Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: I want to build a Roadster. What is the best way to get started?

Post Thanks / Like

I want to build a Roadster. What is the best way to get started?

Hi,

I have been down to FFR for the touring and it is a fabulous facility and the tour is very informative. I would like to get into this, but my funds are limited. What is the most cost effective way to get started? Are there people out there willing to sell partially built MK4's? What can you get motors and trans for? I would like a 302.

Thanks any information is helpful.

A

Post Thanks / Like
    Where are you from? If you keep an eye on Craigslist, Ebay etc. used kits fome up for sale all the time. Its a good way to get started on a budget. Just my opinion though, if your funds are limited this may not be the project for you. Pretty hard to build one of these for under $20,000.00
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm from Central MA. I would definitely get the complete kit $20k. I was wondering about the motor/trans rear-end wheels tires, how much on average. How much have you seen kits on Ebay for, what do you think is a good price for one that is in good condition and organized?

Thanks
    A

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome!

First off, if you're interested in the Roadster, I would head over to the "other forum" ffcars dot com and browse around. This one is great for 818 news and the chance to interact directly with FFR, but the other one is where the legacy and historical knowledge of the Roadster resides. You will more quickly find all the answers you're seeking.

Good luck!
    FFR Mk3.1 #6720. Carb'd 302. Fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went through all these questions. Factory five has a sale that with the basic kit you get fuel tank, steering rack, wiring harnes and $700 off the wheels. I called the junk yard and got a pedal box, emergency handle and cables gas pedal and rear end. I will have lots of parts to find but believe I will save a lot with this sale. I also did not have to find a donor.
    Last edited by Ringo; 10-22-2012 at 08:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Connect with a local Cobra group/club, ask questions, look at cars, and do some on line research. Don't just jump in with eyes wide shut and buy a kit. Yes, a kit will cost $20k, but then add an engine and transmission ($14k), wheels and tires ($2k), other miscellaneous running gear ($1.5k), body work and paint ($6k). Pretty soon you're up to $45k to build a complete a kit. Unless you really want to spend a year or two in the garage, there are many nice completed cars out there for $10-15k less and you can drive them today. Nothing against FFR, but there a lot of hidden costs that aren't covered in their description. Like all the special tools you'll have to buy that you probably don't have now. I don't see how a newbie can complete a kit in the advertised 120 hours such as FFR states.

Superstition Mtn foothills 5 miles west of Gold Canyon AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm building a roadster that has some pretty nice options but compared to many projects it is very basic (purchased basic kit with options). I added things that would make power and let me use it as a racer part time. So I know I am very low dollarwise compared to most roadster projects out there. Still my 25k budget was busted. Even with me doing the bodywork and paint, it's busted. I'll probably have 29 to 30k before it is over. So unless you are seriously fastidious about your budget, it will creep on you. The thing that seems a little inconsistent is that you say your funds are limited but you will get a complete kit at 20k. You might be better off buying a turn key project. It's hard to build one cheaper than they are selling in this economy. JMO, WEK.
    FFR MkIII 302 (ATK), EFI 75mm TB with custom box plenum chamber, 24# injectors, 4 tube BBK ceramic, cold air sys, alum flywheel, crane roller rockers, T5, Wilwood pedals, custom five link with Watt's link, 4 rotors, coil overs, power steering with Heidt valve, alum FFR rad, driver's crash bar mod, mini dead pedal mod, quick release steering wheel hub #6046

Post Thanks / Like
    I wasn't planning on spending over 25k. I'm over 30k and only lack a few engine items (PS pump, water pump, etc.) plus paint. You can do it for less though. One good place to start is taking the build school. There you can ask the instructors questions to decide if you want to go donor or not and how to plan. I have 3 car and 2 car garages, and with my boats, Harley, and millions of tools (I'm into woodworking and have every tool you can imagine) it is really cramped. You will also need to store the body, so you will need a buck. Than can be made inexpensively and with a minimum of tools. Will you want IRS (performance) or straight axle? I was going to use my donor motor, but found a great deal that wound up being cheaper than having the donor checked over by a machine shop and putting new performance parts on it. I went with the base kit and about 3k parts from FF. It became apparent for some things cleaning was just too time consuming and nasty, so I bought new or rebuilt parts (a rebuilt steering rack wil cost about $150, I got $50 core charge for the nasty old one). I installed the old one and then took it all apart to put in the rebuilt. There are a lot of companies making parts for this kit (engine compartment battery is one I bought and love) that you want to browse. Of course these cost money. Even though I busted my budget, I would do it again. The 94 up donor rear ends are too wide for the body, so get a 93 or earlier donor if going straight axle. I guess I would still do it the way I did. Whatever you decide there are some great guys on the forums that will be a great source when you need help or advice. Enjoy your build!

Post Thanks / Like
    I highly suggest getting enough funds together for your main components before purchasing. That way you can guarantee completion of the project.

Post Thanks / Like
    First of all, do a bunch of research regarding the legalities of the build in MA
    The ability to register and inspect your finished FFR is challenging at best
    The best advice I can offer is to contact Ron E (FFR Finisher on this forum) he is the expert on this in MA.
    Oh and by the way, at least for us in MA, it is a waste to purchase the complete
    kit due to ghe restrictions put on the kit cars.
    Good luck
    FFR 7207 4.6 DOHC, partial donor
    2003 Mach1 running gear, 3:55 rear
    ABS, Hydroboost power steering & brakes

http://s829.photobucket.com/albums/zz220/gtfireftr/MK4/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASilverberg View Post
    Hi,

I have been down to FFR for the touring and it is a fabulous facility and the tour is very informative. I would like to get into this, but my funds are limited. What is the most cost effective way to get started? Are there people out there willing to sell partially built MK4's? What can you get motors and trans for? I would like a 302.

A
    A,

Of course, I may a bit biased, but a great way to get started would be to buy the book that I just authored, "How To Build Cobra Replicas + Buying Used." You can get more information about the book by checking out this first test drive article and be viewing the video that Factory Five Racing shot. Here's the link to the article: http://www.redlinereview.com/factory...test-drive.htm.

Enjoy the adventure!

All the best,

Brian

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree that you should have the money in the bank up front for at least enough to get it on the road unpainted. That way you aren't the guy selling a partially assembled kit at a big loss. Remember, you are buying a toy. If life gets in the way, it will be on the chopping block.

There are a LOT of little things right off the bat that add to the $13K + donor, or $20K plus drivetrain equation. The first is shipping costs. Shipping the kit is a bite out of the budget on day one. Large parts ad to shipping fast. Small parts add up too. Even if you have a well stocked garage, you will end up buying a few tools and you will be buying a few washers, bolts etc along the way.

A partially assembled kit could be a great deal. Espicially if the donor, or new drivetrain comes with it.
    A donor could save you a lot...IF, you can find a good one cheap. If you are looking for a low milage cheap Fox, I wish you much luck. They do happen, but not often. You had better be on the phone within 5 minutes of the ad posting.

Stay basic. You will have a fun car even if you do a totally "stock" build. Most upgrades can come later.