FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Donor Parts Guide

Post Thanks / Like
    As I enter all this info, and learn more, it's causing me to think more and more about using an older Impreza/Outback Sport as a donor...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Xusia View Post
    As I enter all this info, and learn more, it's causing me to think more and more about using an older Impreza/Outback Sport as a donor...
    That's my thought. 2.5 N/A ought to be the perfect setup for the street. Simple. Plenty of torque. Predictable power and not so much that you'll accidentally spin your rear tires at 55 MPH.

On a different subject, you should give Phyramm editing ability. It would be easier for both of you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I offered (specifically to him, but also to anyone willing to help)! I suspect he's either busy or doesn't want the responsibility. I'm happy to do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    While I'm normally very computer literate, speadsheets and I just don't see eye-to-eye. They are just...too......organized. And I usually have better things to do than to let one beat me into submission.

I don't mind reviewing it and offering comments, as long as others don't mind translating that into the sheet.

To add to the mix, the second gen Impreza ('02-'07, "proper donor" years) also had a model called the "Outback Sport". These are full donors as they were really just Impreza wagons with a two-tone paint job. The 2.2 liter motor was dropped after '01, so these all have the same SOHC 2.5 motors as any other non-WRX Impreza of the same year.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't mind translating at all. I'm a bit of a spreadsheet expert!

I added Outback Sport to the Impreza heading. Since they are the same, I didn't think we needed more columns.

Different topic: In the motorcycling world, just about every place that sells OEM parts (i.e. for replacement in case of accident) has the factory microfiche available online, complete with part numbers, prices (of that particular online store, of course), etc. I looked last night for something similar for the Impreza and couldn't find a one. Does such a thing exist? What I plan to do is compile a list of part numbers for each of the listed items (i.e. the front brakes), along with prices. That way folks would have a way of knowing approximately how much new OEM parts would be if the part on the donor is bad or damaged, or if they just want to buy some parts new for whatever reason.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://opposedforces.com/

You can look up most Subaru part numbers here. By looking up a '02-'07 WRX first, and then looking up a possible donor part, you can tell if the part is exactly the same. However, even parts that are not exactly the same may be applicable to the 818. Opposedforces will not help there.

The diagrams could be the most usefull as you can see when the entire design changed. Also, checking to see if some of the secondary brackets and such are the same will give an indication if the bigger 'main' part will also fit. (example..if the gasket is the same, that means the bolt pattern is the same, and that means the parts will usually interchange mechanically)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have also been considering using an older Japanese import engine as they are considerably cheaper ($1000, 97-98 EJ20G, 50,000 miles with 5MT). Does anyone know if it will work if I have the engine wiring and ECU?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinh View Post
    I have also been considering using an older Japanese import engine as they are considerably cheaper ($1000, 97-98 EJ20G, 50,000 miles with 5MT). Does anyone know if it will work if I have the engine wiring and ECU?
    If you have the engine, wiring harness (at least the bulkhead, dash, and engine compartment harnesses), and ECU you should be able to get the engine running with a minimal of extra additions (fuel pump comes to mind). You would still need to wire "the car" (lights mostly).

Post Thanks / Like
    Will the 818 use the sway bars off the impreza?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello there,

An EJ20G is a so=-called stage one engine The internals of the engine are different from the stage 2 types! Bassicly the fittingpoints are not all the same! Biggest difference are the 4 fitting points from the TM to the EG However both stages TM,s can be used with some mods to the stage 1 TM's! Stage 1 TM code start with TY752 ( 4 bolts fitting) Stage 2 start with TY 754/755/757/758 ( 8 bolt fitting) If a TY752 is installed to a stage 2 engine the Starter stud must be removed en the studhole must be drilled to 10mm. The installation of a stage 2 TM to a stage 1 Engine is also possible with some mods!

When I am building a TM for a Saker sportscar I am building only stage 2 TM because of the small internal differences As you may understands the TM is due to the 2WD conversion extra loaded on the Fr. diff All transmission build for the Saker sportscar are equiped with extra oil cooling en lubrication to keep it in one piecee during the race in the Sakerchallenge race series! In the beginning of the series a lot of TM breaking happens Now after 5 years the starting problems are solved. The gearratio's we use are depending from track to track.

Succes with your projects

Gerrit
    Last edited by Seniorsub; 01-19-2013 at 01:36 PM.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Will the 818 use the sway bars off the impreza?
    As far as I know they are not using any sway bars so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Seniorsub, and welcome!

I'm having trouble understanding what you are trying to say. You are using too many acronyms and codes (TM, EG, TYxxx). I don't know what those are or how they are relevant to the spreadsheet I'm assembling.

