post
    Zodiac, how satisfied were you with Copart? I stumbled across their site in the past few days. They have a facility in New Britain, CT, and I was thinking of adding them as a potential source of a donor beyond the local used car lots, ads, and ebay.
    yea copart was really easy and smooth for me as well. you basically sign up through one of the brokers they offer. be sure to read their policies though as some will charge a fee for using them. its either a yearly or monthly charge depending who you go with. i went with aaa auto and it was free for the first month so since i got the car within that i was able to not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Mechie3 View Post
    I use caribeaners and a chain and loop it such that the chain won't hit anything. Never used the straps myself. Best place to lift from (engine only) is from the AC/alternator mount in front and the loop in the bottom of the intercooler bracket.

If you're lifting the engine/trans as one, it's probably easier to drop the front subframe and lift the front of teh car up over it. Put the top to a spray can in the tail stock of the trans. It's a nice snug fit and prevents oil fro mrunning out.
    thanks i'll have to look into doing that. probably will use a jack to hold up the engine and lower it not sure. i'll probably decide by tomorrow. and i just found out that subaru uses a torque bolt for the tranny fluid....wtf now i have to buy another tool. lol oh the joy
    Last edited by Zodiac; 11-02-2012 at 08:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not all used the T70, just some (like 06, lol).

This is sort of how I lift them. In this case, I was only hoisting it onto an engine stand so I grabbed the ring where the flywheel access port is. Normally the intercooler bracket would be bolted just adjacent to that and I use that to lift it. If you do it exactly like it is in the photo, the caribeaner will hit the trans.

Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Perhaps start a new thread, but a quick answer to part of it:

Subaru turned down the boost on the 2.5l motors in 06/07 and underrated them. In reality, a stock 06 (2.5L) was as good as a stage 2 05 WRX (2.0L). 2.5's generate much more torque, have variable intake came timing, can support larger turbos (or same size turbos with less lag), but also are more desirable (and newer) and thus cost more.

[img][/img]
    Your description and chart makes sense.... If I can find one 06/07 it would be.

BTW .... I have found your other posts helpful as well.. Thanks so much.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Mechie3;78691]Perhaps start a new thread, but a quick answer to part of it:

My frist reply evaporated into data heaven...

Thanks.. your answer is straight up.. I have seen many of the other posts you have written .. always informative! Again thanks. If I can i'll be lurking for an 06/07.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    John, you really need to just set some time aside and read previous forum posts/threads

I got my 05 wrx with 70k from copart, 3500 incl shipping from MI
    Copart was fine, transaction costs do add up as indicated above, If you can visit a local one I'm sure that it is better!
    I bought mine making bids over the internet and their auctions fly online...
    check subaru forums for specific model issues, I looked for low mileage so I didn't have to rebuild much
    you could just pull and drop in a motor and transaxle but what is fun in doing that?
    read the threads there are a million different reasons etc for how why and what...
    think about what you want and decide... I didn't want to rebuild everything, I have 10 cars now w/o the 818 so 3000 miles a year is all it will see. I autocross so that is mandatory, I figure 10 lbs/hp fully loaded would be great so 220 whp will do it, easy with the 05's stock 2.0 liter, a header and up pipe (stock exhaust is UGLY) I sprung for a lighter flywheel @12.8 lbs and a new clutch (even though the stock one was fine)
    at 1800 lbs I'm living with cleaned up stock parts for brakes,new discs and pads, sti control arms and adj lower rear lateral links
    I'll play with leather for interior etc and I need an emergency top

see not so hard! :-) I can assure you that not one person on this forum has gone the same route or made the same compromises and decisions. Everyone has different perspectives, resources, and goals

06-07 2.5l better brakes, 06 only forged lower front LCA arms, also avail on all STI later models, less miles better parts? I'd avoid rust belt cars if you can I spent a bunch of time standing in front of the blast cabinet removing scale etc. I chose to chean refresh paint or powdercoat virtually every donor part

ebay is your friend, both to buy and to sell parts

good luck
    Not so hard for you maybe...

Thanks for the info. At 3500 I think you did well.. I found for an engine for about 2800 & trans for 1600 adding to more than you paid. I saw no way to see what others had paid at Copart.. only here on the forum.

BTW while searching for salvage... I found a site that also has salvage ... you al may know this , I did not so I post it here.

https://www.iaai.com/

Thanks again for the info/advise.

John

Post Thanks / Like
    Not all used the T70, just some (like 06, lol).

