Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Upper control arm mounting location question.

Post Thanks / Like

Upper control arm mounting location question.

I hate to ask this question as it has probably been asked many times over. The build manual for a base kit says to mount the UCA to the horizontal mounts. A lot of pictures I look at have them mounted vertically. I have the spindles from a 99 Mustang, SN 95, so which is correct? The research I have done says that the Complete Kit with the FFR spindles uses the vertical mounts, and the donors use the horizontal mounts. Is the manual just assuming (I hate that word) everyone is using the FFR spindles? This is on a Mark IV also.

Thanks in advance, Mike.
    Mark IV 7923 arrived 11-14-12
    DOHC 4.6L, Tremec 3650, 3 Link 8.8 w/3.73

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the correct answer; and the donors use the horizontal mounts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just built a mark4 and I used the horizontal mount.
    s95 spindles here as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure before I torqued things down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you doing the SAI mod? that determines where you put the UCAs. If you haven't planned on the SAI mod i strongly suggest that you do it. Since you have a MkIV, you don't need the whole kit because the frame mounts are already there. So call Whitby's and ask for a reduced price SAI kit and see what they say.No you don't NEED the SAI mod, but w/ a MkIV,SN95 spindles and the SAI mod you have all of the latest and best thinking on FFR front suspension design. W/o the SAI mod you are a partial generation behind.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Are you doing the SAI mod? that determines where you put the UCAs. If you haven't planned on the SAI mod i strongly suggest that you do it. Since you have a MkIV, you don't need the whole kit because the frame mounts are already there. So call Whitby's and ask for a reduced price SAI kit and see what they say.No you don't NEED the SAI mod, but w/ a MkIV,SN95 spindles and the SAI mod you have all of the latest and best thinking on FFR front suspension design. W/o the SAI mod you are a partial generation behind.
    Nothing gained by the SAI mod if you are using FFR MkIV Spindles with the MkIV upper control arm relocation point
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the SAI mod ? And what are the advantages. This will be street car only.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    In a nutshell the Steering Axis Inclination modification addresses several potential issues by correcting a fundamental suspension geometry shortcoming. David Borden was instrumental in doing the R&D and briefly summarizes it here:

Quote Originally Posted by David Borden View Post
    ...Lowers the Steering Axis Inclination to a degree that is in the optimized range for SLA(short, long arm) type suspension.

It also addresses the issue of Caster Trail and roll center as well. The reason the SAI mod has such complex compound angles and an offset ball joint. All this stuff was required to get the clearances acceptable and address these three issues.

The FFR spindles do indeed address the caster trail, roll center and SAI. SAI on the FFR spindles is a bit higher to allow for clearance with more wheel chooses.

You can install the SAI mod on the MK4 chassis and use the same chassis mounts FFR uses with their new spindles. Ive measured it out and the roll center works.

The SAI kit, changing your alignment, or any other suspension adjustment will impact bumpsteer, and adjusting bumpsteer should be the last thing done after you have your suspension setup and alignment complete...

David
    At the risk of giving a non-answer by simply saying "do a search" I advise you to do just that. There is tons of information on "the other site" relating to it.

To answer the other part of your question, yes it is beneficial to a street only car.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Jeff, I'll read up on it.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FFRSpec72 View Post
    Nothing gained by the SAI mod if you are using FFR MkIV Spindles with the MkIV upper control arm relocation point
    Except he has donor spindles, not the MkIV spindles!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    Except he has donor spindles, not the MkIV spindles!
    Would really consider changing them out, had FOX and then SN95 Spindles and neither worked well
    Tony Nadalin
    2018 SOVREN Big Bore Champion
    2015 SCCA Oregon Region VP3 Champion
    2012 ICSCC ITE Class Champion
    FFR MkII Challenge Car, Spec Racer, Street Legal, SCCA, ICSCC and NASA Racing
    818R Build in progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Tony, what didn't work well with the SN95 spindles ? Also do you mean on the track? My car will strictly be street driven, although very spirited at times, but nothing compared to shaving a tenth here or there in the heat of competition. I don't want to sound ignorant, but in this situation I am a little. Thanks for everyones input thus far.

Mike