Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: North Texas Owners

Post Thanks / Like

North Texas Owners

Gentlemen,

I am not an owner yet, but am currently in the planning phase of my mid life crisis project. I am looking for a registry of sorts that can tell me if anyone around the Dallas/Ft Worth, Texas area owns a Type 65. There are plenty of Cobras around, but I have yet to see a Type 65. Can any of you fine gentlemen help me out?

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Robert,

Check out this site: http://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=117342

Post Thanks / Like
    I know of 3 coupes in the north texas area.
    Mine Mckinney, TX
    Jeff Prosper, TX
    Larry Carolton, TX

Post Thanks / Like
    There is one that shows up at many of the DFW Texas Cobra Club get togethers. You can probably hook up with him if you go to the Club Cobra website and post something in the Texas Cobra Club area, unless you already found him ss95003? The person I'm thinking of tracks his Coupe on a regular basis..
    Proudly Driving: FFR MKIII #5392, '89 donor, 306 EFI, T-5
    GT40P-Heads, 3-link, 8.8 / 3.55 Rear, 4 Wheel Disk Power Brakes,
    17" Halibrands, 4X4 Headers, Koni Shocks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    There is one that shows up at many of the DFW Texas Cobra Club get togethers. You can probably hook up with him if you go to the Club Cobra website and post something in the Texas Cobra Club area, unless you already found him ss95003? The person I'm thinking of tracks his Coupe on a regular basis..
    Blue with white stripes. that one is Larry's. He was nice enough to give me a ride and check his out before i bought mine. mine is in roller stage right now. other 2 are finished.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ss95003 View Post
    Blue with white stripes. that one is Larry's. He was nice enough to give me a ride and check his out before i bought mine. mine is in roller stage right now. other 2 are finished.
    Yeah, that's the one!

Post Thanks / Like
    As far as I know theres not many coupes in Texas. I know of one in the Houston area off the top of my head. I think theres a few more out in the outskirts of Houston. Other than that I honestly dont know of many from Texas but those that have I would be interested in hearing from them myself. Still trying to figure out how they got their coupes titled and registered cause state law states kit cars are to be registered and titled as the year completed meaning they have to have the same year or newer engine and pass that years emission tests. I hate to try and fabricate up emission systems for a coupe to be compliant with 2011 or newer cars. Probably be cheaper to just go and buy a new car like the new Mustang or Challenger.
    -Owned
    '56 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan, '63 Chevrolet Belair, '78 Mercury Cougar XR-7, '82 F150 Flareside

-Wish List
    FFR Type 65 Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    kit cars as of today to not have to meet emission standards. Mine coupe is not regstered yet so I can't tell you exactly how it works. The guy down the road from me (Jeff) just took his to get inspected last week. no emissions test. however did fail due to windshield whipper issues. which seems to be a common issue on the coupes. Rusty there should be plenty of ffr cobra's in houston and the registration process for those would be the same as the coupe....you can check with some locals there and get details.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is only if he got it registered as a 1965. If its registered as the year he built it, then its required to undergo emission testing. That is the law in texas. Once it hits 25 years old after the year of the car which is when its built then its exempt. That is what state law says. There is undoubtly a way around it since others have done it but going off what I currently know is where my concern comes in.

That is my problem is because in Texas kit cars are titled as the year they were built in not the year they replicate. So a kit car titled as a 2010 would be required by law to under go safety and emission testing like any other car titled as a 2010. Like wise the engine has to be the same year or newer than the year of the car on the title otherwise that is illegal as well.

I am seriouslly curious how people are getting it done because state law is clear but I know people have gotten around it and got their car titled as a 65 which I would prefer. But seeing as I am employed at a state inspection shop, scheduled to take my inspectors course in the near future if I go about the kit car and its not done legally I could potentially lose my job or cause my boss to lose his business and license.

I would love to talk to others in the houston area on how they got theirs done. I just dont want to buy a kit and blow $15,000 on the kit and then another $15,000 on building it to completion and then end up with something I cant sell to recoup my expenses and I cant register cause it doesnt meet the requirements.

On another note, I do have alot of ideas for a coupe build and some confusion on what would be the route to go on some areas but I would like to get one be worth alot more to me than some of the other cars I want to get in the driving department.
    Last edited by Rusty_S85; 03-06-2011 at 08:34 PM.
    -Owned
    '56 Ford Fairlane Town Sedan, '63 Chevrolet Belair, '78 Mercury Cougar XR-7, '82 F150 Flareside

-Wish List
    FFR Type 65 Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    well if you are about to be the person testing then you know more about it then me. but i can tell you i know many people that have them reg as year completed not 65 and they were not required or even asked about emissions. And yes in an emissions county.

O yea and if you plan on getting a coupe plan on spending more then 30k. the more you hang around this and the other forum the more ideas you will get and the more money you will spend.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is why I am weary cause reviewing the study guides for the job thats what I am told. On the inspection I was told reguardless of what year its titled as the insurance you can have that say 1965 instead and it would be old enough to not undergo emission. Problem is though you scan the vin and its sent to the state capital for approval and record keeping. I would be concerned with that since it would be on record that the car being new enough to require a emission test and one wasnt done.

Aside from that I will have to talk with other owners theres probably a loop hole has to be cause ive heard of some saying they got theirs titled as a 65 by saying they assembled a car using a prefab body but I dont see that option for Texas as a way unless its not listed.

I know all about that, I am being very generous on my estimate. I had a price tag figured as high as 40k but I cut alot of ideas out that wasnt really necessary. I head ideas ranging from having the fuel injection setup that looks like the webber down draft carbs down to a Tbird IRS rear end on to A/C and Heat. I think I might keep the Tbird IRS in my design but cut the EFI webbers out and go with a single 4bbl EFI setup instead, be cheaper even if it doesnt look "right". Cost wise though I could save a good chunk of money since I could do most of the work myself.
    -Owned

-Wish List
    FFR Type 65 Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    Rusty, hundreds, maybe thousands of us have built FFR's and other kit cars in Texas and managed to get them titled and registered. Texas Sub-Courthouses are very inconsistent in their interpretation of the laws.

Long story short, most Inspection Stations will inspect the car based on the year that is stated on the Insurance Card. If one gives you guff, go find another inspection station.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its not the inspection station issue. I am scheduled to take a class to get my inspectors license. The problem is though you have to scan and enter the car into the state database. It could throw up a flag without a emission test if the car is considered new enough to require it. When you enter the vin number it pops up with all the information and you verify it. If you alter the data that potentially could throw up a flag especially if you omit a emission test for a car titled as a 2011 model. My boss has gotten alot of greif because he runs the emission test on all cars reguardless if a manual or an automatic as an automatic because the manual transmission mode has a precise rpm that you cant maintain.

That is my concern with it, I know it could be titled and registered easily but my concern with is losing my license and my job because I am not doing something legally. That is why I am concerned with this. People building the car dont have to worry if they dont work in the field because their not the ones that get in trouble with the state for not inspecting correctly.
    Last edited by Rusty_S85; 03-07-2011 at 02:07 PM.
    -Owned

-Wish List
    FFR Type 65 Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know Rusty. FFR's don't come with a standard VIN and the frame/chassis number certainly isn't in the State of Texas database. Additionally, just take your car to a different inspection station and don't inspect it yourself or at the location you work at. I doubt you will get in trouble (lose your license) with the State if it was a different inspection station that inspected your car and made the decision to pass it. The State certainly isn't going to know that you are a licensed inspector if you take your car to a different location. Just like the State doesn't know that I'm a licensed peace officer when I take my car to get it inspected.

I personally think you're blowing this up into something bigger than it really is, but I guess it's a decision you will have to make for yourself. Good luck.. Joe - -
    Last edited by Joe; 03-07-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The VIN number that the state will give to the vehicle (all vehicles have to have a VIN number) or the "serial number" that FFR supplies with the frame/chassis if it is registered as the vehicles vin number it is registered with the state and will be obtainable by DMV computers as well as through the state inspector systems. Its a way to tell the inspector if the car is legal or not. IE if the vin number was possibly swapped.

I cant legally inspect the car myself, but I was going to let my boss do it, he does all my other vehicles and he offers a discount. Not only that but he feels the same way I do that most of the inspection aspects is pointless bs. Thats why I prefer him as an inspector for my vehicles.

I might be blowing it into something bigger but considering how hard work is to find at this time and how long it took me to get this job I prefer to be on the safe side before I make any decision that could potentially end my license. There is alot of things that could get my license revolked and one of them is if I incorrectly inspect a vehicle and pass it when it should be failed.

I will say that I am cautious when it comes to stuff like this. I know on one hand I want to get the coupe but on the other hand there are some aspects that concern me. One of the biggest ones is I just am not that comfortable with forking out $15,000 from the start and not receive a product in return at the same time. I cant drive and pick the kit up myself and pay for it that way so I would have to go through a shipper but that is a concern of mine considering how much money it is. I could do a finance thing but I dont want to spend a dime more than I have to. Its not like I dont trust FFR, but in any case I guess ill just take the risk and go through with it reguardless. Might be a headache but I guess if worse comes to worse I can always sell the kit if I cant get around any legal issues.
    Last edited by Rusty_S85; 03-07-2011 at 03:17 PM.
    -Owned

-Wish List
    FFR Type 65 Coupe

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the biggest ones is I just am not that comfortable with forking out $15,000 from the start and not receive a product in return at the same time.
    Pay with a credit card and get the points / cash back ($$$$). Pay the credit card bill off within 30 days and pay no interest. If FFR fails to deliver the product then contest the charges and get your money back. With that said, FFR WILL DELIVER. That should be the least of your worries! Enjoy the build, you will love it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh I know FFR will deliver, I havent seen anything negative about their service to date that would make me not believe that. I was thinking about the credit card route, I also thought about finacing but since credit card companies are supposed to be better now adays I think I will go that route.

Just have to wait till I get the space before I can place my order though. Checking out the other forums I got from FFcars I seen alot of people from Texas talking about theirs and its not bad. Its just the way how the law is worded makes you wonder if its going to be a pain but in reality its fairly easy.
    -Owned

-Wish List
    FFR Type 65 Coupe