This is sort of how I lift them. In this case, I was only hoisting it onto an engine stand so I grabbed the ring where the flywheel access port is. Normally the intercooler bracket would be bolted just adjacent to that and I use that to lift it. If you do it exactly like it is in the photo, the caribeaner will hit the trans.
    ahh thanks. i'll decide when i finally get to it. was trying to get the tranny all disconnected today but i can't get to all the bolts near the shifter. anyone know where any write ups are? i couldnt find any with pics

Post Thanks / Like
    Get the trans disconnected from the motor? There's a thread on nasioc about how to do a clutch. It has pics of the whole thing. I'll look for it when I'm not on a phone or iPad.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking at this donor: http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch....SEARCH_RESULTS

A bit confused, the badging says WRX, but the intercooler under the hood has a big STI on it. Is this model a correct donor model?

Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like
    found a decent one here

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1301065

also found a block tear down here in case someone needs it

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1435733

I should update my car soon also. maybe tomorrow haha i'm lazy today

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jlahl3160 View Post
    Not so hard for you maybe...

Thanks for the info. At 3500 I think you did well.. I found for an engine for about 2800 & trans for 1600 adding to more than you paid. I saw no way to see what others had paid at Copart.. only here on the forum.

BTW while searching for salvage... I found a site that also has salvage ... you al may know this , I did not so I post it here.

https://www.iaai.com/

Thanks again for the info/advise.

John
    John, I meant not so hard to come up with a plan! The Iaai site also has some good stuff, you just have to keep looking, you can find a damaged donor!

Be aware of state laws that can require a 3rd party buy the car for you. They may require that you are in the auto repair or dismantling business to bid!

BEWARE:
    Like everyone else is prone to see, my project suffers from project creep. My brakes were fine as was the clutch and the exhaust header... I replaced them all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ccgillett View Post
    I'm looking at this donor: http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch....SEARCH_RESULTS

A bit confused, the badging says WRX, but the intercooler under the hood has a big STI on it. Is this model a correct donor model?

Thanks for any help.
    hey ccgillett,

I am new to the as well.. hope this helps. this link show how to decode the VIN number. It looks to me that the VIN is WRX.. which I believe means some if not all of the parts under the hood were replaced at some time... Check it out and see if you agree.

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/vin.html#impreza

John
    818s wanabe
    Copart lurker

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ccgillett View Post

Thanks for any help.
    two things

All STI are drive by wire, that has two throttle cables (2nd one is cruise control)
    A 2004 STI is 2.5L, not 2.0

That is aWRX with either STI IC or just a stencilled IC

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Could someone tell me the trigger wheel teeth pattern?
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    not sure what you are lloking for Wayne... @ wheel for ABS ?

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It has a crank trigger wheel for the ECU for engine speed and crank position. Ford uses a 36 tooth with one tooth cut out (called a 35-1), BMW uses a 58-2, LS2/LS3/LS7 use 58-2, LS1 uses a dual wheel with a dual pick up sensor.
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    woot more progress done and some pics

818-2.jpg 818-3.jpg

818-4.jpg 818-5.jpg

818-6.jpg 818-7.jpg

818-8.jpg 818-9.jpg

now i just gotta get an engine stand lol
    Last edited by Zodiac; 11-05-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The car is a WRX with the STI IC (not stencilled WRX IC).

Quote Originally Posted by RM1SepEx View Post
    two things

All STI are drive by wire, that has two throttle cables (2nd one is cruise control)
    A 2004 STI is 2.5L, not 2.0

That is aWRX with either STI IC or just a stencilled IC

Post Thanks / Like
    Zodiac,

Where in Socal are you? I'm in Redondo Beach. I plan on tearing down a WRX too but prob not within the year. Maybe I can come help you if you need a hand. It be a good learning experience for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Zodiac View Post
    woot more progress done and some pics

818-2.jpg 818-3.jpg

818-4.jpg 818-5.jpg

818-6.jpg 818-7.jpg

818-8.jpg 818-9.jpg

now i just gotta get an engine stand lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't realize you were in socal. I'm in orange county for the week for work.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Presley View Post
    It has a crank trigger wheel for the ECU for engine speed and crank position. Ford uses a 36 tooth with one tooth cut out (called a 35-1), BMW uses a 58-2, LS2/LS3/LS7 use 58-2, LS1 uses a dual wheel with a dual pick up sensor.
    Sorry, I didn't look at it when I had the timing belt cover off...

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you are making good progress. Check harbor freight for a stand. Keep us up to date with you donor. I enjoy seeing the pictures.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast