FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Koni shocks for Challenge Racer

Post Thanks / Like

Koni shocks for Challenge Racer

The car I am acquiring has Bilstens all around. Rules state I have to at least replace the fronts. However, the FFR part# in the rules does not come up on the web site. Now I can call on Monday... but miss the opportunity for some good advice?!

I have a friend with a coupe with kit supplied Koni shocks, and he is replacing with Koni DAs. Kit is about 5 years old. Can I take advantage of these? Or a they the wrong Koni part number (which is the rule intention I am sure)

Suggested spring rates?

And while I am at it, is the $175 FF tow hook kit the best option?

Spindle kit and sway bar from FF already, and brake rotors and calipers all ordered with info from prior posts - thanks guys!

Having fun reading NASA CCR, HPDE & TT rules, and of course the Challenge Series rules. Hope everyone is having some great holidays!

Eric

Challenge Series Director FFSpecRacer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe Factory Five is your only source for the Koni shocks. Give them a call, ask for Jim Schenk, and you can ask him if the coupe shocks are the same as ours. We're still working on getting the springs right. 600 front and 500 rear are pretty safe though. FF tow kit is the simplest.
    Brian [email protected]
    Great Lakes & Midwest Region Series Director

Post Thanks / Like
    I will say the variating spring rates is part of the fun in the tuning and differences between each car. I am running 700 fronts and 500 rears.
    2012 NASA-SE FFR Champion
    2011 NASA-SE FFR Champion
    Race page - http://www.mh-motorsports.com/race.shtml
    Team Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/MH-Mot...s/264814350042

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Eric

The shocks you have to get from FFR. When you get them make sure to set them to full stiff. As for spring rates, It really depends on what you want the car to do handling-wise, and where you are at. At MidOhio I think my setup ended up being real aggressive, 550lb fronts, 500lb rears with swaybar in the middle. People usually run 150-200lb split with the fronts being heavier, and the closer the # are the more aggressive the setup is.

Tow hook from FFR is good, trust me I've used it..

This is in the rules 15.4.5 http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/f...lenge/ffr2.pdf :
    The spec front shock is Koni #30-1720 (FFR#14622). The spec rear shock is Koni #30-
    1721 (FFR#14623)
    . Alternatively, the Bilstein 274SR rear shock may be used on the rear until
    12/31/2015. NOTE - The use of Bilstein 273SR front shocks is strictly prohibited.
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems the coupe kit has the Koni "front" (FFR#14622, Koni #30-1720) shocks all around, with 500lb & 700lb springs, and since I am getting such a great deal (and unused) I will buy those and try the 500lb springs first with the sway bar. I will get the rear Koni's from FFR later on.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info on the spring rates/sway bar settings (and tow hook!).

Eric