Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: My Dad passed away

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy My Dad passed away

My Dad passed away last week, Oct 18. He was 83. Over the last 10 years I didn't get to see my dad much, he lived up in Frankfort, KY. With me living in orlando, I just couldn't afford to go up there. Back in the beginning of July I talked to him and he didn't sound so good from the way he was talking. So at the end of july and first part of Aug. I flew up and rented a car to go see him. I got lost......lol, and I even planned ahead and all, but I found his house about an hour later. He lived out in the sticks, easy to miss a road sign....

So after seeing my dad for a few days and mostly talking about good ole times and asking where is was at with God and what was going on with himself. I knew he was in good hands, I knew he accepted Jesus as his Lord and Savior way back.

Dad was on oxygen 24/7 for the last few years, so he really couldn't get around much, and with their 3 level house built off the side of a hill, Dad was pretty much confined to the 2nd floor (main).

As I was up there we talked about all the good times, like backpacking trips, funny memories etc.

I always remember some really good saying my Dad always told about common sense stuff.

My Dad wasn't a real hardcore car guy as much as I am, but he always backed when I was doing car stuff.

I was glad to see him before he passed away, which I know was more important then going to the funeral, which I won't be able to go to, just can't afford it, but Dad said don't worry about that, just glad to see me and talk. His wife and I talked the day Dad died and she said there wasn't going to be much of a funeral.

Still hasn't hit me yet, it probably will once I start going through some old pictures.

I'll miss my Dad

David
    Last edited by Vman7; 05-08-2015 at 11:06 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Prayers going out to you and your family! Just by the way you speak of him I can already tell he was a great guy!

Post Thanks / Like
    David,

My heart goes out to you and your family. Thank you for sharing this very personal loss and testimony with us.

I also lost my Dad to Leukemia just a couple weeks ago on 10/11/12 at the age of 75.

My dad was first diagnosed 6 years ago and went into remission for 4 years, followed by a 2 year remission, but a further remission was not to be. He kept up his life’s calling (53 years of service) as he described himself a “Simple Country Preacher,” giving his last sermon in July of this year, just after being diagnosed with the return of Leukemia. He knows and loves Jesus as do I!

In his final days he perked just before I left his bedside in his final week and said to me “If I do not see you again in this life I will see you in eternity.” My family and I still grieve his loss, but it will not be forever. I still miss him as well.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you! May the people of faith around you surround and support you and your family with HIS love.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    David,

My family and I send you our deepest condolences. It sounds like your dad was a man of God and in that you can rejoice! I've lost both of my parents now and am still getting used to the idea that I'm part of the elder generation now. I know I grew up a lot after my Dad passed, knowing that he could now watch over me all the time. I take comfort in that, and the fact that I can still hear him in my head and talk to him whenever I hear his voice.

Peace be with you, and with your father.

David

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    David and Steve:
    My heart goes out to both of you.
    I was 45 when I lost my Father and the toughest day of my life.
    I was able to deal with it by remembering him with a smile on his face doing what he loved.
    My best to both of you.
    Dave

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    My deepest sympathy to you and your family. Be glad you went to visit at that time. I normally would visit my Mom on Thanksgiving. One year we decided to visit early to see leaves change. On my last day of my visit I hugged her and told her I loved her. She died 3 days later. What a gift from God was that visit. God bless you and your family.

President, Factory Five Racing Dave Smith's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    All the Smith's send our prayers. When I was a teenager I was giving my parents grief (lost my license for driving 80 mph down my own residential street in my dad's 72 pontiac 455 4 bbl grand prix). Anyway, my Dad told me that he was disappointed with me. He also told me that I had a responsibility, that my life was not simply "my own" life. That I was "him going forward", that years from now I would be the only thing left of him and that how I conducted my life was part of his legacy. Since that day I've always tried to live my life in a way that would make my father proud, knowing that I am only the lead in a long line of Smith men who I represent.

Vman, YOU are your father going forward. I'm sure he is SO PROUD you! Our hearts break for your loss and we all send our prayers.
    Dave Smith, FFR 001
    President
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sorry for your loss. I've lost both my parents. Lost the last of my dad's family last year (100 year old aunt). Just have comfort knowing your father is in a better place.
    Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry to hear.

Post Thanks / Like
    My deepest sympathy.

Sincerly,

Gus

Senior Member riptide motorsport's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    My condolences to you my friend.
    FFR Daytona Type 65 Coupe
    67 427 Cobra
    57' Belair
    72 Pinto Wagon ,306" 1/4 miler
    34 5 window coupe Ford
    2003 Mustang GT
    99' ZX9
    85 Goldwing

All toys still in the Scuderia!

Every Saint has a past..................every sinner a future

Don't take yourself so seriously........no one else does.

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrists office.

Post Thanks / Like
    My deepest sympathy Vman and FFR -ADV

My dad is 81, he just spent 17 weeks in a rehab hospital with 3 trips to the hospital. He's now using a walker, like several other dad's mine had been sick. He had his first heart attack at 40 & they gave him 5 years to live. I've been blessed to be able to visit 3 - 4 times a week. Like you Vman we have been able to talk about and remember all the good times...

Mom and dad flew to Florida last week for the winter. I'll have to visit soon as I'm not sure that he will be able to fly back...

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    David,
    Sorry for your loss. I can empathize with you as I have been thru it also. Time helps but not for quite a while. I hope you can remember the good times you had with your dad.

Sincerely,

Bill
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you everyone, very much for the condolences and the prayers

Steve aka FFR-ADV, sorry to hear about your Dad as well. I like the "simple country Preacher" part

Thanks for sharing some of your stories

David

Post Thanks / Like
    All,
    Thank you for the outpouring of care and concern!

David,

Thank you for your kind sympathy! You remain in our prayers.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    So sorry for your loss. Our hearts are with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Very sorry for your losses.
    It is good to remember the good times, the times that put that smile on your face, cause thats what life is all about.
    Live Jesus in our hearts, Forever.

Post Thanks / Like
    David and Steve,
    I too am sorry to hear about your loss.

Post Thanks / Like
    David & Steve, Very sorry for your losses. Prayers for you and yours.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thoughts and prayers to you, so sorry for your loss.
    Thanks
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the new condolences and the prayers that have been posted since my last post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Vman7,

My thoughts go out to you for your loss. Cherish the memories, give a little smile while reflecting on them. With some time, it gets better, celebrate the good.

Today is my birthday, and the 1 year anniversary of my father's passing. I do not think a day goes by which I do not think about him, or recall some funny antic we participated in. As Dave said, you are him, go forward.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for your loss, the men from this country's greatest generation are among the best there ever were. My own dad passed almost 20yrs now, still miss him. I didn't see him much growing up ( he was a captain of a commercial tunaboat) saw him 1-2 weeks every 3-4 months. It wasn't till he retired that I got to really know him, and the sacrifices he made for his family. My familys thoughts and prayers are with you.

George