Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Evan's '33 Build #497

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good. I am using the same engine /trans combo. Could you take a picture of the P/S motor after you reclocked it? Thanks for such a good thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Evan, did your kit come with a hood liner and a trunk liner? If so can you post a pic? I don't remember seeing that on my parts list and its now on the FFR site as part of the package in the "what you get" list.
    Nick Sebastian - 33 Hot Rod #495
    Factory Five Forums - hdnik
    FFCars - lowntubd

Build Site/Blog - www.nicks33hotrod.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I cant wait to fire it up and see how it runs. I will see if I can get my camera in close enough to show you the bolt mounting locations. hdnik, I'm not sure if I have it either. I will have to go through my inventory again to check.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Looks good. I am using the same engine /trans combo. Could you take a picture of the P/S motor after you reclocked it? Thanks for such a good thread.
    Because I had to clock the EPS motor downward to clear the oil pan, the housing where the wires come out of the motor hit the motor mount bracket. I removed it and used a grinder to put a small radius on it. I used the existing top hole and rotated it clockwise and aligned it in the factory other hole toward the outside of the car. I then drilled out that third hole you see in the picture. I opened up the other holes a size or so because i didn't want to fight To realign the bolts. I hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Evan, you may need to take the old Italian reforming tool to that pan to give you some clearance. Almost all of us had to rotate that steering unit so don't feel bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ehansen007 View Post
    Hey Evan, you may need to take the old Italian reforming tool to that pan to give you some clearance. Almost all of us had to rotate that steering unit so don't feel bad.
    I figured it was a common problem... FFR keeping us on our toes.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a pre-planned modification, so everyone can feel like they've done something special.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a good analogy jayguy. It adds to the sense of accomplishment I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't understand why FFR tells guys to install the power steering unit prior to dropping in the engine. Install engine, now tighten that motor mount nut, locate the power steering unit with the correct clocking with respect to clearing the oil pan, drill new holes if necessary. The ps unit will not fit properly with all oil pans. You need to use a pan that is based on a stock pan e.g. Champ Pan. The interference that you discovered between the ps unit and the bottom of the motor mount shouldn't be there if the unit was clocked as per FFR. That isn't to say that that clocking is right. The bottom of the mount was actually changed to accommadate the unit. On the pre-production chassis I had to trim close to a 1/2" off of the lower part of the mount. Also, the original mounting flange only had holes for the standard steering flange bearing.

Here are some old pictures.

Final position after modifying the motor mount and drilling the holes for the ps unit.

original motor mount

another of the final position

and another

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the photos and hints. I will install mine after the motor is in. I like that light weight steering shaft to the dash. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info Olli. Boy you had to remove a lot of material from your motor mount bracket. I agree that I probably should have put the motor in first. I will have to figure out a way to tighten that nut because the last thing I want to do is pull the motor again.
    Last edited by esff32; 02-01-2013 at 06:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had my front rims and tires mounted and balanced today. I know I made the right choice now after seeing them on the car. I will have to wait a few months to get the rears but they will be worth the wait. Here are a couple of pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome tires and wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wallace18 View Post
    Awesome tires and wheels.
    Thank you. It was not an easy decision, not only the style but the sizing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Frankly Evan I am blown away at your progress in just a few weeks. You got your kit just before Christmas right? I got mine mid January and only have the front end mocked up. I gotta get my *** in gear and start re-prioritizing things.

Kudos man!
    FFCars - lowntubd

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I did, I got it on December 23rd. I was just looking at my progress today and I was thinking that I feel like I haven't been in the garage all that much. Just a couple hours here and there. I am trying to balance family time and we just had another baby so I would imagine I will probably slow down a bit. To this point I haven't spent one full day in the garage. My budget is starting to get thin but I have a vision of what I want the car to look like so I don't want to do it half ***. If it takes me longer to finish, so be it. Thanks for the kind words and I am looking forward to seeing your '33 come together. Nice '67 Chevelle by the way... I had one in college. It was one of my favorite cars.
    Last edited by esff32; 02-02-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed the headers today. They are BBK 15110 polished ceramic. The fitment was pretty good with a nice thick flange. The short FFR exhaust pipe that bolts up to the header appears to be hitting the bell housing around the starter. I might have to persuade it to fit.

Last edited by esff32; 02-02-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking REALLY good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by esff32 View Post
    Evan,

Getting ready to mock up the rear end. I was curious as to why you chose to install brakes on the backside of the axle. In speaking with Kevin Shea, he suggested that I mount them on the front side to facilitate parking brake cable reach. This was confirmed for me by the brake instructions. (Page 5)

6. Install the brake caliper brackets so that the caliper will mount on the front side of the axle. Use the four 3/8”-16 flange bolts provided and torque them to 45-50 ft/lbs.
    Last edited by hdnik; 02-03-2013 at 09:07 AM.
    FFCars - lowntubd

Post Thanks / Like
    The rear end is out of a '96-'98 Mustang Cobra. I bought it rebuilt and pre-assembled from a company on eBay. I just threw it in as is. I'm not sure if I can reverse them or not and if there is a benefit one way or the other. Have you purchased the parking break cables yet and if so what part # did you find. I have seen a lot of info about this subject but I have yet to find out a definite solution.
    Last edited by esff32; 02-03-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought the 11.65 rear brake kit from FFR PN 14834. It came with 2 e- brake cables PN 14690. Like the front brakes I guess you have to swap left to right to keep bleeder up. Other than cables reaching I don't suppose there is any benefit functionally.

Maybe someone else can opine on this matter!
    FFCars - lowntubd

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I was thinking, I looked at the bleeder screws and they are pointing upward. I can't seem to find that part #. Lokar makes a universal fit one but I understand people have had problems with that also.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will be working on mine tomorrow nite and will take some pics. You can see if there are any differences between your set up and mine. Not sure if that'll help at all.
    FFCars - lowntubd

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was commenting on Wallace18's build page that the oil filter may hit his EPS motor like it did on mine. He is also running a 351 windsor. I may have found a solution and I wanted to know if anyone has used this part before. It is a Ford Racing 90 degree adapter part # M-6880-A50. According to Summit, it is compatible with my '69 year block. My thought is if I point it toward the front of the car with a short filter, it should work. I would rather not use a filter reclocation adapter. If anyone has any thoughts, I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by esff32; 02-03-2013 at 11:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    They also make a shorty oil filter too that will work. Evan, you are flying man. Money held me up too. But look at it this way, you don't want to blow through it either. It's too much fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you happen to know what brand. I have looked at a couple short filters and have not been able to find something that will work. The filter needs to be no taller than 4". I'm addicted to buying parts, it's like Christmas all year! I may need your help on tackling the electrical. Remember Erik... Electrical assistance = Booze for you.

On another note, do you know what steering wheel hub adapter application the hotrod uses. I put a seat in the car and it as I suspected, the steering wheel is too close to me. I need to get a short hub. I'm sure NRG has something.
    Last edited by esff32; 02-04-2013 at 03:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    As I mentioned in the other thread, WIX 51311 (Napa 1311). The 51311 has a published height of 3.372" and the Purolator L17019 has a published height of 3.25". FFR actually mentions the L17019 in the manual. All of those filters are easy to buy. I use the WIX 51311 and keep a few on the shelf. You can see how it fits in the 4th picture that I posted earlier in the thread.

Olli
    Last edited by Olli; 02-04-2013 at 04:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Olli. I had a hard time finding the dimensions but after a little more research, I was able to find it. Hopefully one of those will work.

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't quite finished plumbing the rear brakes because I am not sure if the body will rub on the brake line where I ran it. I am holding it on with clecos until I have an opportunity to test fit the body. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone has a photo of this area on their '33 so I can see if I need to re-plumb it. I know the manual says to keep the line inside that angled square tubing because the wheel well area is close. I'm not sure why i didn't turn it inward before the vertical tube but apparently I had a synapse collapse perhaps. Any help would be great.

Last edited by esff32; 02-04-2013 at 10:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hdnik View Post
    I will be working on mine tomorrow nite and will take some pics. You can see if there are any differences between your set up and mine. Not sure if that'll help at all.
    Evan. Rather than me posting here, go to the last post on my build page to view the rear end and brake brackets from my 8.8 here... http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...(Canadian-33-)
    FFCars - lowntubd

Post Thanks / Like
    Will do. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Olli View Post
    As I mentioned in the other thread, WIX 51311 (Napa 1311). The 51311 has a published height of 3.372" and the Purolator L17019 has a published height of 3.25". FFR actually mentions the L17019 in the manual. All of those filters are easy to buy. I use the WIX 51311 and keep a few on the shelf. You can see how it fits in the 4th picture that I posted earlier in the thread.

Olli
    image.jpg

WIX - Oil Filter
    Part # 51311

Product Details Compatibility
    WIX - Oil Filter
    Part Number: 51311
    Line: WIX
    1 Year Limited Warranty
    UPC: 765809513112
    Detailed Description
    Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
    Service: Lube
    Type: Full Flow
    Media: Paper
    Height: 3.372 in.
    Outside Diameter (Top): 3.661 in.
    Micron Rating: 19
    Thread Size: 3/4-16
    By-Pass Valve Setting (PSI): 16
    Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
    Beta Ratio: 2/20=8/21
    Burst Pressure (PSI): 331
    Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM

Gasket Diameters

Outside Diameter: 2.834 in.
    Inside Diameter: 2.462 in.
    Thickness: 0.200 in.
    FFCars - lowntubd

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the details. I will have to pick one up and give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    I mounted the radiator and grill this afternoon however I cannot figure out how the overflow tank mounts up to it. The manual has an exploded view of it however it does not give detail and it is a poor quality photocopy (blurry). It looks like it lines up with the tabs that mount the fan to the radiator but it the lock nuts hit the fan. I would appreciate it if someone could send me a few detailed pics of how it mounts.

Last edited by esff32; 02-07-2013 at 12:08 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking great Evan. Wish I could help you on this question... Rest assured I'll be goin' to school on the reply you get.
    FFCars - lowntubd

Tech Support Manager, FFR Tony Zullo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    HI Evan if you put it on the side of the radiator it really looks out of place , i had put it on the fire wall looked realy good!!
    Tony@ffr

Post Thanks / Like
    Your Honor, I'd like that last remark stricken from the record! haha just kidding Tony. I think a clean firewall looks better and when the expansion on the side of the radiator, it looks the part of the cooling system and it's all in one place. Just my opinion. Give me a call Evan and I'll let you know how it fits.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will give you a call later today Erik. Also did you happen see the earlier photo of the 60" brake line going toward the rear end? In your opinion, is it going to hit the body? I haven't had help available to test fit the body to check. I don't want to permanently attach it until I verify it won't hit.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast