Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Donor Parts Guide

Post Thanks / Like

Donor Parts Guide

Hi Everyone,

I've started a donor parts guide. I think it's better handled as a document, so I've created it as a Google Docs spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...XpMemxJSXctN2c

The permissions are set to read only at the moment, but you can see what I'm thinking.

As most of you know, I don't know a lot about Subarus. I can keep the content up to date, but I'll need help with the actual content itself. If you can contribute to the effort, I'd be grateful.

My thought on organization of the information is to have 2 sheets: One for the full donors, and one for the partial donors. If the partial donor list grows large, I may have to split it even further.

Right now, I've only listed the 02-07 Impreza and 02-07 WRX on the full donors sheet, and the 02-07 STi on the partial donors sheet. I separated out all the years on specific ones because it seems there are some differences in model years, which I'd like to capture if true. My thought is that for some of the other partial donors, the columns probably wouldn't list each model year separately, but rather grouped (i.e. 92-99 Legacy).

Thoughts? Feel free to post any feedback you have in this thread.

I don't want to give everyone edit access (for what I hope are obvious reasons), but if you have a lot to contribute and want edit access to the spreadsheet, please send me a PM with your email address (preferably gmail). (PLEASE DO NOT POST A REQUEST FOR EDIT ACCESS IN THIS THREAD!) Otherwise you can post contributions directly in this thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good start.

The 02-07 mpreza engine codes were EJ251 (01-04) and EJ253 (05-07). Both were 2.5L NA
    02-05 WRX =ej205 (2.0L turbo)
    06/07 WRX = ej255 (2.5L turbo)

I forget when, but early WRX's didn't have a fill cap on the radiator (more difficult to fill/burp)
    06/07 rear spindles are different than 02-05

USDM STI was only available 04-07 (for the GD chassis)
    04 hubs are 5x100 (and will work), 05-07 are 5x114.3
    I've been told the rear hubs of all STI are the same as WRX minus bolt pattern and will work (haven not verified this)
    Zero Decibel Motorsports
    Check out my new website!
    www.zerodecibelmotorsports.com
    www.facebook.com/zero.decibel.motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for this effort.. In my eyes it is a huge undertaking.

If the complexity does not get too out of hand please add at some point what engine would fit without welding / cutting up the chassis. I am thinking along the lines as one thread asked would a ’08 or newer engine fit in the 818.

Why would someone do this?
    I am NOT thinking as others have speculated.. that is, “would an H6 fit”? My thoughts are less grand. If one can’t find a suitable low mileage donor … then… a old engine in a “new car” is not too appealing and the build of the 818 is put off ..
    • Since I have swapped engines in the past I could do so again.
    • As I have not rebuilt an engine, buying one with low miles may be an alternative to rebuild.
    This concept may not work out economically, but does it work physically? I wondered about this question while searching salvage donors.

John
    818s wanabe
    Copart lurker

Post Thanks / Like
    The STI and WRX motors are practically unchanged. The turbo and intercooler style on the 08+ changed, but the STI has retained the same style since 04. There were changes made to the heads, but the external package is pretty much the same.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jlahl3160 View Post
    If one can’t find a suitable low mileage donor … then… a old engine in a “new car”
    but does it work physically?
    John
    <caveat emptor: most of what I know about Subarus I learned on this forum. Any experts please feel free to chime in.>

jlahl3160, I believe you are asking if you can easily swap the engine later. The answer is yes. Nearly any (and possibly every) four-cylinder Subaru engine will fit in the 818. The motor mounts are the same, mating to the transmission is the same, the physical size is the same or smaller. The one thing you would have to change is the the engine wire harness and ECU. But that is easy to do as well - especially if they come with your replacement engine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jlahl3160 View Post
    If the complexity does not get too out of hand please add at some point what engine would fit without welding / cutting up the chassis. I am thinking along the lines as one thread asked would a ’08 or newer engine fit in the 818.
    That is exactly the kind of information I hope to be able to provide. Since delivery isn't expected until mid-2013, I'm starting off with what I think is information the vast majority will want to know. Over time I plan to add other models information such as the 08 and newer Impreza/WRX/STi. Since I'm no expert, much of my ability to provide such information will be limited to the graciousness and time of those with the actual knowledge. I'll update stuff as soon as I can after getting the info.
    Last edited by Xusia; 11-14-2012 at 12:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Really good idea!!

Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    The 08+ cars use a completely different rear suspension setup. Also the gauge cluster is different shaped. It would definitely leave you having to source parts outside of your initial donor.

And also, the STi rear hubs use a larger ebrake drum setup than the WRX.

Post Thanks / Like
    Xusia, please be sure to add a column for the Forester XT. From what I hear, the drive train is basically a precursor to the STi. (I imagine the interior is different too.)

The Legacy GT also has the 2.5L turbo. I would like to explore these possibilities as they would cost less than a WRX and be less likely to have been thrashed by the previous owners.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again Mechie3 and bromikl.

John
    818s wanabe
    Copart lurker

Post Thanks / Like
    I was JUST wondering if there was a donor thread. Having a wiki site of some sort is a really good idea for people to learn what will and wont work.

David
    Mk4 Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showthread.php?141-David-s-Mk4-Build-Thread

GTM Project Build site: http://www.gtmbuild.com

Few Cool GTM Parts: http://www.gtmbuild.com/parts.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Bump

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flatfourspec View Post
    The 08+ cars use a completely different rear suspension setup. Also the gauge cluster is different shaped. It would definitely leave you having to source parts outside of your initial donor.

And also, the STi rear hubs use a larger ebrake drum setup than the WRX.
    Front suspension is also completely different...

Post Thanks / Like

Where EJ255 (2.5L Turbo) is used ... & others

Wiki has a list of Suaru engines and where they are used

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine

According to this site EJ255 has the following usage in North America:

Impreza: 2006–present
    Forester: 2004–present
    Legacy: 2005–2012
    Outback: 2005-2009
    Baja: 2004 - 2006
    SAAB 9-2X: 2006 only
    Usage in the rest of the world:

Legacy/Outback: 2007–present
    Impreza: 2006–present
    Forester: 2005–2010

John
    818s wanabe
    Copart lurker

Post Thanks / Like
    Ej255 specifically refers to (one of) the turbo motors. The base imprezas would have an ej251 or ej253
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I have all the engines listed. What I really need at this point is some confirmation as to the transmission models (both manual and autos), as well as the specifics on other parts (i.e. alum & steel LCA & trailing arms, gauge differences, etc.).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    I think I have all the engines listed.
    I thought you would be adding in the Partial Donor tab a column for each of the versions (Forester, Legacy, etc.. with year applicable) that had a EJ255 (Turbo) or likewise for the EJ251 / EJ253 engines to show where one could obtain same... I just looked at the table and I did not see those listed.. or was that not your intent? (I thought it was else I woul not have sent post #14).

John
    818s wanabe
    Copart lurker

Post Thanks / Like
    I was hoping to fill in the missing info for what is there, but I can certainly do that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Added.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks...

Just found this trany chart...
    http://www.gearhack.com/myink/ViewPa...ission%20Chart

John
    818s wanabe
    Copart lurker

Post Thanks / Like
    Suggestion, add the SAABarus to the list. There might not end up being any donor parts that differ in any significant way from Imprezza/WRX, but just listing the SAAB models will let people know they are a viable donor.

Post Thanks / Like
    The 2006 Saab 9-2X is already listed on the partial donor tab because as I understand it there are some bits that wont' work. If we can confirm this is a viable single donor, I'd love to move it over to the other tab.

Also, a new forum member just said the 2005 9-2X uses a SOHC cam version of the EJ253. I'll add that if I can get a confirmation the information is accurate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Please see link to wiki I posted in reply #14... all Suby engines are listed... for yo convienience I copied them here.

EJ251 has Usage:

Impreza 2.5RS, 2.5TS 00-04 (US)
    Impreza Outback Sport 02-04 (US)
    Forester 00-04 (US)
    Legacy 00-04 (US)
    Outback 00-04 (US)
    Baja 03-05 (US)

EJ253 has usage:

Impreza 99, 05+
    Legacy, Outback USA 05+
    Forester 99, 05+
    Baja 05+
    Saab 9-2x Linear 05, 06

John
    818s wanabe
    Copart lurker

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm, we have a mismatch. I'll have to do some digging. I was under the impression the 2006 9-2X is an EJ255, not an EJ253. BIG difference!

Post Thanks / Like
    9-2x aero = wrx wagon. 05 had the ej205 06 had the ej255
    9-2x linear = impresario wagon. It had the non turbo ej253
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    LOL - I literally JUST figured that out. Updating the document now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the '04 STI hubs and brakes should work. Unless the FFR adapters add some new issues. As WRX struts are compatible.