Also, I am not including any modifications in the spreadsheet. As I stated in the first post, I put the spreadsheet together to help people understand to what degree various donors would work for an 818 build - upgrades are not a part of the intended function.

Therefore, if you have useful information that should be included, please explain it to me a bit more clearly. If your information is more upgrade oriented, please post it in an appropriate thread (i.e. not this one).
    Last edited by Xusia; 01-31-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe a dumb question: what wouldn't work from a 2008 Impreza 2.5i? I found nothing about it on the spreadsheet. Yes, I know it isn't on the approved donors list. Could it be a partial donor?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bromikl View Post
    Maybe a dumb question: what wouldn't work from a 2008 Impreza 2.5i? I found nothing about it on the spreadsheet. Yes, I know it isn't on the approved donors list. Could it be a partial donor?
    Basically drivetrain only. And even at that there are some pretty decent hurdles - such as no speed sensor output on the transmission. The Speedo (and all other speed related functions) get the input from the ABS sensors on the hub - and the hubs are different (as is the complete suspension/chassis).

Post Thanks / Like
    Wouldn't engine management also be an issue? I assume the computer that came from the donor would work for the engine, but would it integrate appropriately with the other components that FFR is supplying (the speed sensor issue mentioned about is an example of the types of issues I'm referring to)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, engine management could be an issue depending on how you choose to integrate the rest of the electricals.

An '08+ harness could run the whole car (and engine), but then the challange becomes adapting the stuff like pedal switches and steering column.

Subarus were very "lego" from '90-'07 (most models, not all) but from '08+ most of that 'lego' went away, even if the engine itself was the same.

IMHO, the only reason to target an '08+ is if it falls into your lap (free/cheap) OR you want to build around the dual AVCS heads (which were not introduced until the '08 redesign). And even then, for the former "free" car, I would work to trade for '02-'07 stuff.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if older cars can be used for the door parts and hood hinges? Does anyone know if they are the same. I can find lots of older imprezas in the boneyard but 2002-2007 are hard to come by here in florida. I need the rear door stuff, hood hinges and shifter parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    I wonder if older cars can be used for the door parts and hood hinges? Does anyone know if they are the same. I can find lots of older imprezas in the boneyard but 2002-2007 are hard to come by here in florida. I need the rear door stuff, hood hinges and shifter parts.
    Instead of hunting for the cars with correct hinges you need, why not just bite the bullet and order them from a internet dealer? Time is money in my book, Why waste it
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)

Post Thanks / Like
    Page 39 of the beta disassembly guide shows the rear view mirror, which got me thinking. Some donors will come with the auto-dimming / compass mirror and most folks will want to use the standard mirror instead. The wire-spring clip that fits into the piece which glues to the windshield is different between standard and auto-dimming mirrors, so be sure to grab that spring-clip when you fetch a standard mirror from a junk yard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol just reading this again and noticed the post about the outback being an impreza just with two tone paint. Samr donor that was in the disassembly manual just released if im not mistaken. More confirmation that yhe outbacks will work as a donor if Odle are still questioning it.

Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to note the engine control as well. Some controls are MUCH easier to swap due to lack of "security" measures. and others are VERY difficult.

for example. OBDi are VERY easy to swap. all impreza obdi setups even have the engine harness already separated from the body harness (standard). It doesn't have any sort of "security" system beyond the normal start interlock for the automatics (and tied in if you have an aftermarket security system)

OBDii there are 2 separate styles to swap. non Canbus and CANBUS systems. the Non canbus are MUCH easier, they do not check for specific lock cylinder codes, they do not complain too much when systems are removed. The CANBUS however complains when ANYTHING is removed from the system.

also to Note, CANBUS systems get their speed signal from the ABS Sensors, making the 818 swap in even more technical because of ABS retention.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    Lol just reading this again and noticed the post about the outback being an impreza just with two tone paint. Samr donor that was in the disassembly manual just released if im not mistaken. More confirmation that yhe outbacks will work as a donor if Odle are still questioning it.
    For clarity, though, remember that we are talking about the Outback SPORT, which is a different vehicle than the standard Outback. The standard Outback, at least in the year classes we are focused on, is Legacy-Based. The Outback SPORT is an Impreza.....

Post Thanks / Like
    I know that. Jusy made an observation. Im driving my donor right now which 06 wrx. So im good on the donor side. Just need to get my kit next year

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I am aware of the canbus and non canbus set ups, you have to completely delete each system and than remove it for any ecu memory that stores it, or remove that ecu, module etc, some don't require the reflash where others do on certain components .

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind that all 'proper' donors are not CANBUS. CANBUS is '08+ on the Impreza line.

There are also NON-CANBUS systems that use security keys and codes - such as '05-'07 Legacy, '05-'07 STI and likely more.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hinges, did anyone say hinges

Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    Keep in mind that all 'proper' donors are not CANBUS. CANBUS is '08+ on the Impreza line.

There are also NON-CANBUS systems that use security keys and codes - such as '05-'07 Legacy, '05-'07 STI and likely more.
    I am aware of this, I was just responding to someone else talking of canbus/ non canbus. I am pretty much deleting everything from the wire harness, bare bones engine, tranny, cluster, brake light switch, flasher, lights, fans , ecu, water sprayer/ meth injection and prob something else I am forgetting.

Post Thanks / Like
    What does 5x100 and 5x114 mean?

Is this bolt pattern or bearing size?

Please explain it a little.
    2011 Nissan LEAF
    2007 Dodge RAM 3500
    2006 Subaru WRX STi
    1996 Chevy Tahoe
    1968 Camaro Convertible
    1959 Chevy Apache Fleetside

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MurrayT View Post
    What does 5x100 and 5x114 mean?

Is this bolt pattern or bearing size?

Please explain it a little.
    5x100mm or 5x114mm is the lug pattern on the hub

Post Thanks / Like
    To add further clarity, WRXs are 5x100, and STis are 5x114. As you might already know, 5x114 hubs are NOT compatible with the kit; at least as provided by FFR. You could probably make them work if you have the knowledge and patience.

Post Thanks / Like
    one semicorrection to above note 04STI was the 5x100, uses the same knuckle as the WRX, and therefore will work for our swap (suspension wise), though you'd have to source a 5spd, as the 6spd Is NOT compatible with our swap (yet )

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    And another, jdm hubs Sti or wrx are 5x100 and will work too

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PhyrraM View Post
    I was refering to the front. But both front and rear on the STIs had Brembos.

The rears can physically be mounted - as nothing related to the strut or suspension arms changed (this applies to all STIs).
    I'm new here and hope I don't step on toes. I don't think you should say "this applies to all STIs". '11 on STIs have different front and rear lower control arms. I'd suggest being very specific about the years. Specify a year range for globalizing, as I and others are considering using parts after '07 and from STIs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Scargo, good point - and WELCOME! You should probably be aware that MOST of the time on this forum we are discussion only model years '02-'07, and in many conversations that range limitation is implied.

Post Thanks / Like
    So if the entry in the table is blank (no color, no text) do we assume that the parts are compatible?
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Yikes! I haven't gotten any feedback in a while, so I haven't looked at it. What cells are you speaking about specifically? I'll take a look and let you know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yikes! I haven't gotten any feedback in a while, so I haven't looked at it. What cells are you speaking about specifically? I'll take a look and let you know.
    Looking at the "partial donor" tab, lines 17, 18, 19, 25, 26, 27 all under STi, as I was looking at some 05 STi parts
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand the question now. Cells on that tab that are completely blank means I have not gotten positive confirmation one way or another regarding fitment. If you find out, please let me know so I can update that information.

Post Thanks / Like

Teardown Guide & Enhanced Needed Parts List

Hi All-

I received this from FFR, Joe Scott, a week ago when I sent FFR tech some questions. and wonder how wide the distribution has been. I sure wish I had it (knew of its existence) when I started my 2006 WRX tear down a month ago.

Directions are for an older WRX. So far I have noticed that the 2006 passenger air bag disassembly is way different. Once you get the Glove box out remove the 3 nuts under the AB assembly and lift it out, yep it's that simple. Make sure battery is disconnected of course.

The file "881-Manual-Disassembly.pdf" is too large to attach.

John H
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Base Impreza rear brakes . . . in Canada anyways

Hi all,

Thanks for all the hard work and info in this spreadsheet, it is most helpful.

I don't know if this is Canadian version issue, but I have looked at a few base Imprezas (not WRX or Sport) that have drum brakes on the rear. I read that some older ones may have drum brakes, but I was surprised to find several 2002 and 2003 Imprezas with drum brakes. I am planning to pick up a "sport Wagon" which has disc. I also spoke to one fellow selling an RS (I think that is right, not positive) that has drum. This seems quite strange and actually makes the manual I have incorrect as the Impreza 2002-2007 is not a complete donor. . . at least not here. I don't know about other years, so far I have only seen the 2002 and 2003 model years.

Thoughts?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12