Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How To: Coyote Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like

How To: Coyote Power Steering

WARNING: AFTER TRIAL AND ERROR, THE S197 PUMP RELIEVES AT 1,530 PSI. THIS IS MUCH HIGHER THAN THE PREVIOUS SN95 AND FOX STEERING PUMPS. THIS WILL VERY LIKELY CAUSE SEALS TO FAIL ON ANY POWER STEERING RACK YOU TRY. I'M CURRENTLY LOOKING A PRESSURE REDUCTION OPTIONS.

I finished my Coyote Power Steering this weekend, so I figured I’d make a how to.

*Note: The pulley/frame clearance is small. You'll need to use a modular motor mount spacer from Whitby or make your own if you currently are not.

Parts needed:
    Coyote Power Steering Pump Bracket – M-8511-M50BR
    2005-2009 Ford Mustang GT Power Steering Pump & Pulley
    Edelmann 92400 Power Steering Hose
    Power Steering Reservoir
    AN-6 hose, to length
    AN-10 hose, to length,
    High Pressure AN-6 hose, to length
    (1) High pressure 45 degree AN-6 fitting
    (1) High pressure straight AN-6 fitting
    (1) AN-6, 45 degree fitting
    (1) AN-6, 90 degree fitting
    (1) AN-10 straight fitting
    (1) hose clamp for AN-10 line
    (2) Power Steering Rack O-ring fittings (varies depending on what rack you use).
    Misc: Bolts, reservoir mount, zip ties, fluid

Unfortunately, I purchased the hardware a long time ago, but you’ll need 3 bolts to mount the bracket to the block, and 4 bolts to mount the PS pump to the bracket. Install the pump on the bracket prior to installing the outlet fitting. The pump outlet fitting will block a mounting bolt. Once the pump is on the bracket, bolt the bracket to the block.

This photo shows the first outlet fitting I bought, which leaked. But it does show the pump mounted, which is the important part.

Next, you need a reservoir. I chose an All Star performance from Summit:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AAF-ALL36126

There are mounts available or fab your own. I mounted mine to the pass side F-panel as shown below.

You want a reservoir with AN-6 inlet, and AN-10 outlet. The power steering pump inlet is sized that an AN-10 line slides right over.

Next you want to measure and build 3 lines.

The first connects the reservoir to the pump. This will be AN-10. Use a straight fitting on one end, and the other if left open. Bolt the fitting to the reservoir bottom and the other slides on the pump inlet with a hose clamp.

The second line is standard AN-6. Use a 90 fitting on one end, and a 45 degree fitting on the other. The 90 degree fitting connects to the reservoir inlet, and the other to the steering rack outlet. You will need to buy a power steering O-ring fitting specific to your rack. I got mine from Breeze.

The third line is the most difficult. This is the pressure line from the pump to the rack. Make sure you use a high pressure line and fittings:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-632610
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-620411
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rus-620401

On the rack end, use a 45 degree fitting. This will connect to the O-ring PS fitting specific to your power steering rack. One the other end is where the fun begins. Ford uses a special double O-ring fitting on their pump outlet. One O-ring sits in the pump, and the other is on the fitting. You get both o-rings and the fitting when you buy the Edelmann 92400 power steering hose. I found this after trying a standard PS fitting and then the PS fitting with the O-ring at the head. Both leaked. So I bought the Edelmann line for this fitting:

I took it to a local hydraulic line shop and they cut the hard line and crimped on a fitting with a 3/8” JIC male end. JIC is the steel equivalent of AN. Both use a 37 degree flare. Since the power steering fittings are steel, there is no dissimilar metal contact. Bolt this small piece to the pump outlet and then connect to the high pressure power steering line. Here’s how I routed my lines:

With everything connected, add fluid. Prime the pump by rotating it clockwise. With it primed, add the belt. The pulley is 6 rib, and I found this belt worked:

Gates K060390

Adjust the power steering bracket for tension, and start it up. Use a vacuum pump, or turn side to side until all the air is out and check for leaks. Enjoy the ease of PS.

I've go karted mine for a few miles and so far I like the PS. It doesn't seem twitchy, but I haven't been above 35 mph. If that happens, you can always add a Heidts valve.
    Last edited by ClemsonS197; 05-19-2014 at 11:58 AM.
    MK3.1 #7076 - Under Construction....
    Coyote 5.0/Solid 8.8/Tremec 3650
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering
    05-09 T3650 in a Roadster

Post Thanks / Like
    ClemsonS197, thanks for taking the time to put this DIY together. It is one of many bits of info I'm trying to amass for my build. I don't own a kit yet, just soaking it all in. Really great info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another thank you for sharing, still trying to decide on this vs electric.

Forte's Parts Connection
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Dale,
    I make a P/S pump kit with a spring tensioner. I can post a picture tomorrow.
    NOTE: This only fits later model Coyote engines with machined bosses on the front cover.
    Framingham, Mass. 01702
    [email protected]
    508 875 0016
    www.fortesparts.com
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...?v=info&ref=ts
    The Early Ford & FE Tremec were also originals from Mike. The Mustang firewall adjustable quadrant kit also is an original from Mike. His latest developements are external slave clutch release conversions & cable release conversions too.
    Tremec Elite Distributor for: T-5, T-56, T-56 Magnum & TKO-500 & TKO-600
    TKO-500 & TKO-600 Midshifter, Front shifter, offset Corvette shifter and more...
    A REAL SPEED SHOP with parts, price & knowledge....
    Est: 1981 selling & building performance parts to build your dream car...
    FORD RACING & QUICKTIME DISTRIBUTOR. NEW 5 LUG AXLES & BRAKE KITS & NEW 8.8\" REAREND IN BOTH IRS & FOX AXLE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, pictures please... Also, what style pump are you using in this setup? Can the cut spring approach to adjusting the power assist be used on it or would a heidts valve be necessary?

Quote Originally Posted by mike forte View Post
    Hi Dale,
    NOTE: This only fits later model Coyote engines with machined bosses on the front cover.
    Framingham, Mass. 01702
    [email protected]
    508 875 0016
    www.fortesparts.com
    The Early Ford & FE Tremec were also originals from Mike. The Mustang firewall adjustable quadrant kit also is an original from Mike. His latest developements are external slave clutch release conversions & cable release conversions too.
    TKO-500 & TKO-600 Midshifter, Front shifter, offset Corvette shifter and more...
    FORD RACING & QUICKTIME DISTRIBUTOR. NEW 5 LUG AXLES & BRAKE KITS & NEW 8.8\" REAREND IN BOTH IRS & FOX AXLE.
    Last edited by bansheekev; 02-13-2013 at 01:05 AM.
    MKIV, IRS/TruTrack/3.55s, Coyote, TKO600, Wilwoods
    Delivered: 1/6/2012
    First Start: 1/19/2014
    First Go-Kart: 2/1/2014
    Graduation: 1/4/2015
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the March serpentine setup with alternator and power steering. It's pricey but fits and works great, and also adds some bling to the front of the engine. They also offer a setup with AC. It uses a GM Saginaw ps pump, so I needed custom braided stainless hoses which were easily obtained from Summit. I'll try to post photos later.
    Coyote powered Daytona Coupe Competition Racecar #21
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod
    2009 3rd place NorCal series
    2010 3rd place West Coast series
    2011 2nd place NorCal, 2nd place West Coast Series, 3rd place WERC class E1

Post Thanks / Like
    Does the March setup use a tensioner or a manual bolt adjuster like the Ford Racing bracket? I like the idea of the tensioner. I looked at the March setup but it is really really pricey... Little too much for me I think.

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by tcoon View Post
    I used the March serpentine setup with alternator and power steering. It's pricey but fits and works great, and also adds some bling to the front of the engine. They also offer a setup with AC. It uses a GM Saginaw ps pump, so I needed custom braided stainless hoses which were easily obtained from Summit. I'll try to post photos later.
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    March uses a 2 belt pulley on the water pump. That is driven by one belt for the alternator/crank pulley, using the stock Ford tensioner. The PS/AC belt is separate and uses a bolt tensioner. Clearance for the double water pump pulley is really tight around the upper radiator hose but so far seems to work well.
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Attached are photos of the alternator system, power steering system, and Heidt's valve. I have found the Heidt's valve to be invaluable over the last 3 years racing a challenge car. Best $75 spent to improve the driveability of the car!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (49.1 KB, 905 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (60.7 KB, 794 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (59.4 KB, 858 views)
    Challenge series #21
    FFR 33 Hot Rod

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike forte View Post
    Hi Dale,
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonS197 View Post
    10 days later and Mike still hasn't posted a picture. That sounds about right for the quality service that Forte's provides.
    Interesting......

Forte's Parts Connection
    Post Thanks / Like

Forte's Coyote P/S

Hi Guys,
    This is a picture of the Coyote P/S I make.

Mike Forte
    Forte's Parts Connection
    40 Pearl Street
    Framingham, Mass. 01702
    [email protected]
    508 875 0016
    www.fortesparts.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Warning: After trial and error, the s197 pump relieves at 1,530 psi. This is much higher than the previous sn95 and fox steering pumps. This will very likely cause seals to fail on any power steering rack you try. I'm currently looking a pressure reduction options.
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonS197 View Post
    Warning: After trial and error, the s197 pump relieves at 1,530 psi. This is much higher than the previous sn95 and fox steering pumps. This will very likely cause seals to fail on any power steering rack you try. I'm currently looking a pressure reduction options.

Thx for the update. Please keep us posted regarding the solution for the excess pressure (Heidt's valve or new PS pump or both?).

I plan to use a similar setup re PS pull location and my rack requires a pump with less than 1000psi. I presume a Heidt's valve would be able to reduce the pressure to the necessary level? I am still looking for the best solution.

Thx

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is the reply I got from the guys at KRC when I asked about the pressure relief ratings:

"Remember the PSI rating is only the maximum pressure of the pump will go before it goes into pressure relief. Most steering systems only require 800psi or less in the most extreme situations. The only time you need more is if you turn to full lock and hold it pressure will build then it will relieve at the relief rating."

Clemson, are you seeing rack failures due to normal use, or something similar to their comments above?

Kevin
    Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    Thx for the update. Please keep us posted regarding the solution for the excess pressure (Heidt's valve or new PS pump or both?).

I plan to use a similar setup re PS pull location and my rack requires a pump with less than 1000psi. I presume a Heidt's valve would be able to reduce the pressure to the necessary level? I am still looking for the best solution.

Thx
    A Heidt's should work. I had a junk S197 pump that was supposedly being sent. The guy flaked so now I'm looking for another junk pump to take apart. According to Ford, there should be a spring we can cut or shim to reduce the pressure just like the Fox pumps.

Quote Originally Posted by bansheekev View Post
    Here is the reply I got from the guys at KRC when I asked about the pressure relief ratings:

"Remember the PSI rating is only the maximum pressure of the pump will go before it goes into pressure relief. Most steering systems only require 800psi or less in the most extreme situations. The only time you need more is if you turn to full lock and hold it pressure will build then it will relieve at the relief rating."

Clemson, are you seeing rack failures due to normal use, or something similar to their comments above?

Kevin
    So according to Ford a Fox pump relieves at 1,200 psi. The pump I have relieves at 1,530 psi. The first rack I had I turned lock to lock a few times trying to work the air out. A few drives later noticed a leak. At the time I figured it was a junk reman. But now I'm not so sure. So I've gone through a few remans with terrible luck. Mainly worn pinions that have 10-15 degrees or play before engaging the rack. So I looked in to an AGR, which is where all the pressure issues were brought up. AGR only wants 1,000 psi max to their racks. So I'd need to get the pump situation figured out.

On a side note, after watching all the women on the 5 day women's build one hand that Mk4 with a manual rack, I'm tempted to try manual.
    How to:
    Coyote Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=On a side note, after watching all the women on the 5 day women's build one hand that Mk4 with a manual rack, I'm tempted to try manual.[/QUOTE]

I currently have the manual rack with FFR halibrand 17's and the rack works great (very tight, car tracks extremely well and has fantastic road feel) however parking lot maneuvers are a little tricky. I am early 50's and do not mind the extra parking lot effort but I think the power rack would be nice to have - I have an AGR rack that I will be installing at some point once I find the correct pump that works with the lower mount location (next winter's project - if I can wait that long - I love this car).

Not sure if that helps but most seem to go with PS even though with a Coyote it seems to be a little more work.

Good Luck