Are the 5x114 STI hubs a no go? 5x114 has a much better wheel selection, and much better front wheel bearings. The 5x100 wheel bearings are a known weak point for track use.

Anyone know if the ECU will flip out if you switch transmissions, such as swapping a WRX 5 speed onto the STI engine?
    Last edited by Grintch; 11-21-2012 at 04:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you saying the 2005 STi came with 5x100 hubs? If so, any sources you can point to? I'm trying to ensure what we list in the spreadsheet is accurate.

Post Thanks / Like
    No, 2004 sti is the only sti with 5x100 hubs.
    Zero Decibel Motorsports

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Jdm sti's also have 5x100 hubs are all over the web for sale

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry. I meant 2004, not 2005. Updating the spreadsheet...

Post Thanks / Like
    Subie Newb here- Would I be fine grabbing a 2012 WRX 2.5L motor/ECU/ and 5spd trans all from the same car? EJ255 GV7? Thanks.. I'm not taking anything else (Susp, etc)
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey everyone, there have been a few donor compatibility questions raised recently, so I took some time and both better organized the spreadsheet and added information that came to light as a result of those questions. For those that are knowledgeable, please take a look and let me know what I've missed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Plavan View Post
    Subie Newb here- Would I be fine grabbing a 2012 WRX 2.5L motor/ECU/ and 5spd trans all from the same car? EJ255 GV7? Thanks.. I'm not taking anything else (Susp, etc)
    You need to tread carefully here. Later cars have VIN related immbobilizers that are not very tolerant to changing out parts.

One detail I can layout to use as an example....
    Later cars do not have a speed sensor output on the transmission - the vehicle now uses the wheels speed sensors mounted to the hubs/knuckles for that function. The 818 does not use these newer hubs/knuckles, and the hubs/knuckles it does use have a very different pickup and pattern. Furthermore the ECU needs a compatable speed sensor input to no throw a code. At the moment, it appears to be an (temporary) impasse when for any 2008+ WRX/STI motor and ECU. The usually solution is to throw away the OEM ECU (and all the interdependancy with it) and go with a stand-alone.

This is all surmountable, but a builder looking to use the newest hardware will also need to be the pioneer and champion. The answers are not likely to come easily on the forums.

Sliding backwards to older hardware is far, far easier.
    Last edited by PhyrraM; 11-29-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Column G on the partial donors tab should be "Impreza Outback Sport".

All Outback Sports were Impreza based. (Trivia: The name has now been changed to Crosstrek or VX or VX Crosstrek for the 2013+ models)

Legacy based cars were simply "Outback" with very early cars ('96-'97?) having both "Legacy" and "Outback" badges.

Post Thanks / Like
    row 14 on the partial donor page:

'04 (only '04) STIs have the same knuckle/hub as the WRXs and regular Imprezas. The rotors and calipers were upgraded to Brembos, but the hubs/knuckles remained the same for the '04 model STI. '05+ have the incompatable parts in that regard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    The rotors and calipers were upgraded to Brembos...
    Front, rear, or both?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    Front, rear, or both?
    I was refering to the front. But both front and rear on the STIs had Brembos.

The rears can physically be mounted - as nothing related to the strut or suspension arms changed (this applies to all STIs). However, the center splines for the driveshafts may be different for STIs as a byproduct of the upgraded rear differential the STIs used vs lower trim Imprezas. This means that '04 STI rear hubs/knuckles (and Brembos) will bolt up to an 818, but the FFR provided CV shafts will likely not work 'out-of-the-box'.

The '05+ STI switched to 5x114 lug pattern, making those rear hubs/knuckles an odd duck. They will also bolt to the 818 (same CV issue though), but do not have a 'matching' 5x114 front hub knuckle that is 818 compatable.

Also, everything stated here and above is for North American STIs. 'Rest of the World" STIs are a bit different.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    Also, everything stated here and above is for North American STIs. 'Rest of the World" STIs are a bit different.
    Yeah, I thought of that too, since this is a "world car," and noted it in the spreadsheet by changing the names of the tabs to indicate the country; in this case US.

Post Thanks / Like
    Column G line 6,

The Impreza Outback Sport, gen 1 ran until '01.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast