BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Evan's '33 Build #497

Post Thanks / Like
    I mounted the radiator and grill a few days ago. Its starting to look like a car.

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great job so far. It is looking great.

EFI Rules and Carbs Drool Arrowhead's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Your really making some progress. Funny, I think we are so used to the crooked grill, we forget how nice it looks when straight like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by esff32 View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    It went in very easy. I read a bunch of the other posts and saw how much of a pain in the *** it was. Even the brackets were aligned perfect with the edge of the grill.

Tech Support Manager, FFR Tony Zullo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Evan looks killer you'll be do doing burnouts before you know it !! Tony@ffr

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tony. It will be awful tempting until I recall how much the tires cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Boy this picture sure did help me. I thought I was missing stuff from the pictures in the manual and PDF. I had to modify mine the hole were not deep enough to use the bolts supplied. Thanks for the great photos.

Updated clutch quadrant mechanism

Post Thanks / Like
    I too have had questions answered by referring to Evans and many other pics on this site . Just great guys. Loving this project.
    Nick Sebastian - 33 Hot Rod #495
    Factory Five Forums - hdnik
    FFCars - lowntubd

Build Site/Blog - www.nicks33hotrod.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. It took a call to Tony at FFR to put me on track with the clutch quadrant. It was a head scratcher for sure. I installed the stop however I'm not sure it is necessary considering it has a quasi-stop built in. Also, be careful with the clutch bracket locating template supplied in the manual. I put mine on the firewall and transferred the holes not really thinking it would be off. My clutch cable rides slightly crooked through the bracket. I dont think it will be an issue but i wish i would have double checked the alignment prior to drilling all the holes. The firewall has a crazy amount of flex. I read in many other posts about this issue and the body is supposed to limit this but i will probably fabricate a brace for added support. I may also go to a hydraulic clutch in the future. Here is a photo.

Post Thanks / Like
    After a couple weeks of down time on the car, I had a chance to tackle some of the projects on the car with my buddy Dan. We started off by test fitting the body to see if there were going to be clearance issues with how I ran the brake lines and it appears that there is plenty of room. He helped start some of the wiring on the motor and removing the plastic loom for some nicer looking braided style. There are a lot of wires that I will not be using however I am leaving them coiled up behind the dash. I am just about finished plumbing the rear brake lines (finally). The Speedhut gauges are very nicely packaged and organized. The sending units are weather tight and are nice quality.

I have been been getting some shipments lately. I got my shift lever and knob, drivers seat slides from FFR, and my switches. The fuel pump and regulator I originally purchased wasn't going to work so I returned it for another, so I'm waiting for that to get here so I can work on the fuel system. Here are some pics of the progress and I will post some of the switches tomorrow.

Last edited by esff32; 02-27-2013 at 12:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are a few pics of the switches I am going with for the build. They are made by Joes Racing and come partially pre-wired.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Like the switches, a style I have not seen in these cars, original! Also like the wire wrap, can you share some details on it?
    FFR HR #530
    Race car theme, Tim Whitaker roll bar, Autometer Autolite Gauges, Satin Black, SBC 383/700R4, 8.8 rear with Cobra Brakes, 3.29 gear, Boyd Tank, QA1 springs and shocks,

My build blog: http://jacks33hotrod.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    I hate overpaying for stuff like wire loom, extra wire, sound deadening material etc.. I found this stuff on Amazon and saved a few $, because I would rather spend more of my budget on other parts. The manufacture of the product is Techflex. I purchased 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2". I unfortunately didn't pay attention to the fact that the 1/8" and 1/4" are not split loom but I made it work. It looks much nicer than the plastic style Ron Francis uses.

Post Thanks / Like
    A couple more progress pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great! It is a race rod for sure. Keep up the great posts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I made a flex bracket for the firewall but the idea is that mounting the body will eliminate it. Still, if you don't get something, it will bend during go kart testing. I left mine in but it looks like I'll have to remove it to put in my new clutch clutch quadrant parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to try and put something similar to that on mine. It may work with the new clutch quadrant if it mounts a little higher on the inside of the firewall. The angle would be steeper but should work. Thanks for the pic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine isn't pretty but very strong. Does not move.....period! Will be painted before the body goes on for the last time.009.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, it works...you won't even see it. In my mind, I think it really should have the added support and not rely on the body alone to resist the flex. Thanks for the pic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well... It has been slow going on the '33 lately with a 2 mos. old baby at home but I was able to get a few hours today with the help of my lovely wife. I picked up my pulleys from Allistair at Millerspeed and they are impressive. I also went with his alternator bracket and a Powermaster alternator. It went on so easily I thought I was doing something wrong. I'm waiting to put the crank pulley on until I get my rockers adjusted.

I also started fabricating a brace for the firewall to limit the flex. It isn't any easy task due to the fact that there are a lot variables to consider, i.e. body, clutch quadrant, bolting location, etc. I will post pics when it is done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good Evan. I'm on hold until I go to the build school and some parts I've ordered arrive. I envy you guys Us residents... Getting stuff up here takes forever sometimes.
    FFCars - lowntubd

Post Thanks / Like
    Have fun in the build school, that would definetly help the process along. I was very lucky, the only two parts on back order on my kit were the front shocks and clutch quadrant and they came about a week after the kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I hate overpaying for stuff like wire loom, extra wire, sound deadening material etc.. I found this stuff on Amazon and saved a few $, because I would rather spend more of my budget on other parts. The manufacture of the product is Techflex. I purchased 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2". I unfortunately didn't pay attention to the fact that the 1/8" and 1/4" are not split loom but I made it work. It looks much nicer than the plastic style Ron Francis uses.
    Do you mind me asking how much of each length you bought? Was it enough? Too much?
    FFR HR #530
    Race car theme, Tim Whitaker roll bar, Autometer Autolite Gauges, Satin Black, SBC 383/700R4, 8.8 rear with Cobra Brakes, 3.29 gear, Boyd Tank, QA1 springs and shocks,

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I got about 50' of each which was how it was sold. I am only replacing the stuff you can see from under the car and in places like the engine compartment. I am not that far into the electrical aspect of the project to know if I got enough... I sure as hell hope so. I will keep you informed as to whether one size or another is better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Starting to look really good! Thanks for posting detailed pictures

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Vman7. I fabricated a support bracket to help keep the firewall from flexing and this is what I came up with. I may have to notch the flange of the body near the firewall a bit but we will see. The firewall doesn't move at all, I think it will do the trick...especially the way I plan on driving it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good looking bracket. Nice work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Wallace, I stole the idea from Erik from 33 Machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Evan, I was looking at your photobucket pics and noticed an engine tranny stand you have. Did you amaze it or buy it. If so where did you get it.
    FFCars - lowntubd

Post Thanks / Like
    I borrowed it from a buddy of mine. I believe it is a Harbor Freight job. 500 lb capacity if I remember right.

Post Thanks / Like
    I finally had some time to work on the car and I recieved a package from Jegs with all my fuel system AN fittings. Here are a few pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    My good buddy Dan came over again to help me tackle the electrical... I was feeling a little overwhelmed. I haven't had any time to work on the car with a 4 mos. baby boy at home so I wanted to make the most of our time. I fabricated a bracket to hold the Painless aux fuse panel and mounted it in a similar fashion as tHE Ron Francis one. Dan wired up my switch panel including the push button start. We left a lot of slack in the harnesses because I'm not sure if i will mount forward of the shifter or behind.

I also finished up the fuel line going from the regulator to the carb. I still need to wire up the gauges and the battery cutoff switch. Here are a few pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good man. I wasn't aware you went with the single pumper carb. Think it will be enough? I'm glad you found someone to help you with the electrical.

e

Post Thanks / Like
    The carb came with the entire drivetrain I bought from Scott Fraser. I will probably go with something different later. It ran on the test stand with the current setup and produced 400 HP with 400 ft lbs of torque?? Good to hear from you bro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Continued some of the wiring with my buddy and was able to get the exhaust mocked up and mounted. I hope I'm not gonna have problems with the mufflers blowing out and having to redo everything, like others have, but it went in okay. I am going to fabricate my own side exit exhaust tips, not a big fan of the round tubes. The gauges are wired up and we were able to remove quite a bit of the unused dash harness wires. We rewired it using the plugs for ease of disassembly. Still have some wires to run for the cutoff switch and stereo etc..

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like your project is coming along fine. I use the same blankets on my build. Great job so far!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you sir, just plugging away whenever I have time. Cant wait to see yours after you get it back from the body shop. Take care.

Post Thanks / Like
    Once again, finally found a bit of time to work on the '33. We finished the battery cables minus the jumper posts I am going to add. I decided to upgrade to 2/0 cable... Hindsight Im not sure it was necessary but its done now. Installed the last of the brake lines in the rear so I should be able to bleed them now. We ran a harness for the stereo and speakers. I mounted the battery cutoff switch behind the passenger seat and I like the way it is somewhat inconspicuous.

Once i do a final adjustment on the rocker arms, i should be very close to firing it up. My rear wheels still have not come in. I ordered them in January and they keep pushing back the delivery date one month at a time, so now its August. Here are a few progress pics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome build and some very helpful pics. Have you had two different master cylinder reservoirs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My good buddy Dan came over again to help me tackle the electrical... I was feeling a little overwhelmed. I haven't had any time to work on the car with a 4 mos. baby boy at home so I wanted to make the most of our time. I fabricated a bracket to hold the Painless aux fuse panel and mounted it in a similar fashion as tHE Ron Francis one. Dan wired up my switch panel including the push button start. We left a lot of slack in the harnesses because I'm not sure if i will mount forward of the shifter or behind.

I also finished up the fuel line going from the regulator to the carb. I still need to wire up the gauges and the battery cutoff switch. Here are a few pics.

Does you buddy Dan make road trips to help out others...lol. I am tackling mine now.
    FFR HR #530

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast